Now that we know the new Doctor...what´s going to change?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by FreddyE, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want a sensible mix of the plainer style and the more eccentric styles really. I'd like him in a long black coat with a turned up collar. Maybe have a double breasted waist coat like the eighth doctor. Something along the lines of the Shalka doctor would suit Capaldi.

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Today's HD would allow that technicolor thing to blind viewers. Think of the lawsuits!

Like Green Lantern said, the Shalka outfit, slightly toned down as far as the style, would suit Capaldi pretty well.

And I would like to hear his natural accent used.

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Something like this perhaps?

[​IMG]

4. Sketcher

Sketcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope they go with something like what Hugh Laurie wore on House - blazer, jeans, t-shirt. Something more contemporary and youthful while still conveying that the Doctor is a smart, eccentric individual.

5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope they don't try to dress him up as a Pirate like they did Matt Smith.

6. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

7. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

When was 11 dressed as a pirate?

8. Venardhi

The plan early on was to put him in a big piratey "Jack Sparrow"-esque outfit. He reportedly objected.

9. Venardhi

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I really don't think the Doctor should be dressed as Walter Bishop (as wonderful as Walter is)

Putting Smith in a tweed jacket emphasised the old man in the young man notion, sticking Capaldi in a cardigan would just make an old man look older!

I kinda like the idea of a blazer with a t-shirt under it, a mixture of styles would suit Capaldi I think.

As for Smith's pirate look, since no pics ever came out it we'll never know what it looked like, though I do suspect it was more grungy/toned down that the Jack Sparrow ensemble people probably suspect. Does perplext me though, I guessed the tweed jacket look v early on, seemed perfect for Matt Smith given that even in his first interview he had a mad professor air about him.

11. Venardhi

I suspect it was a big 19th century coat of some kind with big brass buttons and oversized cuffs, perhaps with a bit of the ratty-edged leather grunginess we see in the notDoctor's outfit.

12. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well depending on how they deal with the whole Trenzalore thing, I think maybe at least for his post regen, maybe 11's slacks and shirt, no vest.

I DO see Clara being the one to choose his wardrobe - everytime he's regen'd he's had a wardrobe choosing scene, be nice to see him dressed for a change by a companion. I'm thinking black slacks, black loafers, a brighter shirt - like maybe a blue or green oxford and a light colored blazer, no tie for the most part, with a scarf again. Not that he needs a large and loudly colored scarf like 4, but something to sort of give that 'Doctoral' look. Still modern looking, but like a cleaned up version of 11's absent minded professor look.

As for his sonic, I'm thinking strip down the current one, remove the claws and just have it look more silver with the green probe at the end, maybe a return to the extension of the 9/10th Doctor's sonic but with more of a ring and maybe bring in the tilting head feature that 9/10's was supposed to have with extending feet.

13. beneldon

beneldon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I began to see the Eccleston Doctor when he was at the dinner table with the orphans in The Empty Child. for some reason, that did it for me but he was only around for another few eps regenerating into David Tennant. I took a liking to #10 as most everyone else in the world early on and was quite saddened when My Favorite Doctor; Tom Baker's record seven series would not be broken. When I saw a picture of Matt Smith as he was slated to be #11 my first thought was "WTF! He looks so twee and fey!" and I hated "Geronimo!" Fish and custard was a good start, but what sealed it for me was the scene in The Hungrey Earth when the people barracaded in the church realized that the kid was missing and it was the Doctor's fault. The way Smith backed up and reacted so innocent with a dawning realization that he really screwed up was just brilliant!

All that said, when the clenching fist turned into Peter Capaldi I wasn't too impressed and subsequent viewings of his Malcolm character has pushed me off this new Doctor.

All THAT said, I've learned my lesson about book cover judging and want to give Mr. Capaldi a chance. I understand him to be a great actor and a fan of the show since childhood so I don't think it's a safe bet I would stop watching the show (such esoteric fandom has no place in true show love!) In fact, I think an "older" Doctor is just what would be needed since this would be his uh, "last" regeneration and the good Doctor would want to take it easy in his twilight years. That, and a dashing male hottie companion is just what the Clara ordered to give the tweenagers a thrill now that fezes and bow ties are no longer cool.

14. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

I assumed that his death was from from the intelligence messing with his past and that energy was there because Claire wasn't there to go into the stream and save him. Though I could be forgetting something important.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay... Here's a fucking novel idea... How about he's the Doctor who changes his clothes every day.

Lets just consider that even if the TARDIS is self cleaning, and that that self cleaning extends to the people inside the TARDIS and the clothes which they are wearing, as they are still wearing what they are wearing, nanties or targeted microdematerialiazation of fluff, grit and grime, that because the Doctor doesn't sleep (Does he sleep? Can sleep and doesn't have to sleep are different.) he can go for months were he is wearing exactly the same pair of manties without falter or reprieve.

16. Venardhi

Changing his clothes is fine, and he would hardly be the first (Smith has worn a handful of jackets and at least as many shirts under them, Eccleston had different jumpers and pants, and Tennant had two suits and a few different shirts and ties under them.), but he should still have a signature look the same that all the Doctors have. A few variations on that look is always nice to mix it up, but if you let him change every episode the character looses a bit of the that unearthly icon status.

17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I'm not sure how Clara could be in his timestream and only see up to 11.

18. Venardhi

Well with all the timey-wimeyness, perhaps the future was in such flux that she doesn't remember anything she did see.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Becuase when the Doctor died, he made sure that would be the limits of his marker, and that those who buried him would double check, and the TARDIS his tomb would triple check that the final couple lives are hidden in a black list secret subdirectory.

When his time finaly came, he knew what was going to happen, so there was no need to make it unduly difficult for Clara, because it wasn't.

20. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

She jumped into the Time Stream during the life of the 11th doctor so she's been there in his past but may not have seen the future. Except when breaking the first law of time, even the doctor doesn't know of his future selves.