MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I was 13 months old so I don't remember. :lol:

Still this will be their first lost in a WS game in 25+ years. One play every game you can feel the change. Last night it was the pop-up, tonight it was whatever the fuck that mess of the seventh became.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Cards were behind when Wacha was removed from the game, so why does he still get credit for the win? :confused:

3. bigdaddy

The Sox pitcher got the lose because it was his fault the players were on base, even though the new pitcher was the reason the Sox lost.

So Cards pitcher get the win.

You can't have two pitchers in one game be called "loser".

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Well, obviously *a* Cardinals pitcher would get the win, since the Cardinals did in fact win. ;)

I just don't understand why it was Wacha who got it. I always thought that for a pitcher to get credited for a win, their team had to be AHEAD when they are removed from a game. Is it different in the playoffs?

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't watch the game, but looking at the box score looks like they pulled Wacha after six. They got the lead in the top of the 7th, so he was still the pitcher of record before another Card pitcher came in. Not fair for Martinez to get the win automatically when he hadn't even thrown a pitch at that point.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, because baseball rules about wins/losses are stupid. That's why there's a push to care less about those in favor of more advanced metrics.

A reliever can get a win with a single pitch, while the starter goes 8 innings for a no decision. Or like tonight, pitcher can leave with the lead and get the loss.

7. R. Star

Well if a starter leaves with runners on base, they are charged to his record. So when they score, despite the fact the reliever gave up that one hit that drove them in, they're charged to the starter and will effect his record accordingly.

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Know how it works, it's just dumb :) Which is why W/L record really isn't much of a useful metric, despite people getting excited about 20 wins or a .500 record or whatever.

Lackey had a mediocre W/L this year, but was near the tops in his actual stats; he pitched pretty well. If you don't get your teams to score runs, you end up with a bad Loss record even with a good ERA, WHIP, etc. You can go 12 innings of shutout ball, leave with a guy on first, and end up taking the loss. On the other hand, a reliever can come into a game where his team is behind, give up MORE runs, and get a win when the offense scores a bunch the next inning. Kinda dumb.

Martinez deserved the win last night (or Salty/breslow, depending on how you want to look at it ;) ) Wacha left while behind, and went from being on the hook when he left to getting the W. Don't really care about the stat part at the moment, more the narrative they now tell, where he's the hero that went out and got the win. His team was losing when he stopped pitching...

9. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Yeah, pitcher win / loss records are an inherently meaningless statistic and should get nuked from the game.

10. R. Star

Nolan Ryan's 87 season sums that up. 8-16, 2.76 ERA, 270 K both which led the league.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Matt Williams to be the new Nationals manager. Linky

12. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Well that is certainly interesting. No managerial experience but has been around the game as a base coach.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

I'd heard his name put forth for awhile now. I think he'd be a great manager.

(I'd also heard Cal Ripken's name mentioned but I think Williams would be better.)

14. bigdaddy

Cards will win in 5-6 games. They have the momentum and finally playing well.

15. comsol

comsol That Guy Premium Member

Man, weird way to win Game 3. I don't think I've ever seen a game end like that.

16. drychlick

drychlick Captain Captain

:confused:yep that was weird

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only in the World Series do you get weirdness like that. It looked like the right call too.

18. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I caught it on the radio, will need to see the highlights in the morning.

One of the more memorable games in recent WS history.

19. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

As much as the situation is unfortunate for the Red Sox, the call was correct.

20. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Going to need a look in the offseason. Correct interpretation of the rule, but it's very vague. Problem is, what was Middle rooms supposed to do? Had to dive, then started to get up. Craig tripped before he got to him, then again over him. He started to get up (when his legs came up, watch his ass too, he's trying to get up) then stays down to try and stay out of the way. Literally nothing he could do at any point there. He was also way inside the lines, runner should have to be near the line. If he runs towards the mound first, whose fault is that, and how can you avoid it?

Right application of a crap rule. Anti-Tuck Rule, I suppose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.