DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find it interesting that Chris Burnham made a guest writing "interlude" issue for Batman Incorporated which I haven't read yet. I guess we know why it got an extended issue. I don't know that this was necessary. I am looking to seeing the Batman of Japan again.

Also Pete Woods will be departing DC at the conclusion of his Vibe work...on his own terms.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05...s-nothing-to-do-with-dc-comics-who-are-great/

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  2. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Poor John Ostrander didn't even get his proper credit on the cover. :(

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Does it feel to anyone else like John and Fatality becoming a couple is purely because of that age old "two black characters of the opposite sex must be a couple" thing? It just kinda feels like Black Panther and Storm all over again.

4. Admiral_Young

I actually liked the T'Challa and Ororo pairing. Marvel just never really did anything with it.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was 4 years old and watching a brand new episode of The Facts of Life where Tuti's sister was dating a white guy and Tuti was angry because... Well, she didn't know why she was angry, but she knew right from wrong and that this was wrong.

22 minutes later, everyone accepted everyone else and they hugged it out.

RACISM DEFEATED!

John Stewart destroyed Fatality's homeworld in Cosmic Odyssey.

I don't care how sincere their love affair seems...

ITS A TRAP!!!!!!

6. OdoWanKenobi

It never really gelled with me. Even the writers admitted it was only done because they were the two most prominent black characters at Marvel.

It is nice to see John move past his guilt for Katma and Xanshi. Though, when you think about it, is Fatality's love for John real? She's been brainwashed into it by the Star Sapphire, after all.

On the subject of John, I have to make one minor quibble in regards to Green Lantern #20. In the epilogue, John is called Guy's greatest friend. That's just not true. Guy and Kyle are the ones with the bromance, not Guy and John.

7. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did as well. And as for John Stewart and Fatality I like that pairing too. What's so odd about two black people liking or falling in love with each other or Heaven's forbid have sex? I never see these kinds of (racially implied) questions posed about any white characters.

Some might rush to say well so and so white characters have a history or whatever, and to that I would say John and Fatality have history. And I think the pairing isn't out of the realm of literary possibilities: two enemies falling for each other isn't something that is all that new.

With the John/Fatality scene in GLC #20, it signaled to me that Stewart was finally going to get more attention and character development from the new writing staff.

8. Guy Gardener

They have massive bar tabs at Warriors, so Guy has to be nice to him.

Guy's best friend is Killowog.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  9. Admiral_Young

Who doesn't have massive bar tabs at Warriors? ;)

10. OdoWanKenobi

Salaak?

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I didn't even know Fatality was black.

12. Guy Gardener

Well his last wife was plum.

"Alien" is more important than "black alien" surely?

John is done with Earth Women it would seem.

13. Admiral_Young

Justice League #20 was interesting. J'onn shows up to help deal with Despero, and Batman reveals the rest of his "contingency boxes" for the League, and reveals that Diana's is empty, he also gives Clark a box for his own, and tells him that if he was truly his friend he would use it against him. Clark also looked at the box. I wonder what he saw that could stop Batman...other than his own sheer strength of course? The art was great as well. The seeds continue to be sown for Trinity War, which has the potential to be extremely interesting indeed. Oh and I'm really liking the new Atom.

14. Guy Gardener

So, is this Wonder Woman less honourable than the "modern" (I don't think the modern age is called the modern age any more, as if no one learnt nothing from Y2K!) that she wont have a heart attack trying to endlessly fight an undefeatable posthypnotic suggestion? Or how about the super ancient days when Diana would lose all her powers if her bracelets were bound... Or how about the Amazons would turn to dust is a man took one step on Paradise island? Does she still get her strength from her girdle? Is there a way to turn her back into clay? How about an all out blanket assault on Greek Religion to undercut the root of her (literally) God given powers?

Bury a nuke under Paradise Island.

Bruce has the resources.

Does Diana have the resolve to let her family melt into goo?

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't Batman's weakness be his identity being revealed to the world?

16. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It's Batgod, we are left to wonder. However, in comic book reality any super schmuck could paste him in less than a second. Let the Watchmen Angst be dead and buried one day.

17. Guy Gardener

If Batman didn't have to waste all that time pretending that Bruce Wayne is an asshat... Hell, if Batman didn't have to spend all that time pretending that he was Bruce Wayne period, crime would have it's ass handed to him and supervillianry would wake up with all their bunnies boiling.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

But wouldn't the government freeze all his assets when everybody in the world tried to sue him?

19. Guy Gardener

Batman is not going to hide from all the lawyers in Stately Wayne Manor.

He'll be a ghost.

Meanwhile, what they think he has in the bank is the tip of the iceberg.

Jeph Loeb wrote a comic where some hood is going apeshit that Batman is burning 10 million in cash to make some point about something... Meanwhile, the Punisher, every drug deal he's ever busted up, he's kept the cash and bought bullets and bazooka's with the proceeds.

(Is it me, or could the IRS spitroast Bruce Wayne?)

Maybe Batman doesn't "keep" all the money, but he would certainly redirect any loose funds out of the world of crime and into nice places, or he'd just bury it for later... Actually if Batman holed up in the Justice League Satellite, 23 thousand miles above sea level, would the rest of the Justice league put up with him proving that he is literally above the law?

Surely space is the equivalent of international water beyond anyone's extradition laws?

Also.

Batman doesn't need money to fight crime.

He's a ninja.

He can take down a well armed army with a rolled up piece of newspaper.

20. OdoWanKenobi

Well, I now want a Batman of Japan and Canary ongoing. That was a blast. :lol: