Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

What were DS9 and Voyager filmed on? Are they all on film too? Or did things change after TNG ended

2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9 and VOY were shot in the same way as TNG as far as I know, albeit with CGI replacing model effects work. Hence, the FX would have been edited on videotape so would need a similar process for restoration that TNG has had and DS9 would need.

For the record, whilst I'd be indifferent to actually buying Voyager on BD I certainly wouldn't begrudge the show being remastered, for the sake of its fans, of which there are many. :)

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

In DS9's case, not replacing...supplementing. :)

4. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. I can't wait to see the final act of The Jem'hadar in HD.

5. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Voyager started out as a model too, no?

6. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, there's quite a lot of model work on Voyager too. I'm pretty sure Enterprise was the only show that went 100% CGI.

7. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

He`s been on stage several times- in LA, San Francisco, Miami (always in leading roles).
    In February he has been at Tuscon Song Festival to play Astor Piazzolla in an interesting Musical.
    https://originals.azpm.org/s/13899-passionately-piazzolla/
    This time he`s shooting a movie called "Brother Jonas"
    Here`s the trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaHBfdWxzJA&feature=youtu.be
    In June he will do a movie called "Resilient" together with Virginia Madsen.
    http://wholemovieinfo.com/berlin-2013-montecristo-and-digital-magic-reteam-for-resilient%E2%80%A8-2/

I don`t think that there will be more negative special features. There are many conventionclips or transcripts where the cast talked about how much they liked working on Voyager and how much they liked working together.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  8. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm not going to bother pre-ordering anymore. The last two seasons have had last minute price drops near release day and Best Buy has had ample supplies each time I went in. I was able to get S3 for $59.99 and BoBW for $14.99 this afternoon.

10. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Preordering through TrekCore helps TrekCore stay running, though, according to their Facebook page; since they're ad-free, I'm happy to pitch in that way.

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I'm going to try to not get the Redemption set and just go with Season 4. I have to use these gift cards some time right? When Season 4 comes out, it will be a year since Season 1 came out. Time flies when you're having fun I guess. By years end we'll only have 2 more seasons to go.

12. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

13. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amazon gives you a refund for the difference if it drops any time up through the release date. So I got them on release date, for the same price, and don't have to go out of my way to shop. :techman:

14. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At some point, I bet TrekCore will have the uncompressed trailer for download.

15. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Right. Our trailer on youtube is full 1080p from the uncompressed source, i just haven't got around to putting them up for download yet.

16. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I think they are choosing based on appeal to general audiences. People would not buy a full seasons. So subjects which are popular, The Borg and the Klingons. You can tell by the cover art. Its similar to the themed Fan Collective sets.

So I have no doubt this will be done with Unification. Its an easy sell. I have heard TOS fans complain that they want the guest appearances episodes without needing to buy the whole seasons. I could see causal fans, whether older or from the new films, being curious to see it too.

Also I think being a two parter within a season, it works better as a movie than some of the later cliffhangers. Which were not written to be seen as a movie. The cliffhangers often felt like having a climax in the middle of a movie, so that the second have was usually a let down. The first part of Unification is a build up, the Search for... Spock. ;) So I think it actually plays much better as a movie than as two separate episodes.

17. DJ Mike

DJ Mike Ensign Red Shirt

Amazon UK have this up for pre-order for just £41 right now which is the lowest they've ever had one of these before release!

18. Ysmalari

Ysmalari Ensign Red Shirt

Yup if you're a UK customer I'd get in on that Amazon pre-order now if you're going to pre-order from anywhere, I can't see it being cheaper than that anywhere else and I wouldn't be surprised if that price creeps up as we get closer to release. If hell freezes over and the price drops further elsewhere you can always just cancel the pre-order!

19. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I certainly hope I am wrong and you are correct. :bolian:

20. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Releases like BOBW and Redemption serve a purpose that is lost on episodes like Unification - it combines episodes that would be separated by different discs/seasons/dates. It provides a temporary selling point by allowing fans to resolve the cliffhanger right away.