New Mutants movie?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Spinoff Online is reporting that FOX may be thinking expanding their X-Movie franchise with a New Mutants movie.

Instead of an X4 maybe? In the article, they ask how this would be different from "First Class" other than the time period. A good question.

I'm a fan of the New Mutants, but am wondering if this would be tapping the well once to often?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

As long as the never actually refer to the group as "The New Mutants" it might be okay.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know the characters, but if they can get some of the people behind FC involved I'd probably be up for it. I wonder if they'd treat it as an actual spin off of the first 2 X-movies or as a completely separate entity?

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

X4 was once rumoured to be developed as a New Mutants film with Zak Penn writing the script. This was a couple of years before they began developing what would ultimately become "X-Men: First Class". I still say don't rule out X4. Laura Donner stated as recent as last spring time that they're still considering it. I still believe they are holding out hope that Bryan Singer could come back to direct it after "Jack the Giant Killer". I know Singer has a couple movies on his slate but he's been known to drop some as well :) If they're developing a "New Mutants" film this is a clear sign that they're very pleased with the mutants right now. "X-Men: First Class" critical acclaim obviously has given them confidence to develop more films. Right now we have:

-The Wolverine
    -Untitled X-Men First Class Sequel
    -New Mutants
    -Deadpool (still in development, waiting for Ryan Reynolds?)
    -X4 (possibility)

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Last spring was a year ago. Is that really considered "recent?"

6. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd absolutely love to see a New Mutants film. I started reading the trade paperbacks two years ago. Read the first 47 issues. Great series and among the best Claremont's written. It'll be great to see Dani Moonstar, Cannonball, and Sunspot on the big screen. Though I wouldn't put it past Hollywood to whitewash the cast.

7. Admiral_Young

@RoJoHen that's recent in hollywood IMO. I haven't seen anything about X4 since last year. Like I said though, I still believe they're holding out for the possibility of Singer returning. It would seem obvious though that they're in no rush to develop it and are content with First Class and Wolverine.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I've always found the New Mutants characters to be incredible lame, personally...

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly at this point I think I'd rather see something like NM with the original cast in a supporting role. By the time the next movie could be coming out it'll have been either 8 or 11 year since the last move, depending on whether or not you want to count The Last Stand, so I say we move on to something new. If they go on much longer we'll be entering TOS movie territory with most of the cast 50 or older. Of the 8 regular cast members, only Anna Paquin, Rebecca Romjin, and James Marsden are younger than 40 right now.

10. Admiral_Young

I think that First Class's success might have paved the way for the "New Mutants" to come out of development hell. Like I said the idea has been around since after The Last Stand wrapped up. James Marsden's character is dead so don't need to worry about Scott ;) The others though are getting on in age and also on to bigger things and might be busy schedule wise. Who knows though. First Class though really seems to have re-motivated Fox's attitude on the mutant front.

JD I love your avatar :)

11. Turtletrekker

I'd also love to see Magma and Wolfsbane. Although, as with "First Class", which did not resemble the comic it was named after, they might just use the name "New Mutants" and use "student" mutants from all of the various incarnations of the idea since New Mutants as well. We might just see characters like Monet St. Croix, Rockslide, Pixie, Anole or even, God help us all, Quentin Quire on the team. :eek:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  12. Admiral_Young

Quire's awesome though!!!! :)

13. Turtletrekker

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Broo. :cool:

14. Admiral_Young

^ Broo's awesome too! Aww...who am I kidding? I love all the students at the school. I really have a hard time disliking any of them. Even Kid Gladiator.

15. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Seems Fox is aiming to go the AVENGERS route: Having multiple movies series and maybe merging them later:
    - The Wolverine (2013)
    - First Class sequel (2014)
    - Deadpool (2014?)
    - New Mutants (2015)

Maybe cumulatin in X-Men 4 in 2016? AVENGERS will pull in a lot of money, and Fox will want to copy the formula. Their most popular franchise are the X-Men. Maybe they will throw the F4 reboot into the established X-continuity?!

Great times to be an X-Men fan.

16. Admiral_Young

I don't think Fox is going the Marvel Studios route at all, there doesn't appear to be any kind of coherent plan at work, they're merely developing properties they own. Don't expect to see any shared continuity either between the superhero films and the mutant community. I very much doubt that Fox has any sort of interest in that. In order for Fox to "copy" Marvel Studios plan they'd have to have someone in charge of their superhero film development division or whatever they call it (someone equivalent to Kevin Feige at Marvel Studios) and I don't believe they do.

17. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well maybe at least they will make it for the X-films. Lauren Shuler Donner is the equivalent to Kevin Feige. She is the producer of all X-themed films at FOX. And she mentioned that if an X4 gets made, it will connect to an X5, and probably be set up by another FIRST CLASS film.
    Let's wait and see. :)

18. Admiral_Young

Lauren Shuler-Donner is in charge of the X-Men films, but not the entire line of their superhero properties. We already know that X4 is connected to First Class, since the latter film is considered a prequel to the main X-Men series. That doesn't mean though that there is a coherent plan at work here like at Marvel Studios.

19. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Geez, how could I forget about Wolfsbane? She'd be perfect too for a film. I was never much of a fan of Magma though...the writers never seemed to know what to do with her.

I wouldn't mind Quire popping up somewhere. Although wasn't there a Kid Omega in The Last Stand? Not that I would be opposed to to disregarding that film...

20. Admiral_Young

There is a student credited as being "Kid Omega" but like so much The Last Stand ruined, they gave him Quill's powers. In the film "Kid Omega" is responsible for killing Dr. Rao and nearly kills Warren's father but was stopped by Warren himself. He was killed by Phoenix along with Pyslocke and Arclight.