DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read all of Firestorm the Nuclear Men the other day because in the 80s that was my go-to book.

There was some nice stuff with spies and secret empires and corporations, but over all, it's a little bit shit.

I'd like this title cancelled.

Although it was funny looking at the advertising month after month (20 minutes after 20 minutes?) demanding that I buy Blue Beetle because it's the best book ever... RIP.

And seriously.

You're Firestorm, home to Felicity Smoak, who is on TV... USE HER!

It's just bad.

The Justice league International turned up briefly... RIP.

Advise your enemies to read this book because its awful.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a shame. All three titles you mentioned had so much potential.

3. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Read Action #19. Judging by this issue, I would've gladly stayed on for Andy Diggle. Aside from some of Morrison's issues, I haven't enjoyed reading a Superman book this much since the New 52. The scene with Lois and Clark at the beginning was great, Luthor's scene with the therapist was brilliantly creepy, and the actual plot was also quite intriguing. And to think Diggle would've given us a whole run, but thanks to editorial, he's already gone.

On that note, I still haven't figured out if Diggle is the writer of the following two issues, or if someone else will conclude the arc. I'd like to know if I can cancel my subscription now or if there's still two issues of Diggle's work to look forward to. Anybody know?!

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I believe that the next two issues are scripted to Diggle's plot.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes but they are written by Tony Daniel.

6. Guy Gardener

I liked the UN... Was it Congress or the UN? But regardless I liked their interest in the Fortress of Solitude... There's no way that's the end of that.

When Saddey used to say "no", and Kimmy says "no" now to UN weapons inspectors, it was because they didn't what the world to know how imaginary and impotent their weapons really are, but Superman thinks that the governments of the world are too childlike to handle the multitude of doomsday devices he has stored in his home.

This is not going to end soon, or well.

7. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked Action #19 as well. Art and story were fine with me. Wished that Diggle would've stayed on as well. I picked up Batman #19, and thought it was just okay. They actually did fake me out for a moment. Totally forgot about that guy.

Batwoman #18 had a pretty good fight with Mr. Freeze, but I felt the issue was a bit of a waste. I felt it didn't do enough with the non-reveal at the end. It made the issue feel like filler to me.

Suicide Squad #19 was just decent. The story didn't have the punch. I think Glass has been fading for a while and I wonder how much of that is because he is leaving the book?

And I have been keeping up with Batwing. I liked David, but am intrigued enough to continue reading the adventures of the new man in the Batwing suit.

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm really behind on my reading so I've only read the first couple of issues of Firestorm, but I was not impressed. I stopped buying it after 0 month and will eventually catch up but based on the first few issues I'm not really sure it'll be worth it.

9. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^Yea Firestorm was pretty poor. The merge of the two main characters just doesnt work no matter how hard they try. While I can accept many of the changes in the DC universe I just cannot accept Raymond being turned into such a jerk of a character. I actually liked the storyline in the book but not the main Firestorm himself.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I am also a fairly big fan of the Firestorm character. I first got started during later end of the 80's series. Ronald and Professor and then of course Ostrander took over and, if I recall right, Firestorm became an elemental while retaining the Professor's memories?

I bought and loved all of the revamp they did with the introduction of Jason. Felt they had a strong run, that they brought Ronnie back great while still keeping the book as Jason's.

Then I got the NU52 issue #1 and stopped. I flipped through issues on the stand through about issue 10 though spot reading and remained unimpressed with the characterization of Ronnie and Jason. The jock/nerd black/white as a means to tell a story itself felt weak. Lazy story telling. I felt as if the writers were saying "We see race as a great story telling perspective" without realizing that the audience(maybe I'm projecting) wasn't interested in the race of either character but likes the character of the characters themselves. They screwed it up out of the gate imo.

11. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Which likely means a good story, but probably lacking the nice characterizations Diggle did on #19. Well, I guess I'll stick around. The "Adventures of Superman" print edition has been delayed to end of May, anyway.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds dull to me - it's constant internal conflict - it's like when Daredevil became all about darkness and mental illness, yes that is a cool take for a way but over and over and over?

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that is the main reason why I have no interest in "Green Lantern" right now and even with what the new creative team are planning...it seems dull and uninteresting to me. I'm sure there are others who are enjoying the books, but for me there isn't any particular reason to read them right now.

15. Icemizer

Mostly just stick with the main GL book and some random other GLs if they look interesting. Looks like that will continue.

16. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'm kind of mixed, as I see where you're coming from. Truthfully, I've been far more interested in the few issues dealing with Sinestro and Hal's teamup than a lot of the Third Army stuff. I'm also wondering if it's a wise decision to
    bring Mogo back so soon even with the need for allies against the Guardians. Given the nature of comic deaths and Mogo's importance to the Corps, I'm not too surprised at the thought, but it has the potential to undo the difficult choice John made in the war arc.

I'd have to read the issues to get a better opinion though. Also it seems Mogo will be female.

17. Icemizer

Last Week
    First off the gatefold covers all pretty much suck.
    Justice League #19. A good mystery, Batman still lying to team mates, Cyborg serves no useful function, I like the new Atom.
    Vibe #3 was interesting as we continue to explore the limits of his powers. The Kid Flash reveals were pretty cool.
    Supergirl #19 was good this week for one reason and that was the return of the Boob window for Powergirl. Hopefully her costume now created by the Kryptonian replicator will be indestructable.
    Batwoman #19. This book is always interesting. I dont always like it but it is interesting.
    DC Universe presents #19 Picked this one up just for the cover which had the Flash on it. The less said about the inside the better.
    LSH #19 Did not realize that the Emerald Eye could be that violent and destructive. The Eye is one of my favorite LSH villians and was used well here.
    Wonder Woman #19 The story moves on and is being well handled but nothing much happens in this issue except we pick a name for the baby.

This week
    All Star Western #19
    Injustice Gods Among Us #4
    Justice League Dark #19
    Katana #3
    Superman #19
    Teen Titans #19
    The Flash #19
    The Fury of Firestorm #19

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I think Cyborg serves a very useful function. In addition to being able to teleport the team pretty much anywhere he also seems to monitor all electronic communications in the world for the team.

I'm really enjoying the Shazam backup feature in Justice League. I wouldn't mind seeing him get his own book.

19. Guy Gardener

The Justice League has only just started picking up second generation of stringers.

Cyborg is now a FOUNDING MEMBER which comes with a shit load of status as the new 52 continues to roll out.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not really. Hell, Aquaman and J'Onn were founding members in the Silver Age and they had to fight for "respect". Aquaman's still fighting. :lol: