Most Powerful Sci-Fi Civilization

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Harbinger, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I thought TARDISes were sentient lifeforms unto themselves?

Or does this just apply to special ones, like Compassion? And apparently the Doctor's TARDIS?

IIRC there was one episode where the Doctor mentions changing the "desktop theme" to "coral". I guess this refers to the constantly changing control room appearance, which appears to be configurable at the user's whim.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yeah, sounds like Lensman magnified. :lol:

4. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

According to the Doctor, there is at least one civilization that would undo either Time Lords or Daleks if even one of them went rogue: the Osirans. The Doctor trapped Sutekh, but had he lived nothing would have overcome him.

5. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Santaman, the fact that the Cosmocrats can't communicate directly with humans is a limitation, NOT a strength.
    I'm sure it was introduced for the Perry Rhodan Cosmocrats in order to make them cool and mysterious; but this came at a price, depowering them.

The Q, on the other hand, have no problem directly communicating with humans, despite themselves being beyond human understanding.

TV trek didn't go too deeply into describing the Q.
    The trek lit line made it pretty clear that the Q are part of the ruling class of the multiverse, not limited to its iterations that include the federation's known history(ies).

And now, the Cosmocrats rarely use their power.
    Any practical definition of power has to include not only the capability to do something, but the will to do something, as well. Apparently, more often than not, the Cosmocrats lack the latter.

All things considered, when comparing the Q and the Cosmocrats, the Cosmocrats are the ones found lacking.

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure, but it would seem...

That all of them have a limited intelligence of their own when they develop fully enough to have a "brain" like organ or 'matrix'. But Time Lord's might somehow partially labotomise them by controlling their mental development over the centuries. The TARDIS we know is different, even among her own kind, it's possible she's very smart or aware, or was spared any control mechanism the Lords put in place and represents what they're meant to be. But they are lifeforms in their own right, not like the Farscape Levaithons.

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

That was from Time Crash the Comedy Relief short and the fifth Doctor was refereing it being like a wallpaper theme. Since as we later learn the TARDIS has all of the console room in storage past, present and future.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

In reference to cosmocrats and the Q..as I said, I find it bit pointless to comment on which super race is MORE omnipotent! However, in the Culture series, I think the Q are more advanced than the still technological Culture, though possibly on par with some of the species that have sublimed.

9. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

^ We might get a bit of a look at this in the latest Culture novel, The Hydrogen Sonata, which I haven't had a chance to read yet, but involves a civilisation in the last few weeks before it Sublimes.

10. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    The celestials from Star Wars, created hyperspace barriers, moved planets and created star systems. Are implied to have transcended the physical plane and guide the "Will of the Force."

The Kwa and the Gree in Star Wars are capable of creating infinity gates as well.

The whole of Galactic civilization in Star Wars Legends as well. Very fast ships, powerful weaponry and a lot of resources at its disposal. Holographic communication across Galactic distances, powerful ships and weaponry.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

30th century humans in Trek are pretty obscenely powerful. Six year olds can send messages back in time with the equipment in their school desk.

12. Vorpal_Blade

Vorpal_Blade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Necron from the Warhammer 40K universe.

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I'd put the Q among the first--then the Ancients. On TNG, there was a group of aliens that could cause the Ent-D crew to choke--despite shields.

They were the only species I saw on the verge of ascending--so who knows what tech they had.

The mecha we saw at the end of A.I. seemed quite advanced--

Kryptoni too-as from the recent films The tech level there was pronounced.

Yorktown station--actually two stations--looks pretty advanced.