Saints Row 3 (PS 3) question

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone play this game? I just bought it because the back of the box made it look cool. But the first thing I do (robbing a bank) and all the characters look like bobble-heads. Is this how they look throughout?

2. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Those are mascot costumes used to disguise the protagonist and his crew...

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Oh ok, thank you!!

4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did you skip the opening cutscene or something? Because it shows them putting on the costumes.

Saint's Row 3 is a crazy, stupid comedy that's not intended to be taken seriously, and if you engage with it on that level it is a lot of fun.

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

yes, that's what happened. Buy the time my system took a good twenty minutes to update the software, I just wanted to play!!

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, fun game. Got it for free through PS+. It's what I've been playing on the PS3 lately.

7. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you end up liking SR3 and want to continue on with the series, it might be a good idea to play the first two games before moving on to SR4, as there's a lot of references to the earlier games scattered throughout SR4. I've never been able to play SR1 since it was never released on PC, but I had a blast with SR2. While the engine's not as purty as SR3/4's (and it's supposedly one of the worst PC ports ever,) there's WAY more depth, detail, story and gameplay in it. SR3 feels really shallow by comparison. Definitely worth checking out.

8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Thanks!! I may do that. It was a blind buy so yeah any feedback like that is appreciated

9. Rincewiend

Check out some rviews/let's play's on youtube...

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The original Saints Row was basically a GTA knockoff, albeit with much witty banter, and it didn't have any customisability. SR2 took that and turned it into a hilarious total pisstake that was nonstop madcap fun, and introduces the customisable boss character.

So I'd advise starting with SR2, really.

11. Rincewiend

Also, SR1 was not released on PS3, was a Xbox exclusive title...

12. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SR1 was plenty customisable, arguably even moreso than SR3. You could only play as a male character, you couldn't choose a voice (as the character had no voice), and you couldn't customise your gang (as the protagonist wasn't the leader of the Saints yet), but your appearance, clothing, vehicles, and other things were customisable.

I would also disagree that SR1 was wittier than the GTA games, I thought the attempts at humour in SR1 were really poor. Half the time in that game I struggled to tell if it was trying to be serious or humorous because it was so awkwardly written. The radio advertisements were the worst, they came across as really forced. SR2 was when they finally nailed what the games were about, and the huge improvement in humour over the first game was a big part of that.