On Board the Enterprise-D

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Feb 22, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Its a book and CD-ROM (yes a CD-ROM) from Mike and Denise Okuda. It's small but its nice to see their return to non-fiction Trek after a long absence, and what better topic than the symbol of STNG but the E-D!

[​IMG]

2. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can you provide a review of the contents of both the book and the CD? I'm curious as to why they went the route of recreating everything in CG rather than use the source images used in the interactive technical manual (at least in part).

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ok so the verdict is: This is a terrific book to get your children into the show, or for the unenlightened. It's on the short side but it has all the basics and presented with a modern graphical look. I think longtime fans will be less impressed, there isn't a lot that's new here, but as I pointed out, the simple fact that it's a rare (but ever-increasing) non-fiction Star Trek book makes it worthwhile to support so we can get more of the same.

RAMA

4. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know about this book. I've posted similar in other threads before, I can't see the point.

I'm sure it's top quality work, excellent production all around. But even casual fans know all about the bridge and Ten Forward and where the warp nacelles are and so on.

What's the interest for a decades-long TNG fan in seeing bridge illustrations indicating "This is where Captain Picard sits" and "This is the Ops Station". How is that new or interesting for us? Who is this book for?

If TNG is new to someone, and they haven't gotten all the other ST books like this, okay this one is swell.

But unless there's really something new and NEVER-before-seen, this one isn't for me. And I've got ALL the ST stuff.

5. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Non-fiction? The Enterprise-D really exists?

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yes, on many desktops and shelves all over the world!:techman:

7. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lol'd at CD ROM

Seems like a good idea though, what I really want is a new Star Trek encyclopedia, there is a season of DS9, 4 seasons of Voyager, 4 seasons of Enterprise and soon to be 3 feature films that need adding.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Meh. The only way this would be interesting if it was an "open-world" concept allowing one to roam the halls of the Enterprise-D entirely, based off the blueprints.

Yeah it'd be a ridiculous undertaking by those involved as the ship is utterly MASSIVE but it'd be interesting as hell.

9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Yeah, a bit disappointing. Nothing really new. The big CGI Enterprise orthographic views are nice, even if they labelled he sensor trench as phasers. The rest we've all seen before.

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

A lot of that could be alleviated by having a few repeating spaces, and messages like "nothing but crew quarters here; would you like to turn back or go on through", which would trigger either a return or a skip through to the next non-repetitive section.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the problem is those images were only at a 640X480 resolution, and wouldn't be quite the size or HD quality we're used to now.

12. davejames

Actually I just got mine in the mail, and am a bit disappointed to see it's just one of those thin SW Dictionary-style books. I was really looking forward to hearing the Okuda's perspective on the making of the show, and maybe getting a few interesting stories we haven't heard before, but instead the book just describes different parts of the ship and how things work (ho-hum).

Still though, I'd say the book is WELL worth the price for the CD and 3D tour. There is some REALLY cool work in that, and it really shows off just how much great design was in that show. You get to see every square inch of the Bridge, Engineering, and Picard's Ready Room, and you even get a tour of Beverly's office. My favorite though was getting to see the bridge from the viewpoint of the Captain's chair.

Shame there weren't a few more rooms though. I would have loved to have seen the crew quarters, Ten Forward, and the vast Main Shuttlebay. And we sadly don't get to fly around the exterior of the ship either. :(

13. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it all had to fit on a CD-ROM with 700 MB of space.

I guess the CD-ROM answers the question of who this product is for: your parents and their 10-year-old computer.

14. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

I was about to say, who has a functional computer with a CD only drive?

Time to take the bold leap to 2005 and make a DVD-Rom. 4.7 gigs of assorted nerdry. Boom.

15. davejames

It worked in my DVD drive. And I think any optical drive will do actually.

Whatever the case, it's certainly a whole lot faster and smoother than the glitchy old Interactive Technical Manual.

16. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Actually, I read on Amazon that the actual data for the virtual tour is only about 100 MB small. (I don't own the book, so I can't look it up myself.) So I dare say there is enough space left to do a lot more locations on the Enterprise-D.

As for the whole thing: I'm not sure this is something I would want. The artwork looks rather lame and there doesn't seem to be much new information in it (if any at all). A virtual, free-world tour through the whole ship where I can visit every room? I would buy THAT!

17. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Not to mention licensing. Simon & Schuster probably still have copyright on the old stuff.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they did something like this for the new movie Enterprise I'd get in in a flash. But for the 1701-D? Been there, done that. Technical manuals, floorplans, the Fact Files... I've had more than enough for one lifetime.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yes, that's how optical media works. I doubt anyone was concerned about a CD-ROM working in their DVD-ROM drive.

20. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wasn't too sure about it at first, but I'll probably give it a second chance, because Tobias Richter's company The Light Works was involved in creating the CG content (tons of prior involvement in Trek calendars, the effects for the TNG Blu-rays, many fan films, ...).