Farscape First time watch thread....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Distorted Humor, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IIRC, the concept of Buck Rogers was an influence on the Farscape premise. You know, a guy from our recognizable present is shot into a science fiction world.

No love for Pilot? He was the perfect straight man, damn it.

2. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Frelling yotz, how the hezmana did I forget Pilot? Pilot's frelling drad!

3. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Ah, teh nostalgia... I envy you, OP.

If only I could erase season 3 from my mind and re-watch it... Over and over again... :D

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish there was a show half as imaginative as Farscape on the air now. :( I guess Futurama is at least half of imaginative, but live action would be nice.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, that's why I don't mind aging. I figure if the memory starts to go, I'll pop in a few of my favorite Series and do a rewawtch :devil:

6. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always seen Farscape as a cross between Buck Rogers and Voyager, only with better writing.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Buck Rogers and Voyager, parts of them anyway. But, of the three, Farscape is the better show.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I like Pilot, I just don't like his voice in the miniseries and that really changes the character.

8. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

Indeed. Farscape was probably my first experience with 'postmodern' science fiction... really, it was one of the first SF series I recall that made self-reference, pop culture and genre lampshade hanging a centerpiece of the series, before EVERYONE was doing it.

Now before I get blasted, I do realize, however that Buffy the Vampire Slayer, who did much the same thing to the horror genre, came first, chronologically, but I experienced Farscape first, so that's what matters in my book.

Can you even imagine a hypothetical meeting between Chrichton and Buffy? How many seconds would it take for the situation to collapse into a pop culture meta-implosion?

9. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Giggle, 28 posts and I have yet to watch the first episode....

Well, I am off to correct that major issue! :techman:

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The fact the show explains why everyone speaks English is a winner in sci-fi land.

11. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

So much so that it beats out "Universal Translator" as the name of the storytelling convention on TVTropes

Translator Microbes

12. Distorted Humor

Watched the first episode, and really like it, it doesn't take itself TOO seriously, and already has this weird but wonderful vibe... Will review it later.

That. and Claudia Black :drool::drool::drool::drool:

13. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Of course, this creates a plot hole when you stop to think that:
    it should be impossible for Aeryn to learn English, since the translator microbes would automatically translate any English word she hears into Sebacean.

14. Kegg

Distorted Humor - Yeah, one of Farscape's strengths is it can be pretty tongue in cheek. Weird, weird and funny.

I don't think that's how translator microbes work.

When Crichton is speaking English, presumably Aeryn is hearing him speak Sebacean and Rygel is hearing him speak Hynerian.

If Crichton was speaking French, Aeryn would probably hear him speak Sebacean and Rygel would hear him speak Hynerian.

So I'm assuming that if Aeryn speaks English, someone without a translator microbe would hear English.

15. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but
    Aeryn has translater microbes. Any English she hears would be translated into Sebacean. How is she supposed to learn the language if she can't ever hear it spoken?

16. Kegg

Well, they're microbes, right? And they have to be reasonably intelligent to be doing all this translating fluently. Maybe they have the good judgement to know when to leave a foreign word a foreign word.

17. Distorted Humor

Farscape is hilarious, and that is a spoiler.

18. Distorted Humor

"Premiere" - Very good start for the series. Keeps you moving along, you meet the cast, and you have a decent plot. its odd, kinda wonky, but well made. and Crichton is the oddest hero of a SF series I have seen in a long time. Riegal is awesome puppet (you almost forget he a puppet/muppet. ) Aeryn is just plain hot. and D'Argo is a nice riff of the Space Worrior. O yea, pilot and living ship.

"I, E.T." - Better then it should be, and they do love to put Aeryn and Crichton holding on to each other whenever the ship has a issue. Now I do not like cute kid stories, but this is better then I expected. The Riegal (am I spelling his name correctly?) puppet is a well made puppet with a lot of functionality.

"Exodus from Genesis" - this was a surpisingly well written episode, and we learn a lot. Peacekeepers are very heat sensitive, and the plot was while at the same time a trope (The bug eyed aliens are actually not the bad guys) the ending made it worthwhile as I can just see the reaction at the peacekeepers when they hear that Crichton can copy himself over and over again.

"Throne for a Loss" - ok, SF has a hard time being just funny. This episode was HILARIOUS. I also liked the blue leaves in the background on planet side as a aside. I also really like it that its puppets for the most part, gives it a charm. Also, this may sound odd, but with all the leather and TV safe nudity and Aeryn beating the crap of out D'argo with him asking for it harder....That there is a kinky S&M feel at times. Or it could just be my imagination :p

Also, how did they keep Claudia Black's pupils so dilated all the time?

19. Kegg

It's Rygel.

The rest of your spelling (Aeryn, Cricthon, D'Argo) is dead on, though.

But yes, the Rygel puppet - and character - are great. It's really a top notch job from the Henson company. I'm always impressed when I rewatch the series with the sheer range of performance they get from Rygel and Pilot - one simply accepts them as characters like everyone else and leaves it at that.

Oh god no this is a clean, purehearted family friendly show... uh....

20. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Farscape: the most underrated, unfairly-treated and brilliant sci-fi series of all time.