Freedom Force!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by trekkiebaggio, Oct 23, 2011.

1. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't believe I'd never heard of this game before. Every review I've read pretty much said that it was 9/10, best superhero game ever made. It's cheap on Steam right now, £2.99 (so is the sequel), or you can get both games for £4.99!

I started playing it today so I'm only a few missions in, but so far it's been a lot of fun. The voice acting is great, so too is the animation and well just about everything else really. I love the references as well, I swear in Mentor's origin the sound of the weapons is the same as the photon torpedo sound effect from TOS.

I'm really surprised this game isn't more famous. Anyone else here played it? If you haven't you should get it! Can't really go wrong at that price anyway.

2. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

I remember really loving that game. (When I read your post, I ran to steam to see if it was on sale here, but no luck.) It was famous enough in it's day for the comic book companies to shut down the mod sites that offered fan made superhero skins.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, I bought it back when it was originally out. Great game. :techman: It's quite well-known in some circles but I don't think the general public is aware of it.

With all the superhero interest these days, I wonder why they don't try to make a current-gen FF game? That would be pretty sweet.

4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only played the demo for it a few years back, but it was fantastic. It's rare that you find a game that can actually make you laugh with it rather than at it.

5. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Oh yeah, I remember this game. They released a base template skin and model viewer for the game before the game came out. IIRC, there were, literally, hundreds of skins of various big name super heroes ready the day the game came out.

Because it was so friggin easy to create your own super hero skins, I had created about a half dozen of my own heroes. It was a real blast being able to play my own characters in a game!

You should do a web search for one of the power FX upgrades.....one of them adds in about a 100 new FX, including several Green Lantern ones (fist, hammer, etc), Spider-Man webs, an awesome Mjolnir effect for Thor, a Phoenix effect and so on.

I own the second game, but have not played much of it. I didn't care for the "3d comic" style art and preferred the more realistic look of the first game.

6. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I've looked around at a few things, going to try making my own at some point but I thought I'd get into the game first. But it's so good, I'm actually loving the origin stories so far as well.

I was just surprised it was so cheap really. I'm definitely going to try and get my friends into it.

7. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

This game makes me sad. I wanted so bad to play it but for whatever reason it wasn't compatible with my computer set up so I had to return it to the store. Years later I tried it again an it wasn't compatible even with my new set up but for different reasons.

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Have you tried getting it on Steam? It works on Windows 7 so I'd think it would work on damn near anything, unless your computer is just crazy old (10+ years.)

9. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

I should give it a shot. Although I'm a little hesitant to pay for it again, I've always wanted to play. And the problem never was system power, for some reason it just never wanted to work. The first time the textures were all jacked up and the forums basically said "too bad, not compatible with your video card." The second time it wouldn't work with my mouse of all things and I couldn't find a ps/2 mouse so I just gave up.

10. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At one point they were planning a third game, emulating the darker '80's early 90's comic style. I forget why it was cancelled though. It's a shame, FF was a great game and a nice tribute to the Gold and Silver ages of comics.

11. AdAstra

AdAstra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved both FF games! Ah, Alchemiss!