Geek out Smallville moment!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Othello, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

What?? Are you suggesting that "Matter-Eater Lad" as a code name was silly?:klingon:

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I almost put in my post that I cant defend "Matter-Eater Lad"

3. ElScoob

ElScoob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I held out as long as I could, so I'll chime in and mention that I'm waiting for the episode with bated breath. Geoff Johns writing the script gives me a fair amount of hope.

That said: for the record, Chuck Taine, the future Bouncing Boy, actually stopped off at a robot-gladiator tournament ("savage, exciting... yet harmless") rather than a ball game.

As for defending Matter-Eater Lad, I'll step right up. Matter-Eater Lad is 100% pure unadulterated awesome. He's basically a character who screams out to writers, "do something cool with me". Some, like Paul Levitz (who wrote some extremely great Legion stories, make no doubt), knew their limits and declined to take up the challenge. Others have bravely stepped up to the plate and given it their best, to varying degrees of success (Keith Giffen, aided and abetted by Tom and Mary Bierbaum, probably made the best go at it I can think of). Matter-Eater Lad is a heroic soul with a fantastic sense of humor, a better set of hand-to-hand combat skills than you might think, and the ability to thoroughly destroy any form of matter you'd care to name (albeit in a peculiar fashion). Even in the 90s pre-Zero Hour Legionnaires series, when a lot of the Legionnaires traded up their Silver Age monikers for new Image-kewl names (Lightning Lad=Live Wire, Sun Boy=Inferno, Element Lad=Alchemist, Triplicate Girl=Triad, Phantom Girl=Apparition, etc. etc. etc.), our boy recognized that the name "Matter-Eater Lad" was simply too awesome to be improved upon. And he even saved the universe once, by eating the Miracle Machine--an object even Superboy couldn't destroy.

I'll defend M-E Lad with my dying breath. But I'm not the guy you should watch out for. As the saying goes, you don't want to pick on Matter-Eater Lad. Because being picked on gives him an appetite.

And you don't want to give him an appetite... :devil:

--g

4. Misfit Toy

^Bravo - an eloquent defense.

Yay Tenzil!! :bolian:

5. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Didn't Matter-Eater Lad go (at least temporarily) insane after eating the Miracle Machine?

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^Yes.

Great defense of M-E Lad, ElScoob. He can basically disintegrate anything by touching it...with the inside of his mouth. The time he chomped the Persuader's Atomic Axe in two was priceless.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw the trailer a few days ago and thought it was awesome. Really looking forward to Legion and have faith in Geoff Johns...I got Superman and the Legion of Superheroes in anticipation of the episode since he has hinted some of that was inspiration for Legion.

Admiral Young

8. ElScoob

ElScoob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He did indeed. I believe Brainiac 5 eventually managed to cure him, if memory serves.

It was also suggested in at least one story, years later, that Tenzil retained some residue of the Miracle Machine's energies after eating it, giving him the ability to influence the nature of reality (albeit unconsciously)... which may account for some of his later bizarre adventures.

I suddenly remembered another point in Tenzil's favor: in Jim Shooter's famous 'Adult Legion' story, Tenzil eventually became president of his home planet Bismoll.

A president who can eat matter in all forms. How awesome is that?

(I realize that by definition, probably any president of Bismoll would be able to eat matter in all forms. But how many of them were retired super-heroes?)

--g

9. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is the capitol of Bismoll named "Pepto"?

10. Misfit Toy

I always thought that would be a great name for Matter-Eater Dog.

11. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

You know, between Streaky the Super-Cat, Comet the Super-Horse, Krypto the Super-Dog, Ace the Bat-Hound, and Chameleon Boy's pet Proty (and its successor, the imaginatively named Proty II), that's not such a big stretch...

12. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

You left out Beppo the Super-Monkey! :lol:

13. Misfit Toy

[​IMG]

That picture actually looks a little like Jimmy Olsen.

14. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

^ I wouldn't be surprised if that was an actual "Superman's Pal" storyline.

15. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Nah...Olsen had more of an affinity for turtles. ;)

[​IMG]

16. Misfit Toy

And werewolves.

[​IMG]

17. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Dude, I agree! I'd love to see my beloved little blonde go bad-ass for a spell! I say turn her into the Chlovinator and let her take numbers and kick ass!

:techman:

Seriously though, that promo looks good. I'm psyched for January 15.

18. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Imagine Jimmy Olsen HELL! :eek:

[​IMG]

19. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

maybe ive been at Superdickery to much, but why does Superman never help Jimmy when he gets into these situations?

They should do an issue (yeah I know its not running anymore) where Jimmy gets Clarks powers, and flys off to become Superman refusing to help him change back

Clark: Oh no Jimnmy Olsen and I have body swapped he has my powers and my identity, Lois will never believe what happened. Im alone helpless & trapped in the body of Jimmy Olesn.

Jimmy (flying away): Now you know how it feels Superman, to have your friends turn your back on you when you need their help the most, I will be Superman for ever, and soon Lois will be mine. Oh & that trick you played on me with the Green Arrow, well that was just mean, I now know that you Clark Kent was the Red & Blue blur.

20. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

It's not?!

:eek:

:lol: