Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally figured it out. It seems that the redstone lamps were glitching the place out somehow. When I filled in the holes in the roof I had the lamps turned on so nothing would spawn in there, and that caused the sunlight to not update properly in some areas. By turning off the lamps (and going into peaceful mode), reopening the holes in the ceiling and then filling them in again the lighting updated correctly. Weird glitch.

[​IMG]

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Glad thats taken care of.

Hey and I finally found a jungle biome in my Single-player map and its truly spectacular. Growing around a sheer mountain rising out of the ocean. I almost expect to see dinosaurs tromping out of it.

Unfortunately getting home will involve floating out to a tiny island, sinking to the bottom of the ocean, then wiggling into a tiny hole leading to an underground cave, into a portal, then a long walk through the nether, to a second portal.

So no kitties for me. :(

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

On our server, we were using a mod to keep monsters from spawning in built areas. Now, that mod doesn't work anymore (and it's been abandoned), so this one castle is full of monsters. Last night, one of the people who lives in the castle was being attacked all over the place. He thought he was safe, and then he heard zombies beating on a door. :lol: Wish I could have been there, sounds like a riot. Poor guy got killed several times, trying to place torches to prevent monster spawns.

4. Cutter John

I predict a big increase in the use of piston operated doors and pet iron golems. :)

5. Robert Maxwell

Plus iron doors. Zombies can't break those (except on hard.)

I really need to look into what all has been added in 1.1 and 1.2, as I haven't played in a while, and it seems they added lots of stuff...

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I edited my save to go into creative mode, I planted a few villager eggs in the town I built around my fortress (pre beta 1.8), and now my town is populated with villagers with two iron golems patrolling the inside of my fortress. On the plus side I have free protection from monsters, but on the minus side the villagers have made their way into my house and tunnel network. They've given me a fair few shocks so far.

7. Cutter John

I hope we can get to mods back up on our server soon. At least the 'restore items' and mod commands. I'm starting to think the only way I'm going to populate my village is with a spawner. :p

And heres the Lost World island from my single player map. waterfalls, hidden ponds, sheer cliffs, occi's scampering around. I really love it, even though its a huge pain to try and explore. Just like a real jungle I guess.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Robert Maxwell

Very cool! And yeah, I will get our mods back as soon as I can. There are a couple alternatives to Scavenger that I'm exploring--and waiting for one of them to be 1.2-compliant. The other big one I'm waiting for is xWarp.

We have an update for MeasuringTape, supposedly for 1.2, except it doesn't work.

9. Cutter John

No problem Robert. I know you're doing what you can.

Interestign thing about growing a huge 4-sapling jungle tree. It appears with vines already attached.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  10. Robert Maxwell

Heh, I suspect that's relatively easy to handle in code:

Code:
    if (tree.just_grew())
    {
         if (biome == JUNGLE_BIOME)
         {
              tree.grow_vines()
         }
    }

(This will not compile, derp.)

11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if one could coerce vines to grow onto other surfaces. I know it can be done manually by placing vines, but it'd be cool, if they could grow out of control like vines often like to do.

12. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I think it would be cool if mobs had different skins for different biomes- zombies would look like frozen mummies in the snow biome, creepers would adopt tan camouflage for the desert, etc.

13. Owain Taggart

Oh, imagine a chameleon mob, one that can change its appearance based on the type of block it's on... :D

14. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

Camouflaged, teleporting creepers. You're welcome. :D

15. Robert Maxwell

They could call 'em supercreeps. :lol:

16. Owain Taggart

Damn, maybe I shouldn't have suggested it. That'd be the stuff of nightmares :lol: I imagine they'd be super rare.

17. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So i thought i'd give it a try.. Can't/won't work on my i3 iMac with 10.6.8.. I tried the older "minecraft classic". I wasn't able to get it to run.. Java is all up dated.

Heres the thing though. For shits and giggles i tried it on my old g5 iMac with 10.4.11. Classic seems to work fine on it.

What am i doing wrong?

18. Robert Maxwell

"Wasn't able to get it to run" doesn't say much. What happens when you try to run it? How are you trying to run it?

19. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry.. lol you are right i didnt give very much with that.. i tried it on my browser.. both firefox and safari.. the "play screen" just shows black..
    It asks if i want to run it.. i tell it yes.. it never loads.. hope that helps.. im typing this from my phone so sorry for any mistakes..:techman:

20. Robert Maxwell