Civilian ships in Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Urge, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Urge

Urge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Does anny humans under Federation rule have personal ships in Star-trek? Like tourists or non-starfleet adventurers that have built their own ships? And what of the other species?

There seems to be very little civilian activites in Startrek space.

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Off the top of my head I can think of the S.S. Raven – the ship of Annika Hansen's parents – and Harry Mudd's ship from Mudd's Women. The Aurora from The Way to Eden was a civilian vessel, too.

3. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kasidy Yates also owned her own ship, a cargo freighter.

4. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since Starfleet acts as the military for the Federation they don't really seem to deal with civilian ships that much. I would imagine most planets have their own police forces and small fleets that deal with civilian ships, or perhaps Starfleet has a dedicated branch that deals with civilian ships like the coast guard.

5. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

There was also the two smugglers (I guess) on the Merchantman in ST3. McCoy was also trying to charter a ship from Mr. Big Ears in that film. In TNG:Birthright, Worf apparently made his way to that planet on his own, which means he coerced a ride out of someone. Then there's Kivas Fajo, the 24th century equivalent of today's OCD toy collectors who think that everything they own will be worth millions someday.