Netflix Presents: Orange is the New Black

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by tighr, Jul 12, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only good thing about Mercy was Mulgrew as the mother. That's it. The rest of it was bullshit.

Finished OITNB. I think the title is the kind of thing people like Piper say to make light of trading their clothes, the ones they picked out themselves and paid for with real money from their real life for an orange jumpsuit. It's kind of symbolic because I bet Piper would look back after a week in there and think she was a total idiot saying that and not just because she's now in grey.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

As did I.

Either she'll have her sentence extended or nothing will come of it and whatsherface will leave her alone from now on.

I wonder why we haven't seen the warden yet. Is he so high up the chain that we can't see him? And speaking of Kevin Nealon, I thought about starting Weeds. Didn't get into it the first time. I may have another go.

Definitely.

That makes sense if you're willing to think about it.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I assumed that after a day of filming they said, "this orange looks shit on film, lets try khaki?" But by that point they were already stuck with the name, and couldn't quit it.

"Brown is the new Black"

America is not postracial enough to accept a title like about a skinny white lady.

The meek guard that gets choked, she was the unicorn virgin from "Hello Vodka, it's me Chelsea" which is that sitcom which Laura Prepon was doing last year based on Chelsea Handlar's book.

Casting for this totally feels like a dare at a party which got out of hand.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

A lot of that humor comes out through some of the characters. Caputo is mildly funny in a sleazy sort of way and Mendez acts like he's from a Cops parody or something.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Law enforcement attracts psychopaths with power issues.

Well, that's an extreme, most of the real head cases can't pass the psych evaluation, but just because they can't be the cops they want to be it only winds them tighter.

What draws most normal people to be cops is the speeding.

Imagine putting your foot down, so that you can cruise at 70 all day long, even through school zones.

You're aroused a little right?

6. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not a big fan of flashbacks. The ones in Lost were boring to me as I kept wanting them to end so we could get back to the the "real" world on the island. Lost flashbacks were one of several things that eventually caused me to bail on the show.

But the ones in Orange have all made sense and tell a coherrent story. I am most interested in seeing how Red ended up in prison and what crime she committed. Yeah, it's a comedy/drama. I think the show gets funnier as it goes along. The xmas episode was hysterical.

Watched the conclusion to the first season last night. Quite satisfying. I sure hope whoever posted that the show was picked up for season 2 is correct.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

8. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

You are welcome. :)

10. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

How about... Khaki is the New Black?

No that sucks.

11. teacake

Boy do I agree there. That's the worst part of SG:U too. Very sparing usage of flashbacks might be okay but it seems it's become a standard story telling device. Just like on SG:U all the earth scenes via flashback or the stones take away from the claustrophobic trapped-ness of the characters on that ship the same thing happened with Lost. We're watching Lost because of the island, not endless dribble set in a world we're familiar with. So much more interesting to see characters personalities come out as they interact with the people they're stuck with, rather than being told "this happened to Joe, that's why Joe is a dick".
    And I TOTALLY agree with this too. In Orange the flashbacks tell us stuff we are dying to know.. how did this woman get in here? What did she do? Was she ever okay, is she this fucked up because of..? I think that's a big difference, in SG:U and Lost they are answering questions no one asked. And it distracts from the story we did tune in to see.

I really want to know Big Boo's story. She's one of my favorites. Hopefully we see that in Season 2. We don't know everything about Red's story either. Maybe she got swept away with her husband's bad choices and maybe she snapped and did something.

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just watched what I think is the first "funny" episode of this series, the one with the Chicken. There were so many great moments in this episode, and being a catholic, I loved the joke about the Communion Waffers going well with dip. :guffaw:

This show keeps getting better and better.

13. tomalak301

Piper explaining The Road Less Traveled might be my favorite scene of the series so far. It reminded me so much of Garak explaining a Boy who Cried Wolf in that DS9 episode, Improbable Cause. There were other funny moments, but so far that was funny. :guffaw:

14. tomalak301

You know the problem with Binge watching a show. It can suck you in and you lose all track of time. I ended up watching all 5 final episodes of this first season tonight and oh my... :eek::eek:

Looking forward to season two, but what a way to end that first season.

15. teacake

It was great!!

Fantastic finale.

You know what really stood out to me, was when Big Boo gave Piper the secret santa present and when Piper saw it instead of freaking, dropping it, looking like a deer in headlights like she would have in the very beginning of her incarceration.. she snatched that thing up and shoved it down her bra and it was all cunning and reality. She's changed man :lol:

16. tomalak301

I liked that scene too. In fact, during the Radio interview, I was shocked at how much I heard that interview and cringed because we got to see Prison life from the Prisoner's point of view. Are they still criminals, yes and there is no denying that. The thing is though that they are still human beings and life has to go on. That scene with the screwdriver really does drive home that point, and how much Piper has changed since the beginning of the show.

17. teacake

That's so true tomalek, about the cringing. It's like what we would have listened to as amusing prison anecdotes we can't hear that way anymore because we've been inside with these people. This series has a lot going for it.

18. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

19. Katie O'Clare

Katie O'Clare Lieutenant Red Shirt

Haha me too! Me too! :)

20. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral