Rotten Tomatoes suspends Comments after Dark Knight profanity, threats

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ian Keldon, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Rotten Tomatoes suspends Comments after Dark Knight profanity, thr

LOL, apparently, none of them have ever been to the IMDb message boards.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would say something cliched like "Relax, it's just a movie" but what's the point. Heaven forbid this movie is not "perfect". I hope it's a good one and I plan to see it Saturday Morning, but to make threats towards people who's job it is to review films is pathetic.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Rabid Nolan-ites have been popping up hard core the last year. This caldera erupting of an event is not surprising.
    Trekkies, Twi-hards and more are now way down the list of the fanatical.

5. tomalak301

Until later this year when the final Twilight comes out and next when when we finally have the Trek film with no name. ;)

6. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

You know, I really wish I could say I'm surprised that something like this could happen, especially considering that the vast majority of reviews on RT for this movie are positive...

Unfortunately, I'm not.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It's amazing that these people disagree with a review of a film they haven't seen. It is possible that the ones who gave it a more negative review are correct.

But whatever the quality of the film, personal insults etc.. are wrong. Say you disagree with the review or think the review is wrong but leave it at that. Attack the review (once you've seen the film and can make an inofrmed review)not the reviewer. Of course we all have different tastes in movies.

8. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lately I've been wishing that sites like rottentomatoes didn't even exist. They take away from people using their own brains and making up their own minds, which I don't think is healthy. They also take away some of the magic from moviegoing. You see an RT score - even a high one - and you can't help but think that the movie is somehow flawed before you even see it. If the Godfather was released today, the masses of critics would probably be nitpicking it, and you'd be thinking of those nitpicks instead of just appreciating it for the classic it has since become.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never been an RT fan or any other site that "tells" people how to frame an expectation. You should be able to do that yourself based on information provided via articles, previews etc.

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh, not much different than coming here and reading/posting. in the last year and a half to 2 years, I've read of posts that said "I enjoyed x when I watched it, it wasn't until I read posts here that I discovered I was supposed to hate it"

If not for sites like Rotten Tomatoes, you'd get what, one review in your local paper? I'd say, if you're the type of person who is going to make up their minds wether to see a movie or not, you'd want to see multiple reviews, rather than a single review.

Me, if a movie looks interesting to me, I'm going to watch it, wether it's panned mercilessly or not.

Though, I almost never go to the movies, since 2001, I think I've been to the Harry Potter movies, Dawn of the Dead, Stepford Wives and ST09. Generally, I would much rather wait until it comes out on disk and rent it off Comcast On Demand for $4.99, and I can burn myself a DVD-R of it, if I deem it worth keeping. Although Special Features sound attractive when I look at a DVD at the Store, I rarely watch much of them, so, why spend $20 watching it at the Theater, and another $20 buying the DVD, when I can watch it in the comfort of my own home, with the refrigerator and snack cabinet available and can burn a DVD of it for $4.99 rental fee plus less than 50 cents for the blank disk.

As to the people making threats against the reviewers, <SIGH> idiots who have no concept of priorities

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Batman fans are a superstitious cowardly lot...

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just sounds like an average day on the internets.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

For me it's not about forming an opinion or expectation beforehand; I just love movies and love reading different critics' opinions and analysis of them.

Of course it doesn't hurt that I generally tend to agree with the general consensus on RT. Most critics have little patience for anything too mindless, overblown, and predictable, and I'm the same way.

If other people find that their opinions don't match up, then simply don't use it.

14. Rulius

Rulius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've never paid attention to movie reviews; I go and see for myself.

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I don't mind movie reviews. Especially if I'm on the fence. Sometimes they save me 10 bucks.

However, rarely, if I really want to see a movie, will a review stop me. They are just a tool.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Too bad many of these movie reviews that trashed Batman were generic and utterly cookie cutter copypastas of each other. Guess some people were butthurt when called on their laziness.

17. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i once did a review of the dark knight that wasn't particularly positive. i didnt think it was awful by any means, but man i got a fuckton of abuse for not following the 'its amazing' crowd. hence i havent been near a reviewy site in ages.

18. tomalak301

While I still don't like what the commentors did, one thing I haven't liked about movie (or any type of media) criticism is how the reviewer can be very much full of themselves and try to push specific agendas. I don't know if anyone listens to a podcast called Filmspotting but that might be a clear example of what I'm talking about. They review a movie, and it's almost like they take all the enjoyment out of the movie with the smallest of nitpicks or criticisms. I remember when reviewing was a lot simpler (And maybe I feel that way because I was young and didn't know better) but now I wish reviewers to take a step back and not overanalyze every little detail. It's one thing to review a movie, but when you have to push an agenda and take all the fun out of it, I'm not sure if that's a good way to go about doing your job.

19. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

^I know the feeling Tomalak. One of the worst offenders in my memory came from a book of press clippings about Star Trek that I used to own. It had a section for movie reviews for the films.

One reviewer had trashed every film in the series. She began what was her latest review by basically saying "I hate everything Star Trek. It's stupid/badly written/cliche/etc...Now that I've told you that, here's my review of the new Star Trek movie..."

Unsurprisingly, she hated the film.

20. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Somebody is going to put a hit out on Harry Knowles. Yikes! I guess Warner Brothers didn't pay him enough for a positive review. :lol: If he honestly didn't like it though, that's cool. You've got to be a brave motherfucker to say you don't like one of THE sacred cows of 2012. :lol: