DOLLHOUSE: ep2x5-Public Eye & ep2x6-The Left Hand Review-Grade-SPOILER

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Dec 5, 2009.

?

How was the two parter Public Eye & The Left Hand

Poll closed Mar 15, 2010.
  1. EXCELLENT

24 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. ABOVE AVERAGE

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. AVERAGE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. BELOW AVERAGE

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. POOR

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

After taking November off Dollhouse returns to Friday nights with dual episodes airing back-to-back. This will burn off the original 13 episode order from FOX and will end the series. Only a gross bump in ratings could cause a reversal on the cancellation.

DOLLHOUSE "The Public Eye; The Left Hand" Season 2 Episode 5 which airs on FOX Friday December 4 9/8c

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lots of pics I know. Trying to entice those on the fence to return and encourage the loyal to ride this last batch out even though its fate seems sealed. Who knows, maybe a reprieve could happen.
    Its holiday party season so if your headed out set those TIVO/DVR's. Now lets hope this show heads out in the manner it seems headed, on top of its game creatively!!

2. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: DOLLHOUSE: ep2x5-Public Eye & ep2x6-The Left Hand Review-Grade-SPO

This one is pretty tedious. Seems a little disjointed and the technology is just...unbelievable and absurd. Time for this show to end, absolutely. It might have been better if they didn't have to rush the end of the show, but I haven't enjoyed this ep.

3. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One word: WOW.

An awesome round of episodes, which I think was better together than apart.

Summer Glau's character was great in a disturbing way and the "geek love" moments between her and Topher were cute.

Adelle really shown the head of the D.C. Dollhouse who's boss.

Ballard is finally confronted with his hypocrisy and seems to have made the decision to break ways with the Dollhouse. But I think it's a matter of time before he returns to it.

The Epitaph One future is beginning to be fulfilled with Rossum using Perrin as a puppet for pushing laws that will benefit them while at the same time grooming him as the future President of the United States which will give Rossum immeasurable power when that happens.

I feel so sorry for Mellie who gets screwed over yet again and I am so excited when thinking about the possibilities of Echo out in the world as a rogue Active.

4. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Absolutely brilliant.

I will add to Joe Washington's bit about the Epitaph One future. Topher and Bennent did a remote imprint, when sent through a phone that is the tech that destroys the world.

Also Victor as Topher was creepy amazing.

5. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

I agree, I couldn't believe how accurate the actor of Victor was as Topher. As for the episodes, my favorite to date, and I loved the opening moment, Topher's bit on Star Trek terminology and the active named Kilo weighing as such. I also found Summer Glau's character interesting, she seems to shift per personality from moment to moment while not showing signs of being an active.

6. Awesome Possum

Kilo was actually played by Maurissa Tancharoen, one of the writers and Joss Whedon's sister-in-law.

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther

^And she says no one is Asian in the movies! Between Maurissa's writing & some of the best episodes focusing on Sierra, Asians rock the Dollhouse!

Also, wasn't one of the guys holding Ballard captive the same guy that Ballard beat the shit out of in the kickboxing flashbacks in "Ghost"? (And also, isn't he Toa from NBC's recent American Gladiators revival?)

I rate this episode above average. ("Excellent" is reserved only for the most devastating episodes of the series, like "A Spy in the House of Love," "Epitaph One," & "Belonging.")

Not enough Boyd, Sierra, or Victor for my tastes. I did enjoy Victor's absolutely perfect portrayal of Topher. (Although, I'd suspect that Topher's broad mannerisms would be a lot easier to mimic than Mr. Dominic's.) Once again, he demonstrates talent far above the baseline set by this or any other series. Here's hoping Enver Gjokaj has the great success he deserves, whether it's on Dollhouse Season 3 or another series.

Revealing Senator Perrin as the Doll was brilliant. The ambiguities pile up, as it was the Dollhouse that "saved" Perrin from a "miserable" life as a drunken "loser." I loved the moment where he said that even if he could go back to the way he was, he wasn't sure he wanted to.

Here's a question: Did Perrin's politically connected relatives know about this? I can imagine disappointed fathers who would submit their children to this kind of abduction & alteration, all in the name of making him "better."

The Ballard/November scene was very sad. I can relate to that feeling of being in love with someone, not as they are, but as they used to be. It's hard. It seems Ballard has mostly be able to put his feelings for her behind him, but that moment where he accidentally calls her "Mellie," that says it all.:(

I'm kinda disappointed that Bennett wasn't a Doll. It breaks the pattern. Otherwise, every actor on the show that was a regular on a previous Whedon series turns out to be a Doll-- Eliza Dushku, Amy Acker, Alan Tudyk, Alexis Denisof. It's a fun pattern, kinda like that's the only way Joss was able to get such great performances out of his actors in the first place.

