The Orion Syndicate

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Bry_Sinclair, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

In DS9 we were introduced to the mysterious Orion Syndicate, which seemed to have its fingers in every shady type of business there was. Surprising we never saw any Orions.

Then in ENT the Syndicate seems to be the name by which the Orion territory/government is known and is, as you'd expect, filled with Orions.

Personally I always thought of the OS as a crime cartel, men and women out doing business of all kinds with many different people. It may have started out as just Orions but over time expanded to include many different species. When I consider the Syndicate, that's how I like to envision it.

Anyone else prefer it as such, or do you like it the other way?

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I do wish the Orions had been developed more, as far back as TOS. All we really knew of them for decades was their women were hot, and the government pretended to be neutral on political matters while plotting covert assassination attempts. The Syndicate might have originated as an official government entity and spread outward.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I liked the concept of Trek having a mysterious mob of it's own. Kinda what the Ferengi should've been if they were done properly.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

QUARK: I want you to get this fuck where he breathes! I want you to find this nancy-boy Ben Sisko, I want him dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burned to the ground! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna piss on his ashes!

;)

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps we did. Way back in FASA's Orion RPG booklets, they postulated three colours - green, tan and grey. The tan Orions' skin tones range from Orange to Caucasian-human.
    Or rather, the Syndicate representative introduced himself as if he represented the people.

I personally see the Syndicate as the criminal organization and the Orion Union (the name used on a star chart graphic in Into Darkness) as the official Orion government.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's like the "Five Families" in the old days of the mafia in New York City, they divided up the city and each had their own territory.

:)

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I really like what ENT did with the Orions, having the slave women really be the masters.

I disagree the Ferengi should have been the mobsters, I think they should have been more like smart amoral businessmen. Like, Mitt Romney types.

But I like the idea of a crime syndicate in the Trek universe.

8. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

You have to be Orion to be a made man. The other species just are lowly soldiers

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The concept of the Triangle was really well thought out. FASA's Mos Eisley, or Mare Inebrium

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone know why we didn't see actual Orions in DS9?

11. R. Star

They were mentioned enough times. Dukat made numerous references to Orion slave girls. The one episode we see the Syndicate on is set on Farius, so it's kinda natural it seems the Farians are taking point there.

As for the Syndicate? Who knows, it might've been started by Orions, but hardly seems limited to... wouldn't be the first misnomer in history.

One, Quark would be after Odo first... two, not every member of the mob are tough guys. For every thug breaking your thumbs, for every gangmaster calling the shots, there are the people who enable the system across the board. Really though, by the time Quark came into things the damage was already done though. This mentality would've had to start in The Battle or the Last Outpost.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh I know it's not limited to Orions. I was just wondering why they didn't want to show us an actual Orion since they had a whole episode about the Syndicate.. it would have been a popular move.

And that's a quote there from Nerys Myk.. :D

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  13. R. Star

I for one loved it when Brunt showed up with a couple of Nausican thugs that one episode to beat on Quark with. ;)