The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I can't speak for the US or Canada, but the BBC, Sky 1, and Virgin 1 all showed TNG in 4:3 in the UK - at least for the episodes I caught. I've tried watching a couple of DVD episodes using my TV's zoom facility to crop the picture to 16:9, and the result - while not disastrously bad - required up and down scrolling to keep the action and people's heads framed in view. It also served to hide Jean Luc's shiny, bald pate for some of the time.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they did that, it was probably 4:3 *stretched* to widescreen. I've seen TNT do that with Bones.

3. TrekAlliance92

TrekAlliance92 Captain Captain

An "interesting" twist in the TNG-R saga:

"Sins of the Father" - 13 seconds of the original film elements for this episode have not been located and thus have been upconverted from Standard Definition videotape.[LEFT]
    Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/16190#ixzz1d4gRhcEe
    [/LEFT]

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That's unfortunate, but not a deal breaker. Hopefully those elements are minor or located by the time the season sets are released.

5. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm curious as to what these 13 seconds are - I wonder if it would be possible to let the viewer choose between the upconverted video and the video from another take (or even just another angle hiding the speaker, if any).

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Did anyone notice that several seconds of sound fx are missing from this episode as well? Always were...mainly in the Picard-assasin fight scenes.

RAMA

7. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

That's actually really good news, I think, if they actually have the original film elements of the ship shots and can restore them to the same level of the live action footage. If they can just supplement those with some CGI decor (planets, FX shots, occasional extras), it seems like we'll get the best of both worlds, so to speak, with both physical models and modern production techniques...

That said, I don't see any reason why a slavish adherence to the original FX shots would be necessary. One could still use the same ship shots in different ways or with different decor depending on the needs of the scene. In any case, let's see what they come out with first to get an idea of what we're getting into...

All things considered, though, it would seem that this has the chance to be even more impressive than the TOS remastering project... After all, imagine how much less kvetching would have been made about that project if we'd had equivalent footage of the ship models and FX from that series....

8. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yikes, I'm ok with the 13 seconds here, but I'm concerned that this came up in one of 4 hours worth of samples. If they have issues like this in 25% of the episodes, then I'm not sure how I feel about buying the set.

9. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I’ve noticed that most old 4:3 TV shows look good when cropped to 16:10 (which you can do with VLC), but 16:9 often crops too much.

On a 16:9 screen, a 4:3 image leaves 25% of the screen unused, but a 16:10 image leaves just 10% of it unused. If the black pillars bother you, a 16:10 crop may be a good solution.

10. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Or, looked at another way...

This is 13 seconds out of 183 minutes (10,980 seconds), so that's 0.12%. Here are the running times of each season:

Season 1: 19 hours, 43 minutes
    Season 2: 16 hours, 39 minutes
    Season 3: 19 hours, 40 minutes
    Season 4: 19 hours, 42 minutes
    Season 5: 19 hours, 43 minutes
    Season 6: 19 hours, 37 minutes
    Season 7: 19 hours, 34 minutes

Total: 134 hours, 38 minutes (484,680 seconds)

0.12% of 484,680 seconds is 582 seconds... or 9 minutes, 42 seconds of missing footage over 7 years. :vulcan:

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'd be cool with an alternate take if it was just 13 seconds. It would probably still look better than an upconverted scene.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

They should just refilm it! It'd be totally seamless! :shifty:

13. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Maybe someone somewhere walked off with the original film containing those 13 seconds - maybe the original film is out there in some TNG crew member or fan's hands.

14. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

from
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-The-Next-Level/16190

It does sound like it is legitimate info in a package to retailers but of course CBS DVD and Paramount Home Entertainment know it will get picked up by Trek blogs and forums like this as any news about the upcoming January Blu-ray release.
    I still think either the week after December 25 or at CES in early January we will get the next video trailer.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, they are taking this very seriously. They surely could have reedited that with other footage, couldn't they?

16. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Here's a sequence of screenshots of the 13 seconds missing from the episode:

[​IMG]

17. TrekAlliance92

TrekAlliance92 Captain Captain

Hmm..if that's all--no biggie. What's your source, gaghyogi?

18. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's not a big problem I guess - where did you get the info from, gaghyogi?

19. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

20. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.