Things you wanted as a child

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Jan 30, 2013.

1. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I wanted to control animals' behavior with my mind.

2. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Lol!

I would love to have been able to control my three brothers with my mind!

I wanted to be Vulcan. Having Mr.Spock might have done quite nicely, too.

3. thestrangequark

^I actually have a very clear memory of sitting in class in 4th grade, staring out the window that overlooked the parking lot, and trying to will a flock of seagulls to shit on my teacher's car.

4. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^LOL

In my very young cowboys-and-Indians-playing days, I wanted an Annie Oakley rifle sooo badly. Yes, it was a toy rifle marketed to little girls.

5. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure there are lots of things I'm forgetting, but what sticks out right away are a Ouija Board, Girl Talk (and Mall Madness), and hanging beads for my doorway. As computers became more popular, there were several games that I wanted, but luckily my best friend's dad worked for a software company so I got to play some fun stuff at her house. I also wanted an SNES, and still haven't got one.

6. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I SO wanted a video-game (back then 'Tennis' was the only thing available :rommie: ) but dad was too afraid of burn-in t let me have one :sigh:

7. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Redfern - I glad that those sea-monkeys were mainly a positive experience for you. If it had been me I think I would have been totally disappointed with them.

thestrangequark and KimM - Though I never tried to control animals or people with my mind, at one point I got it into my head that if I willed it enough I would be able to fly. I must have seen something on TV that put this idea into my mind.

8. thestrangequark

^Yeah, I tried the flying thing too. I never quite believed it, but I always tried to believe!

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

After they did that, I would guess that they ran...they ran so far away? :rofl:

10. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps you were successful in controlling them, only they were out of ammo? Try again, maybe you can control them!

11. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

There were two toys that I remember wanting but didn't ask for because I didn't want to be mocked by my family. I liked dolls and had them, but a lot of them were just considered too silly by my siblings and parents, I guess? One doll I wanted, I don't remember the name, but you would buy it and then find out if it was a boy or a girl or something like that. It probably already had a name from a list, too. The other toy I wanted was the "Puppy Surprise" which was a stuffed dog that had somewhere between 3-5 puppies.

I did end up with a Cabbage Patch doll that my sister got as a present but thought was silly, so that was my baby instead.

12. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I wanted a 'Star Wars' lightsaber when I was a kid :). Never got one though. Got some other sword instead, that broke the same day I got it. Gee, thanks mom! :D :lol:

13. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

When I was in grade 1--this was in the '74-'75 school year--a lot of my girl friends got the Barbie Beach Bus for Christmas. I wanted one as well, but never got it. Instead, I was later given some cheaper knock-off version. It wasn't the real thing, but I played with it a lot.

What I also wanted when I was much younger was anything pink. I have three older brothers, and while my mother would buy me some girl clothes I wore a lot of my brother's hand-me-downs. Apart from the y-fronts, if it fit, I wore it. As an anecdote I very badly wanted a pink room with white furniture. No such luck, though. I was finally given matching bedroom furniture when I was 12 and had my jaw surgery, but never had the pink walls I wanted.

14. thestrangequark

I remember Puppy Surprise! But I never got it.
    I did have a Cabbage Patch kid, though. I won him in a Cabbage Patch Look-Alike contest when I was 2. Apparently they tried to give me a blonde baby girl in a frilly dress, but I wanted a bald baby boy, and so I got Marlin Rudolph, and I still have him in a box somewhere. :)

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    At one point I did seriously want stigmata, but I now realise that would not have been a good idea.

16. thestrangequark

^Sewing needles up your sleeves will do the trick!

17. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Early on I wanted a go cart.

Some kids had in neighborhood had them and they looked so cool...

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That happened on Law & Order once.

A charismatic cult leader hid pins in his hands and produced stigmata in court. His followers were so impressed that they later killed themselves en masse. One of the most chilling finales I've ever seen on L&O.

19. thestrangequark

^And it has happened in real life...pretty much every time there has been stigmata.

20. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I wanted tennis lessons as a child. As a 11 year old I got one summer of them but only because my brother, who was theee years younger, wanted them and I had to accompany him as a minder. My brother always got whatever he asked for. However my brother tired of tennis quickly and the next summer he wasn't interested in going.

My sister loved horses and she used to go to a riding camp each summer as a Christmas present. She also got less for her birthday because of the cost of As the tennis lessons I wanted were in January and February I told Mum I was quite willing to have lessons as a combined Christmas/birthday present (my birthday is in late February).

Mum refused saying "You will never be good enough". I asked her what she meant and she told me I would never be good enough to play tennis competitively. I told her that I wanted to play tennis because I enjoyed the game and it didn't matter if I might not be able to play it competitively. My mother still refused.

I thought it very unfair. She let my sister go to riding camp and my sister would never be a jockey or compete competitively.

I never asked my mother for a single thing ever again. If she asked me what I wanted for Christmas I would say "I don't know" and she would have to either offer suggestions or ask my brother what he thought I would want.