Who should be the Director for Star Wars Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Oct 31, 2012.

?

The Choices (Select up to 4 only)

Poll closed Dec 30, 2012.
  1. J.J. Abrams

26.6%
  2. Jon Favreau

17.0%
  3. Duncan Jones

22.3%
  4. Rian Johnson

3.2%
  5. Sam Mendes

6.4%
  6. Edgar Wright

5.3%
  7. Neill Blomkamp

13.8%
  8. Matt Reeves

2.1%
  9. Brad Bird

31.9%
  10. Frank Darabont

7.4%
  11. David Yates

5.3%
  12. Matthew Vaughn

10.6%
  13. Alfonso CuarĂ³n Orozco

7.4%
  14. Guillermo Del Toro

19.1%
  15. Ridley Scott

13.8%
  16. Other (say whom)

33.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

You're certainly dreaming if you don't think that Lucas has a clearly diminished ability to elicit compelling performances from his actors.

2. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I think a large part of Ewan McGregor's performance in both Attack Of The Clones and especially Revenge Of The Sith is some of the best acting in the saga. *shrug*

Anyway...rumours are running rampant today that Matthew Vaughan left X-Men: Days Of Future Past because he's being considered for Episode VII.

I'm not entirely sure I buy it, though...unless the rumours stem from him actually signing on.

3. So this rumor just sprang up on Collider, who supposedly have a pretty good track record with this kind of thing:

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7-matthew-vaughn/208715/
    Is Matthew Vaughn in Talks to Direct STAR WARS: EPISODE VII?

Their sources are positing that the reason Matthew Vaughan abruptly jumped ship from the sequel to X-Men First Class....... was for Star Wars and he's currently in talks now.

I hope it's true, he was one of my top choices! The combination of Stardust and X-Men First Class has me convinced he could do a great Star Wars film. He has great genre sensibilities, his main characters tend to be well developed, his style is dynamic without being a specific "type" of movie each time, and I think he can effectively move back and forth between a sense of fun adventure and mythic seriousness. I did enjoy Kick-Ass but I'm not using that as evidence, I'm looking more at Stardust and X-Men: FC. In other words... pleasebetruepleasebetruepleasebetrue!!!!!!!

edit: Tbaio beat me to it. I do kind of see that it's possible the rumor sprang out of speculation as to why he left X-Men. Still hoping it's true.

4. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I could totally get behind Vaughan directing Episode VII. I just don't see Disney/Lucasfilm wanting him.

He has a history for bailing on productions for various reasons, and they need to get Episode VII going yesterday.

He's also very strong headed and opinionated...which I think is great for an auteur, I'm not criticizing him. But I don't see Disney/Lucasfilm wanting someone who's gonna' fight them on major creative decisions. I see them going for a journeyman director, with a star writer.

I could be wrong, though...we'll see soon enough!

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

My choices:

Alex Proyas: A great visual storyteller. He'd concentrate on tone and mood which is soemthing that Star Wars has been lacking. I think he'd bring a similar sensibility to the franchise that Kershner brought to it.

Joseph Kosinski He did a fine job on Tron Legacy until the middle of the movie when the script let him down. He'd bring a light touch to Star Wars... he's not fancy, and Star Wars doesn't need fancy

6. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Those are actually two very interesting choices. I doubt Kosinski would want to get into another nostalgia franchise, though.

Proyas...I think he's a great choice, but his style might overwhelm it.

7. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And that he hasn't done a good movie since the 1990s is also a strike against him. Possibly Proyas could have a comeback with the right script, though, who knows.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot Vaughn did Stardust, I really enjoyed that one. After that and FC, I would be very happy to see him direct SW:EVII

9. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

And then there's that! :lol:

10. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Well...David Yates is definitely out of the running. He just signed on to direct WB's Tarzan.

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Anyone who knows anything about Lucas' artistic roots would know why he dislikes directing studio films but still directed the prequels. It's easy to google.

I don't get the cheerleading/love for Vaughn, but think Bird is a good choice, with Whedon on board for writing duties.

Just to add another name in the mix: Peter Berg. Decent action/sf director.

Would love to see Horner or Debney get a crack at the score.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rumor du jour, director of Safety Not Guaranted? Story.

13. lurok

For some strange reason Alien:Resurrection, Wanted and Catwoman come to mind. Never, never let a Euro auteur loose on a Hollywood franchise. ;)

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

LOL, Timur Bekmambetov is a Euro auteur now? :lol:

Have you seen The Darkest Hour? That's some Uwe Boll grade shit, my friend. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  16. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Colin Trevorrow is American. Considering Lynch was up for Jedi, an American director of an acclaimed and unusual indie film sounds suspiciously plausible.

And yeah Timur is really more of an action film director and Pitof is just some effects guy. Of the three Jeunet is the only one with actual auteur cred (by virtue of the brilliant Delicatessen, City of the Lost Children and Amelie).

And Alien: Resurrection was in fairness more Whedon's fault (a truly dire script with some idiotic ideas and wretched dialogue) than Jeunet's.

Also: The Welsh Richard Marquand directed Return of the Jedi, so Star Wars has been down the european director route before.

Does make me think which European directors would work for Star Wars. I suppose one could make a case for Luc Besson (mostly due to The Fifth Element), though I'm not his biggest fan.

17. lurok

:) I know Trevorrow's American. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment on arthouse/indie-meeting-Hollywood (hence the wink, and esp given Lucas' own proclivities) but can see why led to confusion. But I agree re: Whedon/Alien 4 and had forgotten Lynch was asked to do RoTJ. I personally think Lynch's Dune is a great example of what a genuinely visionary director can do with a SF epic, for all its flaws :)

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's also a great example of critics being dopes.

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Except according to that source Steven Spielberg is also directing one movie, something which he has outright denied.