DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know, it was great! Except for the part where she's all like "I'VE KNOWN YOU FOR AN HOUR BUT I LIKE YOU I'M GOING TO COME LIVE IN YOUR HOUSE." That's what we call "warning signs."

Not exactly--the Supergirl and the LSH title did survive Waid (I think it was Bedard who was on it for a while), but they went back to the regular LSH title when Supergirl left, and Shooter finished out the volume.

Sort of. Technically, "Justin Thyme," i.e. editors, finished out the volume. And while I'm actually one of the five people on planet Earth that thought Shooter's run on the Threeboot was OK (it had its moments, like when Ultra Boy negged Saturn Girl to drop her bitch shield--seriously, this is basically what happened; and Chamelon Boy fucked a bird), the actual ending was the worst garbage comic this side of... well, Joe Kelley's Supergirl.

Also, in the Threeboot, Brainiac was boning Head Six, as played by Dream Girl's ghost.

Anyway, sure, Supergirl's been in the future a lot. But she never seems to go to the future and stay there. I think the best thing for Supergirl would have been to have her permanently attached to the Legion. Maybe they did this in the 80s? I haven't read those yet. I mean, I know she died, in the present, in 1986, so it couldn't have been too permanent.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Kingdom Come" did imply a version of Supergirl and Superboy stick with the Legion. She was a fixture in the Silver Age I believe with the team which is what I meant about her having a long history with the team. Prior to the relaunch there was an annual of Supergirl where she works with the Legion (I've forgotten how now) the Geoff Johns/Current version "Postboot"??? and hints of the romance with Brainy were made in that issue. Last Stand of New Krypton also dealt with the romance as Brainy couldn't tell her about their future relationship indicating that the Threeboot Kara's time with the Legion didn't happen. Legion history is somewhat complex thanks to all the reboots.

Also the Supergirl who died in 1986 (Crisis in Infinite Earths) was revealed to be Power Girl (Karen Starr) in (Infinite Crisis) that was the latest Geoff Johns retcon.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Whaaaa?

Power Girl never (retconned) died in COIF as Infinite Crisis had her very much alive and early issues had her "remembering" her Earth-Two existence.

You sure about that?

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

^That's a new one on me as well.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

You are wrong. Nowhere did it imply in IC that Power Girl was Supergirl. I suggest you go back and read Infinite Crisis.

6. Admiral_Young

Yep. My mistake. I was confused. It happens when you're sick, yes I'm using this as an excuse :)

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Batman and Robin: Knew Damian was faking. Predictability aside, the issue was pretty good. Wrapping up the flashback was probably the best part.

Green Lantern: Sinestro is pretty much the main character of this book right now, it seems. I'm cool with that, considering how Hal has been written lately. It looks like the lantern books are building up to another mini crossover. Also, awesome that we'll get some info on the Indigo Tribe next month.

8. Admiral_Young

They should just rename the book "Sinestro" or give Thaal his own ongoing.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

They give Atrocious his own book but not Sinestro? :lol:

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

lol. i'd read a Sinestro book.

11. Broccoli

[​IMG]

Yep, that's happening. I guess it worked for Buffy. I'm happy to see the Batgirl creative team back together!

Look! No red undies!

12. Hound of UIster

DC does remember that their last Smallville ongoing comic failed right?

Still it gives Bryan Miller another comic job. Guy is underrated. He should be writing TT or Superboy.

13. Broccoli

This one is different as it continues the story as opposed to the previous one which was trying to play catch up with stories a year or so behind where the show was at. I can see why this one would be more successful. Plus, not helping matters was people asking the question: why pay for a comic when you can watch the show for free?

The last one lasted two years. All things considered, that isn't that bad.

14. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Too broke to buy new comics until tomorrow! I need my Demon Knights!

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I read Green Lantern: New Guardians. I like the idea of a team made up of all the corps.

16. Hound of UIster

I don't think you understand. They are doing the comic clearly in hopes that people who watched the Smallville show will hop over and buy the comic. But given how the Smallville comic failed, I think it's given that the overlap between people who are fans and watch the television show and people who are fans and will buy a Smallville comic are minimal.

17. Broccoli

No, I understand perfectly. What you are not getting is that there were other factors at play when the previous comic was released 9 years ago which lead to it being discontinued after two years that are not present now.

However, this comic is clearly a different beast than the previous one to the point where DC thinks that it will be successful enough to warrant it.

Just because something didn't quite work before doesn't meat it will never work. Just look at how many times Star Trek comics have been cancelled and then started up again.

18. Admiral_Young

I'm kind of disappointed they didn't stick with the novel they were gonna do...but as I said in the other thread I'll pick this up. Happy that Bryan Miller is back writing.

19. Hound of UIster

So instead of a monthly floppy, it's a weekly webcomic? That pretty much means they know it's not going to do well and are only experimenting. Note that Marvel/DC attempts at webcomics have been notably low-key with low volume sales (the Beyond Justice League, movie tie-ins etc)

Thank you for making my point.

20. Admiral_Young

I don't think they're doing this with sales in mind, the first series is eleven issues weekly...they're doing this as a niche project for a very specific fanbase. I think you're making too big a deal about this House of UIster.