Lost 5x06: "316"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 18, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

57.3%
  2. Above Average

20.0%
  3. Average

17.3%
  4. Below Average

4.0%
  5. Poor

1.3%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the grading & discussion thread for Lost 5x06: "316".
    [highlight]***SPOILERS AHEAD***[/highlight]​

"316"

[​IMG]

"The way back to the island is revealed to members of the Oceanic 6, but there's trouble ahead when not all of them wish to return."

This episode and "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham" were written at the same time by executive producers Lindelof and Cuse. "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham" was originally meant to be aired first, but the order was switched because Lindelof thought it would be "cool". - Wikipedia

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Wicked. I can't wait. :D

3. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

*Squees a little*

4. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Easy Excellent. No other show comes close so it just has to be excellent.

5. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Definitely excellent. What a mind fuck of an ending!

6. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

Best of the season so far :techman:

They're back baby!

7. Agent Richard07

Above Average.

- This episode felt different from most other episodes. It was faster paced with very little stalling. They went from the arrival at the church to the plane trip to the island all in one hour.

- I wonder what happened to Ben and why he got beat up.

- I wonder how and why Sayid got arrested. I'm especially curious about how he got remanded into someone's cusdody and put on a plane so quickly. Didn't he just leave everyone behind on the dock a day or so earlier?

- I wonder what happened to the plane. I assumed it would crash, but it looks for now like only the Oceanic 6 + Ben got "pulled" off in a flash or something like that.

Based on spoiler news, I'm guessing that at least two new people will be on the island with them.

- It was nice to see Frank again. For a moment, I was happy that we were gonna have him back on the show, but again, I'm not so sure that he'll be on the island.

- Speaking of Frank, I wonder why he didn't turn the plane around when he saw Jack and the others. I wonder why Jack asked for him in the first place. He could have jeopardized the mission by turning back.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  8. The Nth Doctor

Gods, I LOVE this show! :D

From beginning to end, this episode was fantastic. The opening with Jack in the bamboo forest (AGAIN!) to Jin pulling up in a shiny new DHARMA van!

Mrs. Hawking gave us a lot to chew on, but at the same time, left us hanging terribly. Who was the person she was talking about? Hopefully not Widmore.

There were a lot of gaps we missed out on (like Ben's mauling, where Aaron and Ji Yeon are, how Hurley and Sayid showed up for the flight, and so forth) but based on what I know about the next two episodes, I don't think we're going to see any explanations anytime soon.

Next week's episode looks to be awesome (and how am I not surprised that Ben was there goading John to kill himself?). Walt is set to appear, so hopefully that'll address why he wasn't on the flight with the rest (and maybe Aaron and Ji Yeon, too).

Of course, another burning question is how will Desmond show up on the Island? Will his boat with Penny and Charlie get caught in another storm and crash land? It does make sense that he shouldn't be on the flight since he wasn't on it with them before.

I want more episodes. NOW!!!!!

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent. Best episode since the season premeire. Fast-faced and tense, a lot happened in this one.

-Having those extra passengers on the plane is a good way to bring new characters onto the island. Pretty selfish of Jack to get on that plane with them already on it.

-Can we nominate Jack for the most whipped man alive? How the hell does he accept Kate's refusal to give him an answer about Aaron? A three-year-old boy who happens to be Jack's nephew, is nowhere to be found and he's going to let Kate get away with saying nothing? To quote Captain Picarad in Yesterday's Enterprise "Not good enough, damn it! Not good enough!"

-Really wonder what went down with Ben on Desmond's boat.

-I know it's television but could Hurley really do what he did in buying up 78 seats and not bringing anyone on? I imagine that would bring up an immediate red-flag and prohibit him from boarding the plane.

-Good scene with Jack's grandfather. That came out of nowhere but it worked.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Another 3.5/4; two classics in a row!