The Topher/Bennett geek love was fun, although some of it was a touch creepy.
    "Imagine John Cassavettes from The Fury as a hot chick."
    "Which we've often done!"
    :wtf:

I'm hoping we get more in the subsequent episodes about Bennett's history with Caroline.

Looking forward to Alpha's reappearance next week. Now all we need is the return of Dr. Saunders & Mr. Dominic.

Oddly, as a Rossum Corp. stooge, this is still one of the least creepy roles of Ray Wise's career.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I rated it 'Above Average'.

After the Sierra centric episode in 2x4 'Belonging' this was still a well done two-parter.

One possible loophole I found as I watched was this.
    Perrins wife tell some stooge to place the 'zapper device' into her black suitcase so that it is not detected at airport security.
    Then during the street fight scene later on she whips it out and uses it. Shouldn't it have been packed away and with the bodyguard stooges? Did I miss something or is that a writing miscue?

Loved Victor as Topher. That actor continues to amaze me. He is quickly going on my list of genre actors I will follow into other projects just to see what he does with a role.

Liked that Summer was not a doll, that actually surprised me as did the fact that Alexis was the doll. Did not see that coming, I had his wife pegged as the doll when we first saw them in episode 2x3.

Next week the return of Alpha!!! This show is going to go out on a creative high if the next two follow how the last 3 episodes have been. And to think these were all filmed before the cancellation news came down. Quality work and not closure/wrap up work.

9. StarshipDefiant

Your wish, is their command, Summer Glau will appear in at least one more episode this season and Mr. Dominic is due to appear as well, and so is Dr. Saunders/Whiskey, as Amy Acker was contracted to appear in three episodes. She will at the very least, appear in "The Hollow Men" which is the penultimate episode of Dollhouse.

I loved Summer Glau's appearance, and her role, I thought it was fantastic, and she wasn't a Doll, because Joss Whedon felt that she had done enough odd roles (her role was odd enough as it was), what with River and Cameron, he wanted to to have something more challanging, with different reasons.

Anyone like the idea the D.C. Dollhouse (and by implication, as a whole, all Dollhouse's) use a different naming scheme for their actives?

10. Awesome Possum

It made sense that each house would use a different system to avoid confusion.

11. StarshipDefiant

Yeah, I was trying to figure out a fic at one point and debated on trying to find a different naming system. Now, I know I'd have to, but the question is, what I'd use (and what could have the same meaning).

As for a continuing comment, I thought Ray Wise was excellent, and the scenes between him and Adelle were awesome. I just love the scene where she...'convinces' him of her view.

12. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Boston house uses past presidents' names
    The chicago house uses dog breeds
    The NY house uses Marvel Superhero names....

or not :)

13. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow this season has had some of the best episodes of the series and I think this show would have been A LOT better if Joss hadn't chosen so much 'brothel-esque' use/direction of the dolls with the show.

Although I think these episodes were driven more by the supporting cast then Eliza which is probably the other bullet which sunk the show. When you have a show featuring a main character becoming a completely different person each week you probably want to cast someone who can act a bit better to be able to convincingly pull it off.

I loved Summer Glau, the geeky moments mixed in with the crazed sociopath was delicious ;) I really loved Ray Wise appearing. Who better than the devil himself. I kept getting Reaper flashbacks watching the type of personality he was using when talking with Adelle.

14. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I fully agree. The irony being Joss wanted *more* of that 'brothel-esque' stuff but the network wouldn't have it.

Victor was spot on as Topher. Fantastic work. :bolian:

15. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Summer Glau is the most one note actor/actress on the planet. My god she has ZERO range. LOL

16. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, we might see more range if she'd stop being cast as crazy people and robots.

17. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent episode. Really enjoyed Victor as Topher, Summer's bizarre nerdiness. She actually made the scenes with Topher in them, not cringeworthy. Wish she'd been on the show from the beginning.

Looking forward to the watching the show's las episodes. Looks like they're going out right.

18. StarshipDefiant

I'm rather fond of her work, but I can see what people are saying, several of her recent roles had some sort of bizarreness to it. I think this one has somewhat of a more realistic reason to it, between the fact she's seemingly a nerd (then again maybe that's just an act), seeing Echo/Caroline clearly sent her over the edge (if there's any truth what so ever to her memory/the flashback, who can blame her), along with some other issues (she talks to herself as if there were different persona's arguing) and finally it's hinted that she's not working for the Dollhouse under the most voluntarily of positions/conditions.

With that said, I'm looking forward to her other appearance (there's only one other confirmed, and probably would have been expanded if there had been a season three), and the final set of episodes.

19. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Has Summer Glau ever portrayed a character who wasn't weird in the head? (The Cameronator is weird in the head by human standards.)

20. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Enver Gjokaj did a real good job of mimicking what Fran Kranz has done with Topher.