Data's station switch

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Sketcher, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Sketcher

Sketcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what were the in-universe and real reasons for the ops and helm stations being switched around after Encounter at Farpoint?

2. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    This isn't a complete answer, but in terms of an in-universe explanation, it's likely that the two forward stations are interchangeable anyway due to the completely touch-based LCARS interface. We've already seen that the far-back stations are modular like that, since they can each individually be set for different departments. It makes sense that either forward station could be helm or ops depending on the preference of whoever is in command.

Picard perhaps realized that he preferred it the other way, for whatever OCD reason. ;)

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well it's only proper that the driver is on the left side. :p

4. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    Right, and Picard is European! It all makes sense. :D

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm sure you mean "right side" since that's where the Helm station is and where it driver's seat is on European cars. ;)

Anyway, I don't think there's any "in-universe" explanation and there may not even be a decent "out-of-universe" explanation either. The closest I can think of is that it was different from TOS which is what they were going for in TNG's early season? To be as un-TOS as possible?

It's meaningless anyway, the idea is that the consoles on the ship are interchangeable, if Picard wanted his helmsman to stand in the horseshoe railing and the weapons officer at one of the aft stations he could have it set it up that way.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

From a production point of view, putting Data on the port side of the bridge, put him on the same side as the two turbo lifts, and the door to the ready room. After the first season the helm was largely occupied by a dialog-less extra (and Wesley), who sat next to the unused door to the emergency turbo lift.

In terms of camera angles, moving Data made a lot of sense.

:)

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Very true.

8. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps LaForge was left handed? He asked for the displays to be swapped after he came on board from Farpoint.

9. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

The episode "Ship in a Bottle" shows that Geordi was right handed.

10. MikeS

In my head, I like to imagine that the two weeks it took for your response were spent busily sifting through all available material in order to prove/disprove my outlandish theory. :lol:

Teh Cannonz!

11. Xhiandra

Xhiandra Captain Captain

No, just UK cars. Even then, not sure about Northern Ireland, they might drive on the right as well to align with Ireland.

12. MikeS

13. DrBeverly

DrBeverly Lieutenant Red Shirt

There are several episodes of S1 TNG that feature Data (at his usual left-hand-side ops panel) being ordered to set a course, so it's indeed likely that the systems are interchangeable, and that many operations can be performed from multiple panels.

Similarly, I'm sure communications and weapons etc have occasionally been handled from different panels to the tactical position.