Spoilers TTN: Fallen Gods by Michael A. Martin Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jul 21, 2012.

?

Rate Fallen Gods.

1. Outstanding

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Above Average

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Average

40 vote(s)
    41.7%
  4. Below Average

26 vote(s)
    27.1%
  5. Poor

12 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

This month, a long wait comes to an end for fans of the USS Titan: Fallen Gods by two-time series author Michael A. Martin finally materializes a whopping 33 months after the last Titan-branded novel, James Swallow's Synthesis, and 20 months after the last novel to feature the Titan's crew in any significant capacity, Martin's own Typhon Pact: Seize the Fire (which currently holds the rather unglamorous distinction of last place in my ranking). In addition to the latter, Fallen Gods also looks to follow on from events depicted in the Typhon Pact novel Paths of Disharmony by Dayton Ward.

Here's what the official Simon & Schuster blurb has to say:

If the pattern holds, you can expect to find an excerpt link on their page for the book at some point during the upcoming week.

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I must admit, the only reason I'm getting this is so that if another Titan book comes along by a different author, I won't be too far behind. And for any hints towards overall narratives. I'm incredibly not excited for another Martin solo novel, I haven't liked any of the others very much. At best they've been dumb fun; at worst, just dumb.

Not to start off the thread with a downer or anything.

Bollie74 likes this.
  3. Sho

Personally, I still haven't read any of the Titan novels, but I very much like the idea of a novel series focussed on good old-fashioned exploration and alien diversity.

I mentioned over in the What are you reading? thread that I'm re-reading the early TNG novel The Peacekeepers by Gene DeWeese right now (see here and here), which is a story very much in that vein. It's a lot of fun, and while I'm admittedly talking somewhat out of my behind since I'm by no means caught up on the continuity yet, it's a kind of story I'm somewhat missing in TrekLit of late. That's not to say that I don't like stories that deal with the socio-economic and politic realities of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants (I very much do, I loved Articles of the Federation in particular and the Typhon Pact sounds fascinating), but I think a counter-weight of more exploration-focused stories is needed to maintain a healthy balance. Given that I hope Titan continues to do well in that space.

Then again, Fallen Gods ties in with the Pact too now ...

Ah well, I've already bought them all, anyway. Just need to finally get there! :)

4. Thrawn

Oh don't get me wrong, I love Titan as a concept and a series. It got off to a weird start, being a series ostensibly about exploration that nonetheless had to follow up on the end of Nemesis which stated its first mission would be to Romulus, and so the first two books are a little weak. But 3, 4, 5, and 6 (everything from Orion's Hounds to Synthesis, not to mention Destiny in the middle) were all fantastic! I just don't like Martin writing by himself very much.

Bollie74 likes this.
  5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This, to me, will be Martin's last change to prove himself. I never judge a writer on one book alone, and the only solo effort by Martin I've read was Seize The Fire. I found it utterly unreadable. Not because of plot, which was actually interesting. But the completely uninteresting writing style used by Martin. I have, however, read some of the novels that were a team effort between him and Andy Mangels. Some of those were good, others not so much.

So, I personally will have given mr. Martin enough changes to impress me. By himself, he has not done so. If Fallen Gods doesn't deliver, I doubt I'll ever read one of his novels again.

Bollie74 likes this.
  6. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was really underwhelmed by Seize The Fire, but I am willing to give Martin a chance to redeem himself with Fallen Gods. I've enjoyed the Titan series as a whole and would like for it to continue. It just may need the talents of other authors besides him. We'll see how this next installment turns out.

7. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I have to admit Titan is one of the few Trek series I'm willing to wait to read until it turns up in a library. Not BAD by any means, but... just not my thing. I did like the first couple, though.

8. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looking forward to this one, I've missed Titan& am very interested to see what becomes of their Andorian crew members. Will things evolve peacefully, or will there be an Andorian Incident? :evil:

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, if Titan doesn't end up working for you, there is the post-Destiny Voyager series, which is also focused on exploration stories.

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would recommend picking up a copy of Titan: Orion's Hounds by Christopher L. Bennett.

11. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I just ordered by kindle copy today.

12. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I LOVE Titan but Seize the Fire and the Romulan War books have killed any interest for Mr Martin's books as he is such a terrible writer. I will be skipping this one and hoping someone else picks up the Titan mantle to redeem it after the state it will be in from 2 Martin contributions.

Bollie74 likes this.
  13. Sho

Never having read one of his books, just what makes them so bad exactly?

14. Thrawn

Excessively pedantic prose; an obsession with finding explanations to continuity "problems" that no one actually had problems with; characters that all talk the same and have shallow motivations; plot holes; a tendency to overtly politicize.

15. Sho

That said, I'm wondering why we already have two votes in now. Did some of you get your hands on the book already?

If you voted accidentally, OTOH, please speak up; I'm planning to add a way to account for that to my little ranking app.

16. MatthiasRussell

I agree, especially with "excessively pedantic prose."

His novels tend to ramble on with long gaps between any action or drama which leaves me thinkning, "Okay, get on with it already!"

Then there is an overuse of alien languages that makes it difficult to understand what is being said or breaks up the scene in your head as you figure out what is being said.

17. Sho

Hm, I'm of the type who tends toward giving people the benefit of the doubt, and a lot of those criticisms seem of the type "negatively impacts flow and makes reading a bit labor-intensive, but could nonetheless be interesting". E.g. I get the alien languages complaint, but if he's doing interesting stuff with it ... sometimes rough edges can be in the pro column.

18. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

Martin just isn't a character writer, he's a plot writer. He'd be better if he did character better; it's his Achilles' Heel.

Bollie74 likes this.
  19. MatthiasRussell

Sho, I wouldn't tell you NOT to pick up this book. I agree that you shouldn't judge an author based upon one book. It took me several before I decided I've had enough and I enjoyed the stuff he coauthored with Andy Mangels even though I even found those a bit laboritous.

If you haven't read much of his stuff, keep reading and judge for yourself. There are some who really enjoy his works.

20. Sho

Don't worry, I realize that - after all, I specifically asked you guys to tell me more about why you don't like his books. Also, I didn't mean to suggest that any of you had rushed to judgement, either.

I still plan to read the Titan series and since I'm somewhat of a completionist in these things, I won't be skipping Martin's works even if I turn out not to like them either. I'm just already trying to prepare myself to find whatever saving graces I can in them ;).