So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

After waiting most of the year to get back to the 24th century I've just got into Revelation and Dust when it's all gone wrong...

I picked up all the Game of Thrones novels for Kindle at £0.99 each (I've had the paperbacks for ages but they're too big to tote around and read on the bus). I was going to hold off on them but I foolishly tried a chapter or two and I'm hooked.

It could be a while before I get back to 'The Fall'...

2. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished Revelation and Dust this morning. Took about a third of the book before it finally grabbed and held my attention. I have thoughts, but this isn't the place for them. I'll meander over to the review thread eventually - going out for the afternoon though, so it'll have to wait.

Next up, of course, is The Crimson Shadow.

3. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished The Crimson Shadow. Great book. Una McCormack has a very readable writing style. Looking forward to next month's instalment of The Fall.

Hmm, what to read next...?

4. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Been playing catch up with the Typhon Pact novels. Recently finished reading "Raise the Dawn" and starting the first chapter or two of "Brinkmanship"

5. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Decided to finally read the DS9 relaunch. After The Crimson Shadow, I decided to start with A Stitch in Time - I read it back when it was first published (2000?), and its as good as I remember.

6. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

I have been reading the Riyria Revelations, a wonderful fantasy series by Michael J. Sullivan. Alternating between that and of course, Star Trek. Currently reading Revelation and Dust by David R. George III. Finally, it's picking up after a really slow start. Back to reading...

7. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished reading 3 scifi novels Stargazer novels Enima& Maker and Echoes back McDevitt. I got tartrek SCE Out of the CoCoon.

8. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Took a small break from Vanguard #7: What Judgements Come, to finish off David Mack's mirror universe novel, Rise Like Lions. It was fantastic! I began reading it a few months ago when i was on a plane, and forgot that i hadn't finished it. Highly recomended to everyone :techman:

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Albion (Alan & Leah Moore, John Reppion, Shane Oakley & George Freeman) - A lovely tribute to the forgotten British IPC and AP comics characters, some of whom I'm old enough to remember. (I certainly remember and recognised Captain Hurricane (who's actually the scariest character), Grimly Feendish, Robot Archie, and various others).

Storywise, it could have done with better editing - bits are too rushed and other bits are too empty - but overall it was good fun, with a nice meta plot, and endless references and easter eggs. Best of all, the trade paperback also included some of the original 60s and 70s strips, which is cool.

This is something that the British film or TV industry really ought to do on screen (perhaps Moore would be less hostile to that)...

10. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently finished reading the third and fourth volumes of the Babylon 5 mirror universe by Gareth Williams

11. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am almost halfway though "Mere Mortals" by David Mack (2008) and still playing catch-up. Also recently read "Make Hub, Not War" by CLB in ANALOG (Nov. 2013). Also about halfway through "International Regimes" edited by Stephen D. Krasner and it is challenging IR readings (1983). "The School for Scandal" by Sheridan (1777) was a very good read. Look forward to reading up-to-date novels.

12. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

The Fate of the Phoenix. Marshak and Culbreath. Enough said.

13. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I just finished Frozen Heat by "Richard Castle".

I'm now starting the second Burgoyne story from Star Trek: New Frontier: No Limits, "Through the Looking Glass" by Susan Wright.

14. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Moving on to Ilsa Bick's Well of Souls.

15. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I am giving the first Game of Thrones book a read.

16. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Currently reading:
    The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare
    Gone for Soldiers by Jeff Shaara
    The Wounded Land: The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever #1 by Stephen R. Donaldson

Since my last post, I finished:
    The Fall: The Crimson Shadow by Una McCormack
    The Illearth War & The Power that Preserves: The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever #2 and #3 by Stephen R. Donaldson

17. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

"The Wounded Sky" by Diane Duane.

18. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

Last night I read the second Burgoyne story from Star Trek: New Frontier: No Limits, "Through the Looking Glass" by Susan Wright.

Today I read the final story in No Limits, the Calhoun/Shelby story "A Little Getaway" by Peter David.

After I post this I'm going to start Star Trek: New Frontier: After the Fall by Peter David.

19. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Belated reply here...

Hope you enjoyed it. :)

It just worked out that way. Putting together No Limits was quite the challenge, as we only had a couple of months to put it together -- and by "we," I mean "I," as I did the bulk of the legwork on that antho. Peter had final approval over everything, of course, but I was the one who put out the big e-mail blast to every writer I could think of and hoping someone could write a story about a particular NF character in eight weeks.

I wanted to make sure every main character was represented, but I also wasn't about to turn down a story, so the fact that both Susan and I went for Soleta and Bob and Susan went for Burgoyne is just how it worked out. (We had a Xyon story in the works, but the draft didn't quite work, and we didn't have time to work with the author on it because of the compressed timeframe, so we had to drop it.)

I'm really pleased with how that anthology came out, especially given the time constraints.....

20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started reading the Tos Novel The Last Roundup by Christie Golden. Kirk's nephew Julius is a really jerky character in this book. He certainly got all the Colonists into a lot of trouble.