Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

There were seven countries which screened all three.

You can rule out Australia and New Zealand (and Hong Kong and Singapore for Enemy and Web) from that list, due to most records indicating their copies were either destroyed or cycled on, and they were ultimately found in Nigeria.

That leaves Zambia and Gibraltar.

2. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But not all three at roughly the same time, and the cycle/return/etc records got in the way, particularly once you added in the claim that Polo was a stored field (so post 66 sale) copy.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh how I wish these rumors are true . . . but I can't help but think they aren't. Right now it's starting to sound like rationalizations for how these episodes have been "found" but not yet released.

Mr Awe

4. Candlelight

Whose saying the "returned" version is stored field? I would expect any find to be Suppressed if anything, considering it's likely only two copies of Marco were made Stored (for Thailand and Mauritius-Sierra Leone-Ethiopia).

5. diankra

That it was a stored field copy was part of the rumour, at least in some versions, and hence part of the reason for doubting the Marco-Enemy-Web combination, which is the point Sindatur raised in the first place.

6. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

A long-standing but rarely mentioned (possibly because it sounds so barmy) part of the omnirumor is that Philip Morris found some kind of TIE archive that included copies of stories never sold, or never recorded as sold, to Africa. Alternately-- of course there's an alternate explanation; it's the omnirumor-- people have claimed Morris was recently in Singapore, which is the most likely place for a complete set of Power to turn up. I still don't buy either claim, as to me both smack of attempts to fit pre-existing, came-to-nothing rumors about Power into Morris's work. But (standard disclaimer follows) you never know.

7. diankra

Certainly, DWM confirmed that Morris chasing audition prints sent to countries that didn't buy i the end, so to that degree all bets are off. Anything could be anywhere...

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Ah, here we go, again. What round are we on now? I've lost track.

9. Brendan Moody

It's all been one endless round. The omnirumor doesn't sleep. It doesn't even nap.

10. diankra

Slightly off-topic, but it's reported today that an audio copy of one of Sean Connery's first (possibly the first) screen roles has turned up: an ITV production of Requiem for a Heavyweight.
    Vague Who connection is that it had been made and kept by the director, Alvin Rakoff, who was married to Jacqueline Hill, aka Barbara. I suppose that it's possible he also has audio recordings of his wife's TV roles: obviously all her transmitted Doctor Who work survives on audio, but her fans might be pleased if her other roles survive in some form.

11. Brendan Moody

The recording in question is one of her TV roles, actually; she plays Grace Carney, the only meaningful female character in the production.

12. diankra

Ah! Not surprised, but hadn't looked up the cast, and she wasn't on the clip PM ran on their onterview with Rakoff...

13. Brendan Moody

Yeah, the coverage is so Connery-focused they're making more of her recommending him for his role than of her actually being in it. (As was Michael Caine, trivia fans.) Anyway, it's a great find, and not just because some of its stars became famous for other things. The US version of "Requiem for a Heavyweight" is a real milestone of early American television; I'm sure historians will love what even an audio recording can tell them about the British take on Rod Serling's famous script.

14. diankra

Doubt there were many major changes, doesn't seem that it was reversioned to set it in England. So it'll be comparing the actors really...

15. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apparently there are no longer any plans for a DVD release of The Underwater Menace. Details.

I'm posting in this thread since we were only discussing this back on page 95.

17. Candlelight

Interesting. I guess all those partial serials they expected to be released won't happen now either.

18. Brendan Moody

The actors, yes, and what their performances reveal about the production's interpretation of the script. Though there were also a couple original scenes, written by Rakoff with Serling's approval to cover costume changes that were done during ad breaks in the American version.
    Which ones were those? As far as I know, The Underwater Menace was the only remaining incomplete serial expected to get a standalone DVD release. Some fans were also hoping for The Crusade, but that was never even quasi-announced as TUM was.

19. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

I guess a few people were hoping that if they proved popular enough the BBC might think about stepping up for those serials with a few more missing. That they won't even finish those with only 2 obviously kills most people's hopes.

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, this could mean that the partially Animated DVDs haven't sold enough to enable them to invest in any more.

Or, if you tie it into The OmniRumor, there's just so much work to be done on the truckloads of recovered Film Canisters, there's no time/resources available to do any more animation. Or maybe there's still hope the other two episodes are in that humongous pile.