January Writing Challenge: Music of the Spheres

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Nerys Ghemor, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

First off, I would like to thank everyone again for your kind comments and votes for "Captives' Ransom"! I am very glad you liked it! And my compliments to the other entries in December--there was a lot of GREAT stuff!!

I really hope this challenge brings on a response of that magnitude. :)

I do apologize if this has been done already, but I'm kinda new compared to a lot of you.

==========

The new challenge is to write a Trek fanfic inspired by a song with lyrics that has NOT appeared in a Star Trek movie or show.

Here's an example (but I'm going to break rule #1, so I don't steal anybody's ideas by accident). Let's say you picked a song...oh..."Faith of the Heart."

Your job would be to write a story based on what that song makes you picture, feel, so on. The degree to which you incorporate lyrics and so on is up to you, but there should be some sort of connection between the song and your story even if just general theme/emotion.

Your story's title, however, must come from the song's lyrics (not the title of the song). In the example, "Faith of the Heart" wouldn't be a valid title--but "Strength of the Soul" would be.

Please, if at all possible, provide us a link to listen to the song. YouTube tends to be a very good source. If you can't find your song, then at least a link to the lyrics is required. (Both if at all possible.) Non-English lyrics are OK, but we'll need a translation if you go that route.

I'm going to give some extra leeway on length (we'll call it 5000 words), because I know some songs can really inspire a lot. Whether you use that additional length, however, is entirely up to you.

Deadline: 31 January 2009

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Thats a tough one... Cant wait to see the entries.

3. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Boy, I hope you guys like the collected works of Barney the Purple Dinosaur as much as I do! :bolian: :lol:

4. Kaziarl

Anyone want to help me preform hari kari?

And yeah, it's probably spelled wrong.

5. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

Bwahaha! Dude, at least some of the music from the Backyardigans is really good. My little rugrats love that show.

6. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Mhhhhhmmmmm, theme from The Rugrats.......:shifty:

7. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

The 'yardigans are awesome! Hey... wonder if I can work International Super Spy into a Section 31 story... :shifty: :p

8. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is really a cool idea, as quite a few 'scenes' in my stories have been influenced by songs I couldn't get out of my head.

For some of the misdeeds of the Baron's 'dragon' in Geometries of Chance, I called upon this song that I've never been able to get out of my head by PM Dawn:

http://www.imeem.com/kelvincrz/music/qUK7AyMT/pm_dawn_if_you_never_say_goodbye/

I'll have to give this some thought...

9. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

What an original and intriguing challenge...Now that Vesta;s out of the way I can hopefully start finding the time to enter again :)

11. Mistral

Oh, joy. SO glad to hear it, Starkers. (LOL). Big winnah cruisin' in at the last second again, eh?

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I've already started my story so hopefully it won't be a less second entrant again :D

13. sericali1

sericali1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not that I plan to participate, but I tend to read and vote on these and I realized there's one thing that seems not to have been considered. Since so far no one else has asked the question, I guess I will just in case it's a deal breaker...

What if the song that inspires you is an instrumental piece with no lyrics? YouTube may work for certain songs, but I know if I'm passing through YouTube, it's rarely for music or music videos given my tastes in music my age, and so forth. So what happens if your song of choice isn't accessible by the limits of the challenge as you spell it out? Is it possible to have a second post with lyrics? Do you work the lyrics into the story? If it's instrumental, what do you do for a title and for that matter lyrics or audio if your tastes fall just far enough afield of "mainstream", or "alternative" venues?

I'm fairly sure someone somewhere would frown upon you linking a tune burned from your personal CD or mp3 collection, so what then?

Otherwise it sounds like a fun little experiment...

Later!

Ali

14. Nerys Ghemor

I hate to say it, but I'd envisioned the challenge being songs with lyrics.

You'd be surprised, however, what you can find on YouTube--I've actually been able to pull up some stuff by groups like Sigur Rós and composer John Tavener, for example, that I wouldn't have expected.

For the lyrics...you can simply provide a link to a page that has the lyrics; no need to worry about posting them to the board.

If you really can't get hold of the audio...it's OK to post just the lyrics. I do understand that not all songs are on YouTube or other readily-available sources!

I hope that answers your questions?

15. Kaziarl

I have my song picked out, so hopefully I can get the writing done.

Here is the song.

16. Nerys Ghemor

Looking forward to it!! :)

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I was tempted to go for something by Britney :devil:, but in the end decided on something older...will likely wait to post the link till the story's done though.

18. Kaziarl

Good idea, cause now I'm thinking of changing mine.

Can we only use one song? Or multiple? Most of my stuff is written to several songs that are playing in the back ground while I'm working.

19. Mistral

20. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

You know, I had this idea last time: I was going to write something around Chris de Burgh's "A spaceman came travelling", but then Timmy posted his excellent story, and I lost motivation.

Funny to think if I'd written it, I could resubmit! :D