Finally, the O6 storyline manages to be surprising. I never thought they would return via plane crash, I'd always assumed it would be via magic teleportation or by ship. Desmond didn't go with them (unless his dead body was in the cargo hold!).

Now we know where the Ajira Airways wreckage came from! Obviously the bad guy from "Three Kings" and "Traitor" is a Widmore soldier who will be the one shooting at the Faraday group in the canoe in the earlier episode. Or Yves Harlow from Lone Gunmen. Are the two working together???

Dude. Kate drowned Aaron in a bathtub. Dude. If she just put him up for adoption would she really be freaking out this way? I'm actually half-convinced this is true!

So we learn how Dharma discovered the Island in the first place and find our first off-Island Dharma Station. Sweet.

So my current assumption: Ben slaughtered Desmond and Penny and Lil' Charlie.

I thought Ben couldn't go back and was exiled from the Island. And I thought he TOLD Jack he wasn't going back in the S4 finale at the casket. Is Ben wimping out and going the selfish route? Is Ben the reason they ended up in the 70s? I think it's probably more that Des wasn't there. Dude even FRANK was there.

I loved Frank before, but he lost the beard, man. That beard was 50% of his character! He is so much less interesting to me now. :p

The entire boarding the plane sequence worked much better than I thought it would. The way characters just magically showed up. The way Sayid is the new Kate, Hurley the new Charlie. I bet Ghost-Charlie came to Hurley and told him to go and take a guitar with him.

I bet you every single person on the plane is a Widmore soldier. They found out the O6 were all getting on the same Pacific plane and loaded it with agents. Oh yeah, best line of the night: Jack asks Ben what happens to the other people on the plane: "Who cares?" :D :D :D

Even the ending twist was kewl. So not only does Faraday infiltrate and work for Dharma but the entire group does. I can't wait to see this!!! I love Dharma.

11. Agent Richard07

I forgot about them and apparently so did Kate and Sun. :lol:

By accident? By boat? Both? :lol:

12. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't seem like anyone else got sucked off the plane, but it sure seemed like they were setting up the other passenger for the future, as well as Frank. We'll see...

...and I bet Sayid was extradited by some strings pulled by Widmore, he's probably got a long rap sheet from his days as an enforcer for Ben.
    [​IMG]

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Answers... moving the plot ahead... but now even more questions. This is why I love Lost.

14. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

Excellent. From beginning to end, it was a gripping hour that went by too fast. They even used the exact music from the pilot for the opening scene. Loved the moment about Jack's dads shoes. Finally, a mystery solved! :lol:

Good to see Yves Harlowe too. :)

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So even though the O6 returned to the Island it's still jumping through time. I think the season finale will be Des (and Aaron? and Ji Yeon?) arriving on the Island in his sailboat with Penny and Charlie (assuming they're alive, anyway) and thus completing the circle and stopping the spinning.

Did they even mention Sun's child in this episode? It's weird the others wouldn't even ask. Don't tell me she drowned him in a tub too?! But I guess he's just with Sun's mother.

16. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, that had me in stitches. Ben, you're such a bastard! I love it! :lol:

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

EMH: "Mrs. Hawking gave us a lot to chew on, but at the same time, left us hanging terribly. Who was the person she was talking about? Hopefully not Widmore."

I don't remember what you're talking about, what was the context?

Was it just me or was Ben at his most demonic looking on the plane, in the dim light, smiling like a chesire cat, hunched over with his glasses hanging down his face, looking at his book, placating Jack. What book was he reading btw? It looked like "Odysseus" or "Odyssies"?

18. Agent Richard07

I took note of that too and yeah, it was a nice.

19. The Nth Doctor

She was talking about a smart man who figured out how to find the Island. I might have a missed a few lines because a few people in the room were talking. :mad:

Yes, Ben looked positively evil in this episode, especially in that scene. As for the book he was reading, I believe it was Ulysses by James Joyce.

20. Agent Richard07

How many references to "316" were in this episode?