Which versions of aliens do you imagine?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Nov 23, 2008.

1. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

What? How can one single writer fuck up so much, so consistently, and still keep writing? He's aiming for Marshack and Culbreath at warp 9.

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where's the fuck up? He made a creative choice you disagree with? Okay, cool, but that's not a fuck-up, that's a disagreement. Your tastes aren't the be-all end-all of Trekdom. I happen to enjoy Christopher's writing and look forward to Over a Torrent Sea.

3. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree w/ Sci. That was a very creative way to explain the difference between what we saw in TNG and FC/VOY. I may not agree w/ everything Christopher writes here on the bbs but his work is enjoyable. Just relax.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nosferatu? Are you referring to the Remans because they are simply a seperate species from the Romulans, and they are in no way replacing normal romulans. As for the new movie, Nero and his minions don't even appear to have ridges.
    Just check out the images here

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^I assume the Nosferatu reference is to Nero being bald.

6. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has it been established that Nero is, indeed, a Romulan rather than being in league with them? When the first pictures of him emerged, I recall Abrams or another producer commenting on the lack of ridges by saying 'there's a reason for that' or something along those lines.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, he does have pointed ears, and everything I've read has reffered to him as a Romulan.

8. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

This was uncalled for. One warning for flaming.

9. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

When reading Trek lit, I always imagine the newest/latest version of Trek aliens.

10. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

UGH, TOS Gorn FTW! i hated the ENT one... all right, it was cool it could walk properly, but it was so fake-looking...should've at least kept the mirror-ball eyes...

11. Trent Roman

You're right, he does have visibly pointed ears in a few promo images. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean he's Romulan... (ooh, plot twist).

12. foravalon

foravalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For Ranul, I can never shake the picture of Andy Mangels from my head. Give him some spots and a uniform and he's always going to be Keru to me.

[​IMG]

Andy's on the right.
    [​IMG]

13. foravalon

I do concur as well, I have similar feelings regarding Christopher's communications, but I have to say I really did applaud this aspect of GTTS. It was refreshing to finally have someone acknowledge the fact that a collective mind comprised of the knowledge of trillions of intelligences might not have difficulty reproducing in a manner other that assimilation.

The vague idea that they don't reproduce comes from a line by 7of9 in Voyager that has a very subjective meaning IMO. The idea that can't, that the Borg don't have the ability to reproduce on their own, that just defies onscreen evidence and all manner of reason to me.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, just to clarify, I'm pretty sure that what I described in GTTS was not exactly conventional reproduction, more like harvesting gametes from assimilatees and conceiving new drones-to-be in vitro. And that was following the precedent of the Borg incubation chamber we were shown in "Q Who," an episode written before the concept of assimilation was introduced.

15. foravalon

Which makes complete sense, no one's picturing Borg drones getting busy with each other (at least I hope not), but it's unreasonable not to envision the surgical portion of the assimilation process involving the harvesting of reproductive organs. It's a cybernetic race, they are just as adept at biological manipulation as they are at the technological. Once you have gads of reproductive organs it's not hard to figure out what to do with them.

16. Trent Roman

*Pictures giant green vats filled with floating genitalia* :vulcan:

17. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

Which wins today's Image We Least Want to Have In Our Minds award. Without any competition!

Paul

18. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ Whoa, whoa, whoa. You can't call the contest that quickly, particularly if I haven't even entered a submission.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They also had the incubation chamber, and made references to Borg babies in "One". Although I can't remember if they said anything about wether or not they were assimilated.

20. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

What you choose to enter is entirely up to you....! And since when did editors ever listen to authors complaining things aren't fair??