Torias Dax in the new Star Trek movies?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by JirinPanthosa, Dec 8, 2012.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Why not? He should be alive about now.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This would make me happy.

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are probably less than 1,000 people who know who Torias Dax is.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

This would be an unnecessary connection to the Prime universe.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seriously. I don't know, and I don't care.

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

By that thinking, Commodore Mendez, Kevin Riley, and Galactic High Commissioner Ferris should all be in the film.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What about the Dax that had "relations" with McCoy? :lol:

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's a whole new timeline, so we can't assume anything.

For all we know, Dax was on Vulcan when it blew up . . . .

9. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

No matter which universe you're talking about, Kirk's time is a bit too early for Torias who was around in the first half of the 24th century. While the Dax symbiot was around at this time, Torias wasn't even born yet. Dax was joined to Emony during the Kirk years and after that lived an entire natural lifetime with Audred (who died of old age) before being joined with Torias

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anything after 2233 is a toss-up. So Torias may never even exist in the Abrams timeline. The host might not even be born, let alone ever be joined with Dax.

11. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    I'd love to see little references to the modern Trek series' post TOS. The new films should have them. They're little valentine cards to the old fans for being around so long. But they're only going to ever be throwaway references and one-liners, because it would be too distracting otherwise.

The plot of the '09 film was already absurdly complex--could you imagine if it was even moreso, filled with random little characters that only old-school fans could identify? Even if it would make me happy that they include characters from all the modern series' that I grew up with, I know they wouldn't, and I'm almost entirely sure they could easily damage a film by haphazardly doing it if they tried.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The last film had loads of references to other Treks - Uhura ordered a "Cardassian Sunrise" at the bar, Admiral Archer exiled Scotty to Delta Vega for killing his beloved beagle and Spock Prime of course continued on from what Next Gen's "Unification" established, that he had left Starfleet and was on Romulus. There are probably loads more.

I'm not so sure Into Darkness will have as many, though. It's seemily darker tone wouldn't fit cute shout-outs as well.

13. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Mmm, obscure reference is obscure.

14. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Archer is at least as obscure of a character as Dax, and they name dropped him. Possible, I guess.

If they name drop a TNG era character, it's more likely to be in connection to Picard, Data, or Worf, since those are the more well known characters of that generation.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I mean, if there's a reason for a random throwaway crewmember to actually be given a name, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have it be a reference to somebody we already know. There's as much of a reason to do it as there is not to.

16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think 1000 is an exaggeration. Even towards the end DS9 still had 3 or 4 million viewers a week, and at the beginning it had near-TNG ratings. Most Trek fans are aware that DS9 had a character named Dax who had previous hosts, one of which was alive in Kirk's time.

Heck, if it was a female host at the time, wonderful, they can have a romantic encounter at a bar.

17. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

The more they pack the movie with obscure references, the more viable the franchise! :bolian:

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is theoretically possible that a Dax host could appear in the film. It doesn't have to be Torias, of course. The branching-off of the alternate timeline makes all bets off. Torias, the host, may never be born. (I'm guessing he was fairly young when joined, so he has probably not been born as of 2233) Dax may exist within someone who is entirely new. Dax may even be dead.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't there a Dax on the Enterprise STVI, which caused lots of fan speculation as to whether they were a former DS9 Dax host or not?

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^There was indeed, but they looked absolutely nothing like any Trill we've met before. Couldn't even wear gravity boots!