Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by bbjeg, Sep 6, 2013.

?

Do fans want the prime timeline back?

1. I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back.

56.0%
  2. I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back.

16.4%
  3. I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back.

11.1%
  4. I don't care, just give me Trek!

14.6%
  5. I don't know.

1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And you notice this is the first time Kirk has another group of redshirts sent down after the first ones dies just to make sure they still have expendable crewmen around.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Well, yea, protection for the regulars and semi-regulars :D

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Actually, there was a lot worse on TV at the time. This was the same time Friday the 13th: The Series was airing and, only a few years later, Freddy's Nightmare's aired. These shows brought us some of the goriest scenes ever shown on television.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Plus, of course, SCANNERS was already out on VHS, which is kinda the gold-standard for exploding head scenes. :)

5. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

One of the things I liked about Landon was she could Kirk-fu it just like the boys.

6. Greg Cox

Yeah, for a few minutes there, she turns into Emma Peel!

7. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I looked up Yvonne Craig once, and found out that she, too, was in an Elvis Presley movie. Not that this is any selling point on me, his music is just ... well ... it was a Fifties Fad and that's cool. He should've left it at that, before he let himself bloat out in the Seventies and then die on the toilet. But I will give him this much credit: he definitely had an eye for the Ladies of Star Trek!

8. Greg Cox

The one about the World's Fair in Seattle, right? As I recall, she has a good dance routine near the beginning of the movie . . . .

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  9. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Dude. That's the King of whom you speak. He appeared increasingly prosperous and died on his throne, thank you very much.

10. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

I'm from Canada, actually (I like the name because of its power) and what I said, still stands; these fans are treating the franchise as a religion, when it's just a TV show, and they are acting in a certain way that I find to be fanatical because of the new movies. Anybody else could see that and say that, but they haven't, so it might as well be me.

If they like the older shows, that's fine and good, but they have to realize that what they remember about it is a selective memory (and has been disproved by others here.) Star Trek is an action adventure show at its core, and for the current franchise runner(s) to deny this would be foolish and end up destroying it. Thankfully, they're not listening to these fans, and the franchise is doing right, and making new fans, not deluded ones stuck in the past who can't progress. As for the comparisions to Mandela, you're the one who's really reaching now.:vulcan:

11. 2takesfrakes

Kind of hard to believe, seeing pictures of him in that condition, that he'd had most of the hottest women of his day.

You've just won the Christmas Turkey! A quick search reveals that Yvonne starred in roles with Elvis Presley in two films:
    "It Happened at the World's Fair" and "Kissin' Cousins."
    Celeste Yarnall starred in the Elvis Presley vehicle:
    "Live a Little, Love a Little"

12. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^And Laurel Goodwin starred in an Elvis movie as well (can't remember which one).

EDIT: It's Girls Girls Girls.

13. Greg Cox

I tried to watch the World's Fair one, mainly because I attended the same World's Fair as a child, but couldn't get through it. Yvonne is cute in the dance number, though.

14. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

... is still kinda cray-cray, just a bit. Someone not liking a thing you like doesn't make them the equivalent of a religious fanatic, and repeating that won't make it true or relevant to anything. To put it another way: if you insist upon seeing crazies and fanatics everywhere, it's worth holding up a second and wondering if maybe the problem isn't that everyone else is crazy, if you know what I mean.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  15. 2takesfrakes

Yes, you mentioned having hailed from Washington state, before. It sounds like you miss your old stomping grounds - why did you move from there - if one may know? The Seattle music scene was awesome in the Nineties, with Nirvana and all the rest ... sounds like it's a really cool place!

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I don't think Greg's part of the grunge generation. ;)

17. Greg Cox

Indeed. I left Seattle in 1987, so I was gone before grunge, Starbucks, and Microsoft . . .

To answer the question, though, it was a career move. David Hartwell (who was the original Trek editor at Pocket Books, btw) convinced me that if I was really serious about this whole science-fiction writing and editing thing I needed to move to NYC where the action was. (I believe the phrase "wasting your life busing tables in Seattle" may have been involved.) It actually took me two or three years to work up the nerve to make the Big Move, but I've never regretted it . . . although I do miss the Northwest sometimes.

18. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

He didn't age well, largely due to lifestyle issues, but if you look at Elvis in his prime, it's very easy to believe he did so well with the ladies. Young Elvis was gorgeous.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Hard to believe a lifestyle that included drugs and fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches would be bad for you. :lol:

20. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Re: shocking or violent scenes in Trek -- For my money, nothing Abrams' Trek has done thus far comes even close to Commander Sonak's agonized squealing as the transporter forms him into a twisted writhing mass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.