TCM Genre movies schedule...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Klaus, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

"HYDE SMASH!"

"HYDE IS THE STRONGEST ONE THERE IS!"

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And that whole thing about the fiancee and her disapproving father is very reminiscent of Betty and Thunderbolt Ross...

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Plague of The Zombies - Is this a Romero type Zombie movie or a Voodoo style Zombie flick?

5. Christopher

^According to the synopsis in the link, it's a voodoo-type movie. Which makes sense for 1966, since the co-opting of "zombie" for non-voodoo-related walking dead pretty much began with Romero's Night of the Living Dead two years later.

6. Dantheman

Dantheman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Last night, I watched the original Village of the Damned on my cable's OnDemand service in the TCM section, and I was struck by how much it reminded me of the X-Men. The only thing I know that Village of the Damned influenced on the X-Men were the Stepford Cuckoos from Grant Morrison's run, but still....

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yep, modern zombies would actually be classified as Ghouls, at least by the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manual.;)

8. RJDiogenes

Yeah, Plague of the Zombies will be traditional zombies. I'm going to tape that one. I miss Voodoo zombies.

Speaking of Voodoo zombies and On Demand, one of the On Demand stations has Sugar Hill on, which is a 70s Blaxploitation zombie movie. I remember reading about it in Tales of the Zombie or something when I was a kid and finally got to see it. It was pretty funny. :D

9. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"The Gorgon" with Cushing and Lee also features a small role with Patrick Troughton as a police inspector. (It aired a few weeks ago upon the Sony movie channel and I just stumbled upon it.)

Sincerely,

Bill

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I've seen it. It's definitely old-fashioned voodoo zombies, albeit set in Cornwall, rather than Haiti or New Orleans.

As I recall, it's worth checking out . . ..

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some cool classic and rare animation starting on Sunday night with Dave Fleischer's Gullivers Travels and Mr. Bug Goes to Town at 8PM EST, and ending with the stylish silhouette animation The Adventures of Prince Achmed at 1:15AM. In between, there's Mr. Magoo, Krazy Kat and other assorted shorts.

12. RJDiogenes

Really? That sounds great. I've seen Gulliver's Travels and probably some of the others, but not for many years. I'll definitely be checking that out. :bolian:

13. Greg Cox

FYI: TCM is having a Poe-themed film festival tonight, with THE RAVEN, MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE, THE BLACK CAT, etc.

Warning: any resemblance to the actual Poe stories is minimal in the extreme!

(And need I mention that THE RAVEN was scripted by Richard Matheson?)

14. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw a little of Gulliver and most of Mr. Bug, which was actually pretty cool...

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw the animated "The Tell-Tale Heart" by UPA the other night and it was awesome. And accurate.

Although Robert Osborne really needs to learn to pronounce "Tell-Tale." He kept pronouncing it as "Tale-Tale." Every. Single. @#$%. Time.

Who's Richard Matheson?

16. Christopher

Better than the way he pronounces Gojira (aka Godzilla). "Go-jeet-ah."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Matheson

17. Greg Cox

Okay, that just hurts . . . :)

The Incredible Shrinking Man, I Am Legend, The Night Stalker, Somewhere in Time, What Dreams May Come, Duel, A Stir of Echoes, Hell House, TOS's "The Enemy Within," numerous classic episodes of original Twilight Zone, including "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" and "Steel" . . . .

Basically, one of the most influential sf and horror writers of the last century. Trust me, you've seen something written by Matheson or based on one of his books or stories. He also scripted several of the old Roger Corman "Poe" movies starring Vincent Price.

(Full disclosure: I've been Richard's editor for over twenty years now.)

18. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

As soon as I saw the question, I thought "Yikes, wait til Greg sees that!".. :lol:

19. RJDiogenes

Richard Matheson is legend.

Did I ever tell the story of the nice letter I got from him in the early 80s?

I taped four hours of the animation marathon the other night and I'm a little more than halfway through; I just started the silhouette feature. Amazing stuff. "The Tell-Tale Heart" was amazing.

I'll probably tape The Raven tonight. I think that's the only one of the bunch that I don't have on DVD, but I'm not sure. I'll check later on.

20. Greg Cox

No, I don't know that story. What did Richard have to say?

The Raven is a fun movie. I always look forward to it as a kid, long before I ever dreamed of working with Matheson professionally, and even arranged a screening on campus back in my college days.

Be aware, though, that, unlike the other Corman films, The Raven is very much a horror-comedy being played for laughs, and has only a tenuous connection to the original poem. Price and Karloff play dueling wizards, while Peter Lorre plays the Raven. (Really.)

And did I mention that a very young Jack Nicholson is cast as Pete Lorre's son?