Anger or Sadness

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain McBain, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

What do you believe to be the best performance from a Star Trek actor portraying sadness, and what portrayal of anger do you think to be the best or most believable?

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Picard in Sarek.

3. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shatner in The Naked Time.

4. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

I'd have to say Rene Auberjonois should win awards for acting through all that Odo makeup.

"The Alternate" The way he's acting just before he starts changing and mutating before Doctor Mora's eyes. It's all in his voice when he yells "NO!" and slaps his hands down on the panel.

"Crossfire" Dude, Odo tears up his quarters when he finds out Kira is seeing Shakaar. I think that was one of his biggest ever RAEG fits that weren't influenced by outside sources. (ie in The Alternate he'd been affected by something gaseous on a planet.)

"The Begotten" EVERYTHING in this episode is beautiful.

"Heart of Stone" Did you see how he almost goes into the fetal position at one point because he's cracking inside at the thought of Kira dying? (That female Founder is a giant bitch for what she did!)

5. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Avery Brooks has done some great work. I am talking about "The Emissary," "The Visitor," and "Far Beyond the Stars."

6. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Picard in Generations...(I don't care what anyone thinks)...and yes he was amazing in "Sarek."

7. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I liked in Generations when he ordered Riker to contact Starfleet and Riker started to back talk him and he was like "Just do it!"

It was obvious Picard had something else that was disturbing him and Riker just didn't seem to get it. So, I thought it was great that Picard snapped at him for questioning his orders in front of the entire bridge crew, even if the orders were a bit strange.

8. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Moments of sadness:

I think McCoy in the scene with his father on TFF was very moving.

I also thought Kirk's scene after the death of his son was moving.

Kira had some incredibly emotional scenes throughout DS9.

And "The Visitor" definitely made me tear up.

Moments of anger:

It was always great to see Worf get angry both in TNG and DS9, because the audience was usually cheering him on!

Loved Kirk's anger at Khaaaan!

Also loved Picard's anger in First Contact.

Uncomfortable moments:

It was uncomfortable watching O'Brien's anger issues after his experience in the episode "Hard Time," especially when he was around his family.

The whole scene with Spock and Valeris and the forced mind meld that followed was uncomfortable to watch.

9. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, but I loved the bit just before that when Spock slapped the phaser out of Valeris' hand in Sickbay - totally unexpected and shocking! The look on Spock's face perfectly conveyed controlled rage.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

For me, it was Brooks in DS9's "Emissary." That sequence aboard the doomed Saratoga when the Bolian security chief pulled Sisko away from his dead wife and his cry of anguish was something I'll never forget.

Later on, when Sisko finally met Picard, I genuinely thought Sisko was going to strangle him. That look of barely contained anger in Sisko's demeanor and voice, yeah, that was another good moment for Brooks, IMO.

11. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was expecting Picard to say, "I'm sorry," or something to that extent. I'm glad they just left it alone. That scene was great both for Sisko and Picard.

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think Avery Brooks is best when he gets to act amused, or angrily amused.

13. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

He scared me in Facets...I mean DAMN!

14. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Sadness: I will also go with Picard in Generations. I know everybody likes the scene in "Sarek" but that one seemed like theatre while the scene in Generations seemed a bit more natural.

Rage: I loved the moment in DS9, think it is the two parter with "Favor the Bold" where Odo is trying to apologize to Kira about being wrapped up with the female changeling. When she says to him "we are way past sorry," that was a great scene.

15. Devo

Devo Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

England, Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
    My 5 Favourite RAGE Moments (in no specific order)
    1. Worf going ballistic in Vic's in DS9's "Image In The Sand"
    2. Picard's defiance in First Contact.
    3. Odo destroying his quarters in "Crossfire"
    4. Data throttling a Borg in "Descent"
    5. Gul Dukat's EPIC 'I hate Bajorans' monologue in "Waltz"

My 5 Favourite Sad Moments (in no specific order)
    1. Picard in "Sarek"
    2. Picard in Generations
    3. Picard breaking down in front of his brother in "Family"
    4. Jadzia's death scene in "Tears Of The Prophets"
    5. The death of The Doctor's holographic daughter in "Real Life"

Some honourable mentions: Garak upsetting Ezri in "Afterimage", and most of "The Visitor".

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Sisko's meltdown as Benny Russell.

17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I know some fans have issues with that scene, often accusing Brooks of over-acting it, but I do think it was the character undergoing a meltdown as you said.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I've witnessed nervous breakdowns TWICE. So I know that there is no such thing as overacting a meltdown. Probably helps in appreciating Brooks' performance.

19. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everything mentioned already has been brilliant.

I also get shivers with Patrick Stewart's performance in Chain of Command. Very stirring.

An early episode of the saga that comes to mind is The Naked Time. Notably Spock's breakdown scene. And I think someone already mentioned Kirk in that same episode.

20. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral