Anyone read these fantasy and urban fantasy series?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 12, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I came across some fantasy and urban fantasy series that sounded interesting while looking around on Amazon over the past few months, and I was wondering if anyone here was familiar with them?
    The series are:
    Merlin by Mary Stewart
    Elemental Assassin by Jennifer Estep
    Alex Craft by Kalayna Price
    The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne
    Riftwar by Raymond E. Feist
    Aretemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
    Realm of the Elderlings by Robin Hobb
    Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams
    The Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
    Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson
    Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
    Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs
    Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
    Lorien Legacies by Pittacus Lore
    Women of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong
    Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
    Temeraire by Naomi Novik
    Maximum Ride by James Patterson

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I've read some of The Wheel of Time and Percy Jackson and the Olympians. The first three books of WoT are pretty solid, and from what I hear the next two or three are also good, and then the series starts to stutter and slow down until the tenth book or so. Someone more familiar with the series would be better able to describe it.

I've read the first three Percy Jackson books and I found them to be pretty solid and entertaining. It helps if you're a fan of Greek mythology. Just keep in mind that they're Young Adult novels, so they're written for that audience.

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've read Mists of Avalon. I thought it was a great book even though I'm not really the target demographic.

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Most of the Riftwar series is good, but it goes on a bit too long, and some of the later ones are very samey and treading-watery. The original Riftwar trilogy and Serpentwar quartet are great though

5. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I've read the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson and thought it was wonderful. I also highly recommend The Way of Kings by the same author. It is the first and so far only novel in a planned ten-volume series.

6. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Seconded.

7. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Percy Jackson is pretty fun... kinda Harry Potter-like, but with Greek myths and gods instead of magic school...

The Hunger Games were meh in my opinion... i read and enjoyed them, but they're not a set of books i'd go back to regularly...

Riftwar just kicks ass :D

Wheel of Time i highly recommend... it's a set i do go back to and reread happily :D

M

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How important is it to read these from the very beginning. I do most of my reading on my Nook, and the first Riftwar book available for Nook is Krondor: The Betrayal.

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

There are some alternate places in the series where you could jump on if it's necessary, but K:TB isn't one of them. It originated as a PC game tie-in to the Riftwar books, and the author took the game material and turned it into novel fodder. Unfortunately, it shows. There were three Krondor books (so far), and each one gets progressively more by-the-numbers and repetitive and, well, game-ish. They do have their moments, but that's about it. Besides, their significance to the series is limited to the setup of a couple of very minor plot points appearing in the later Serpentwar books (which I believe were actually written first).

The books feature a number of existing Riftwar characters, but some of them have pointless walk-ons that will have no significance for you, and others are featured so heavily they'll be ruined for you by the time you go back to the original Riftwar books.

No, start with Magician if you possibly can. In earlier printings that book was broken up into two volumes, Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master. I have no idea how it's distributed for the Nook. The following books are Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon, which comprise the balance of the Riftwar series proper. By the way, these books cover about twelve years of character time.

There's a tie-in series set around the same time, the Empire series by Feist and Janny Wurts. Those three books are Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire and Mistress of the Empire. These books show what's going on on the "other side" of the Riftwar, in more ways than one. They aren't really essential reading, though, so you can skip them if necessary.

Going by strict chronological order, this is where you could read K:TB and the others, as they're set about ten years after the end of the Riftwar. Or you can skip them with impunity.

The next pair of books, are set twenty and thirty years after the Riftwar, respectively (or beginning ten years after K:TB). They're informally known as the "Krondor's Sons" series and consist of Prince of the Blood and The King's Buccaneer. Each of these books is a standalone and either one could probably be skipped. However, they do set up some things and introduce some important characters for the following series. This is especially true for The King's Buccaneer.

The following series, the Serpentwar series, is set about 25 years after the end of The King's Buccaneer or something like 55 years after the end of the Riftwar. It covers about 5 years of time and consists of four novels: Shadow of a Dark Queen, Rise of a Merchant Prince, Rage of a Demon King, and Shards of a Broken Crown. If you had to start somewhere other than the Riftwar proper, I'd start here.

The next series is set something like 30 years after the Serpentwar. This series is the Conclave of Shadows and consists of three books. However, I've only read the first one, Talon of the Silver Hawk. Beyond that is the Darkwar series with books I can't even name, so my advice has to end here.

Feist wrote these books to flesh out a quasi-historical rolegame he played with his friends back in the day. His game was set about 500 years later, so these books basically form the backdrop for the game. A lot of the characters are long-lived either naturally or through artificial means, so they show up more often than you'd think despite the amount of time that passes.

Anyway, hope this helps.

10. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Haven't read any of those (though I did see the first Percy Jackson movie).

There's a few you've missed by lesser-known authors that are really good:

the Bedlam's Bard series by Mercedes Lackey
    the Diana Tregarde series also by Mercedes Lackey
    The Young Wizards series by Diane Duane
    The Hollows series by Kim Harrison

I would stay away...FAR away from the Anita Blake books by Laurel K Hamilton. Starts off ok, but about 4-5 books in Anita turns into a horribly over-the-top author-insert/Mary Sue character.

If something a little more commercial is your speed, look for the older (pre-Wizards of the Coast) Forgotten Realms novels, esp those done by Ed Greenwood (I'm thinking specifically of the "Spellfire" duology), and Elaine Cunningham (the Harpers series and anything she writes having to do with elves). The early RA Salvatore "Drizzt" books are pretty good too, but he kept that series going too long and it got a bit much in the later books.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm already reading the Hollows and Drizzt books. I've heard good things about Mercedes Lackey's stuff, and Young Wizards, so I might add those to my list later.

12. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you liked Riftwars, then you'd more than likely really enjoy the Quantum Gravity books by Justina Robson...

Highly recommend the series... it's somewhat comparable to the old Shadowrun stuff, but very well written and explored... a fantastic universe for a lot of adventures :D

M

13. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I recently read the first two installments of this series. A friend of mine started reading them and recommended them to me. She compared them to The Dresden Files, which is my favorite urban fantasy series. The books are quick, light reads and are amusing. I'd say the tone of the books is Dresden Lite.

14. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

JD, I'm going to make one more pitch to you. There's a new book series that started last year. The first one is called "The Demon's Apprentice" by Ben Reeder. I know him personally, and was privileged to be a "beta reader" on it when he was first starting it.

I can't give it a higher recommendation. I think you'd enjoy it, and book 2 is nearing completion.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

For Urban Fantasy you can't go wrong with the Shadowrun books.

16. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

^The early ones, certainly. They got worse as time went on, just like the game.

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I'll admit the insect shaman stuff wasn't great, but over all, I enjoyed alot of the books.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the recommendations, those sound pretty cool.

19. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Mary Stewart Merlin series, excellent books and Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson, nifty Greek mythology research.

Courtway Jones did an Arthur/Merlin trilogy that was rather good as well.

20. kythe

kythe Commander Red Shirt

I'm pleased to see how many people have read the Percy Jackson books. I was introduced to them a few years ago when my daughter read them for her 4th grade class. But even as an adult, I was instantly hooked and zipped right through the series. They are fast paced, light entertainment based on Greek mythology. Rick Riordan really knows his source material, and sticks to the spirit of the Greek myths while placing them in modern times.

I've also read every book in Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon series, though the original "Mists of Avalon" is by far the best. I've read it 3 times, and each time I get something different out of it.