Lost 5x09: "Namaste"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 18, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

38.6%
  2. Above Average

45.7%
  3. Average

15.7%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the update, I really, really don't remember that scene. I must have been in the bathroom or something.

So basically what this means is that Richard Alpert took advantage of psychotic kid to do his murdering for him. Nice.

2. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Not really. You should watch the episode, as it's the whole thing and not just one or two scenes. It sounds like you might have missed an episode. Do you remember Ben's birth? Or his little girlfriend Annie?

It's one of the best eps, IMO...and a personal fave. Especially if you like the Dharma stuff. At that point in time we hadn't seen them operating fully in the 70's until this ep.

3. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Sawyer/Jack moment was a highlight. Sawyer seems less then secure with Jack now back. Loved the end after Sawyer just hammered into Jack and he's expecting Jack to get into it with him and Jack just agrees with him, smiles and walks off.

Personally if they are going to pair people up for the end I prefer Jack-Juliet, Sawyer-Kate combo then the one at the moment. I must say that this season is definitely been rewarding for me and makes me glad I stuck with the show.

Looking forward to the next couple of episodes as it seems everyone is slowly getting back into sync timeframe wise.

4. gh4chiefs

I'm not sure how else to take it. Maybe you can elaborate what you mean? The way I see it is, they had a truce, Richard meets with Ben, figures out the kid "ain't right" and later uses him to wipe out Dharma.

Oh I definitely saw the episode, I remember the birth, Annie, the gassing, etc. Just not the dead mother and Richard Alpert scene.

5. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fuck Sawyer and his self-righteous speech to Jack. Sawyer has had three years, in a safe environment, with cars, doctors, food, water, guns, a security fence, plus a truce with his only enemies, the "hostiles".

When Jack was in charge for 108 days all the while they were being attacked from all sides by the Others with no safe haven, no security fence, little food, water, etc...

Jack did a great job keeping as many people alive as he did, right up until Widmore's people showed up and started killing everyone. And that was also partly Locke's fault because he threw a knife into the girls back and she then sent a warning to the people on the boat that there was trouble.

I like Sawyer, I love how his character has evolved, but he has no right to talk trash to Jack. Jack's the man.

Also, Jack, Kate & the rest risked everything and gave up everything to come back to the Island and save him.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It looks like LaFleur was the main force for keeping the truce. Once he inevitably goes back to the present, I would presume at the end of this season, Dharma will be free to go apescat again and take up arms against the Hostiles, forcing them to wipe them out. Remember, LaFleur was there 74-77 and the Purge doesn't happen until 92. In fact I bet you a shiny penny that the Tempest wasn't constructed until after 77 when LaFleur left.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Here's the Ben/Richard introduction transcript: [Ben hears the whispers, and then turns to see a long-haired Richard Alpert standing behind him] RICHARD: Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Whoa. Whoa, hey, hey, whoa, I didn't mean to scare you. Wait, wait! Are you lost? Wait! BEN: Are you one of them? RICHARD: One of whom? BEN: A hostile. RICHARD: Do you even know what that word means? What's your name? BEN: Ben. RICHARD: Ben? So you wanna tell me what you're doing in the middle of the jungle all by yourself? BEN: I left home, and...I'm looking for my Mom. RICHARD: You think she's out here? BEN: You wouldn't believe me. RICHARD: Try me. BEN: She's dead. RICHARD: Did she die here, on the Island? BEN: No. When I was a baby. RICHARD: Did you see her, out here, Ben, in the jungle? BEN: She talked to me. RICHARD: What did she say? BEN: That I couldn't come with her. She said it wasn't time yet. RICHARD: You should go home now, your people will be looking for you. BEN: I don't want to go back there! I hate it there! Take me with you. RICHARD: Maybe that can happen, maybe. But if that's what you really want, Ben, if that's what you want, I want you to really think about that. And you're gonna have to be very, very patient.

8. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I went with Above Average.

Sawyer feels the same way I do in that Jack caused the deaths of many many people even though he didn't do it maliciously. He did it because of ignorance. And really, other than Ben, who could have known that. But perhaps taking more time to think things out could have led to a different outcome.

Seeing the smoke at the cabin door was cool and I like the team of Frank and Sun. And Frank is just so resigned to fate that he knows he just has to roll with the punches. :lol:

It was cool to see that the plane Ben was on safely landed (except for Wash) because of Ben's people clearing the runway two seasons earlier. It would be interesting to know the how and why about that.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

""It was cool to see that the plane Ben was on safely landed (except for Wash) "" LOL! I didn't think of that until you mentioned it! :D

10. gh4chiefs

I'm thinking Richard Alpert got a heads up "in the past" from somebody on that plane.

11. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Ahh, good thought.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Or it could have been a coincidence and they just thought it was a good idea. But it's a good idea that they established that they were building a runway (and found a point for the first 6 episodes of Season 3 aside from seeing the Others).

13. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I'll put this in spoiler text for those who don't read the spoiler thread...

What if Sun and Frank going back in time causes the incident? Didn't the sky turn a weird colour when the numbers weren't put in that one time? Was it kind of similar to the flashes that the Losties on the island experienced when the donkey wheel was pushed?

14. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Yes, I proposed a theory that Jacob told them to do it, knowing it would be needed.

I don't believe he did, they were all very shocked to learn they were in the 70's.

15. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

My best guess is either they are A) Dead or B) the Hostiles got them

We know they time traveled with Saywer and his group though, they just lost contact with them, so they are in the 70's with em, either dead or with the hostiles.

16. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Looks like a blooper, one of their production crew got in the shot or something, a mistake, it doesn't look like claire to me at all.

Also, what people think is Smokey coming into the room when the door opens, it just looked like fog to me.

17. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

That is my understanding of how Faraday explained it as well, plus that is how it worked with Desmond when Faraday told Desmond to find his mom, he just woke up in the future remembering it as a memory all the sudden.

18. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Richard didn't use Ben, Ben wanted to do it for his own purposes. He had a drunk father and wanted to be with his mother, and sided with the Hostiles, he gassed his own father in the van remember, Richard didn't make him do anything, Ben volunteered to join the Hostiles, he wanted to kill everyone.

19. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another question is: Do you have to kill your own father to become the leader of the Others?

We know Ben killed his father and then went back to Otherville and took charge of the "Hostiles". then when they were wondering if Locke was leader material they wanted him to kill his father, in fact when he wouldn't do it they seemed to loose respect for him and gave up on him. It was only after Locke got Sawyer to kill his (Locke's) father that he was accepted as being the new leader of the Others.

And how does this tie into Jack's father still being around? Will jack have to kill his father?

20. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Well, it would be rather ridiculous for Locke to try to convince them to come back to the Island, without explaining what has happened on the Island since they left. And even if he didn't volunteer that information, one would think they'd all ask him about what was happening there.