"If it appeared on screen, it's canon." THIS is canon?!?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Fuzzy Modem, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Fuzzy Modem

Fuzzy Modem Commander Red Shirt

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIfNv9qLvy4&list=PLqu8N9YhbFvncycQqhsvT0WMPTteVyXnd[/yt]
    ^It appeared on TV :p

2. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Is there supposed to be a picture here? If so, I can't see it.

3. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

4. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

OK, I watched it. Scotty appeared to be in Enterprise D's engineering section, for some reason.

I'd say that this isn't canon, despite being "on screen", since it is a commercial and not from a series episode or movie.

5. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek VI also used the same Engineering set. Both that and V, the transporter room with a little redressing. A partitioned off area window between the operator and the pad. Things like that. Engineering as it looked in TNG mostly though. They avoided showing that area with the table-top console, Geordi held briefings around.

That British ad must've cost a bit, even back in 1989/90. Energy companies are probably the only business that would've been able to afford it!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved this commercial as a kid. Modern ones just don't have these levels of awesome.
    They should have given Scotty a cool control desk like this when they reused the TNG engine room in STVI.

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Lol, I'd never seen that commercial before. Hilarious!

And yeah, it's totally canon ;)

8. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, Shatner had boobs. It's canon.

9. PicardSpeedo

PicardSpeedo Commander Red Shirt

'A Night in Sickbay' and 'Threshold' also appeared on screen, as did all of Star Trek: Nemesis, and we're forced to accept them as canon. Sucks, but that's the way it works.

10. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

What bothers me the most is having obvious errors appear on film, becoming canon (ST5 showing far too many decks in the turbolift escape scene is the worst)

11. F. King Daniel

Take a look at the 3 videos linked in my sig. Incorrect deck numbering is the least of Trek's worries (for me it's Voyager's warp 9.975 being a LOT slower than the old Enterprise's warp 8.4)

Those in charge of Trek treat it as broad strokes, not with any one part as absolute fact. It's not the details, but the jist that matters.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Canon is just the individual installments. While STV is canon, the deck count doesn't have to be. Especially if a later or previous installment says otherwise.

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think more than anything, canon serves to prevent things produced off-screen (like books, comics, reference manuals, etc.) from trumping things produced onscreen. While many of these "expanded universe" works can be fun, they really shouldn't be considered more valid than the actual movies and TV shows they're based on.

14. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

15. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Unless the Enterprise-A had, indeed, been put together by monkeys (as Scotty suspected) that scene can't possibly be canon for multiple known reasons

• The numbering of the decks always starts at the top (Bridge) and then continues down, not the other way around
    • The Enterprise-A doesn't have that many decks
    • There are no (turbo lift) cars in that shaft, although we see both ends of the shaft
    Obviously a set built for a never shot scene within the Earth Spacedock space station. ;)

Bob

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the turbolift shaft might have been out of commission in TFF, and even if it was in use it doesn't mean there would always be a car in the shaft.

17. BobtheGunslinge

BobtheGunslinge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought STV was just a dream? I mean, Kirk goes to sleep in Yosemite, Sybok happens, Kirk is now awake, in Yosemite. All a bad dream.

It's the McCoy family beans recipe that did it.

18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the explanation, but I must say Dorothy Gale has much better dreams. :p

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The general rule of thumb is that if it's live action, was produced at Desilu or Paramount (and now CBS and Bad Robot), than it's canon.

TV ads are not "canon", nor were the scenes filmed on the actual sets for the "Klingon Video Game", nor the "Starfleet Academy" and "Klingon Academy" computer games, nor the footage created for the two rides at the "Star Trek Experience", nor Worf's appearance on "Webster", Spock's appearance on "The Carol Burnett Show", nor J. Frakes' appearance as Riker on "Sybill".

20. F. King Daniel

STV is a dream, all of ENT is Riker playing on the holodeck between scenes of TNG episodes, all of VOY is Barclay playing on the Project Pathfinder holodeck, everything post-GENS is Picard's Nexus fantasy and every scene of every episode is set in a different "Parallels" reality anyhow.