The 50th special will be feature length...

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Starkers, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

...Although Moffat's being vague about what this constitutes so I envisage a host of "Moffat lies!" and "It'll be 65 minutes long" comments.

He does say "well over an hour" which could mean anything I guess. I suspect it'll run to around 75, which seems perfectly fine to me for two (three?) doctors given five Doctors only got 90 :)

Link

A few tidbits about the regeneration as well.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I don't think that this news will come as a suprise.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I like Moffat in general, but I'm guessing the "a good bit longer than 60 minutes" only means that he's heard the complaints, and not much to do about the actual running length. I don't think he even gets to decide that.

Mr Awe

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

You don't think he gets to decide the running length? Or at the very least have some say in it?

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think he does have to get BBC approval on the run time, but that's usually just a formality and they'd likely agree on whatever he asked for.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless there is more filming for the anniversary special in September (which would be a continuity nightmare in getting Matt Smith's hair to match), the filming block wasn't long enough for the special to be much longer than 70 minutes.

7. Mr Awe

On the one hand, I'm sure he gets some input, but on the other hand there's the practical limitations that are imposed.

What will fit in the schedule? And, how much time and resources did the BBC give him to produce the episode?

Those factors all limit the potential length. And, I'm sure the 3D nature of the production imposes more limitations on whatever resources they did get.

Just saying he can't pick a length willy nilly. I don't think it'll be too far off from the original 60 minutes. Maybe 70.

Mr Awe

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'm curious, what did Moffat actually say? The quote in the other thread says "Well over 60 minutes", yet in this thread it's been stated that the quote is "A bit over 60 minutes".

"Well over", IMHO, would mean it's gotta be at least close to 90 minutes, whereas "a bit over" would mean anything up to 75 minutes, I imagine.

9. Allyn Gibson

In the Entertainment Weekly original, the quote is this:

SFX was just cribbing from EW.

To me, "feature length" means 90+ minutes. But unless the filming block was a few weeks longer than we were told, I don't see how that's possible.

10. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hope BBC America shows the whole thing without editing stuff out for time.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, feature length is typically 90+ minutes these days, but, there are quite a few movies under 90 minutes. "well over" an hour, though, has got to be at least nearing 90 minutes. 75 minutes or less shouldn't be referred as Well over an hour

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

So, 61 minutes, including a Xmas trailer, then?

13. Mr Awe

I really think the "well over an hour" comment was just to stop people from complaining about the run time. He even admits that he doesn't know what it will be.

Mr Awe

14. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

What intrigued me is the bit from Moffat about how they had to own up to everything filmed outside (Zygons, John Hurt, etc) but could keep the studio filming secret. Maybe while Matt Smith was doing the location work the old Doctors were sneaked into Cardiff? (I know, wistful dreaming...)

15. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

If it's having a limited world wide cinema release as planned then it actually needs to be feature length... I'm guessing around 1:30.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Not really, plenty of sub 90 minute films still get released at the cinema.

17. Allyn Gibson

Do we know that it's having a worldwide cinema release, though? I wouldn't be surprised if the cinema release were a UK-only thing.

18. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

A movie release would need to introduce The Doctor to potentially new audience. I doubt the 50th would make a good movie, it would be too steeped in DW lore and history for your typical movie audience.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No one's saying it would be a movie, just that it would get a theatrical screening. Probably just something like a one night deal, like those TNG episodes that get theatrical screenings to tie in with the release of a new season on Blu-ray.

20. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd like it to be about as long as a film, a little shorter perhaps though.

Series 7 tried to cramp too much in for time, I don't want the 50th rushed.