Kirk's Television Enterprise Deck Plans WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Robert Comsol, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

And also in Mudd´s Women. But I hope we can agree, that this is only due to budget contraints on the show ... ?

True. But not all 1-person-cabins would have to be as big as those of the senior officers. Garrovick´s could really be just the "half" we see, with an unseen bathroom to complete it.

That of course remains to be seen, so far one can only speculate. Still, I already wanted to convey my thoughts on the matter.

I have also put some more thought into the 22 person transporter. You said, that accoording to TMoST it involves some risk when used. Before I thought, this might be a good explanation as to why we never got to see it. But now I´m really having problems with that and for these reasons:

1) Why would a 22 person transporter be less safe than a 6 person one? You / TMoST hinted at pattern loss. So maybe there´s not enough memory space or similar problems. If this is the case then:

2) Would Starfleet really implement such a system into its starships that potentially endangers the crew? Why not size it down to the point, where they´re safe again? Why not rather use two (safe) 12 person units than one (unsafe) 22 person one? Or stick with the (proven) 6 person transporter, just in larger numbers.

3) The only time when you´d actually be using these emergency transporters would be ... well, during an emergency. Meaning during a catastrophic event, with possibly chaotic conditions aboard. So the crew will be under a lot of stress, even anxiety or mild panic might be present - training and simulations can´t prepare them for everything. And in this situation, would you really ask the crew to step into this big transporter, that they have a) never used before and that is b) potentially dangerous, thus heightening their anxiety/panic? Or would you not rather have them use a facility that they´re familiar with and know is safe?

Interested in your thoughts.

Mario

2. BorgusFrat

BorgusFrat Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is a really cool point!:bolian:

Yes, if you do it this way the crew person would still have their own private space (even if they had to have a "shared' bathroom) and more important it's a way to not necessarily have to have the "isolation rooms" that FJ came up with-- or at least not as many of them would be necessary. I really like this idea. The bed, wardrobe and maybe a "hidden" desk or something like that to do a few personal desk-type things (maybe it'd be a flip-down? Or slide-out? Or maybe it's even hidden in the wardrobe and could be a portion, or half, of the wardrobe cylinder itself!!!).

Plus, with the kind of technology the Federation has you could say that the walls of every cabin are virtually "soundproof", even if it's not because of higher-tech in the building materials but even because of "sound dampener fields" or something else like that. This would make the cabins truly "private".

This sounds really neat and is sensable because it avoids the "bunk bed ' approach which would be probably unbearable on a 5 year deep space mission-- and it makes the fact that there's wide hallways/ corridors on these ships more acceptable, because at least it makes it look like the designers at Star Fleet are thinking of both the people working on and crewing the ships AND the fact that they need "private time & space", as well as the TV reality that they couldn't make the corridors any narrower in real life. (Plus it makes sense to say the corridor widths are just yet another thing that's done to give the crews more 'sanity' and sense of space on such long missions!).

Excellent idea. I hope you use it, Mr. Comsol.

Peace all.

3. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While we never see the other half of Garrovick's cabin, we see enough to know that the space was there (complete with rotating wardrobe and door out into the corridor). The mesh divider does not seal off Garrovick's side in any way, shape or form - which is a shame really, as all it would take is a wild wall panel to plug the gap!

Maybe there is an additional (unseen) bed in the area behind the mesh, but I know that if I was forced to share a bedroom with someone else for any length of time, I would prefer to have some of that space set up where I could sit and work/read/relax etc. A bunk bed would free up some of the room nicely.
    Maybe Garrovick and his roommate just couldn't agree on who got the bottom bunk, and this was their solution? ;)

4. Mario de Monti

@ BorgusFrat

Thanks for supporting this idea. To me the privacy aspect was always very important, especially on such long and complex missions.

@ Mytran

You´re right, we see there´s something there ... just not what! Production-wise we know of course it´s the other half of the cabin set, but that must not be true in-universe. This could just be where the bathroom I suggested is located (the mesh doesn´t have to be "see-through" in this case). At least I hope this is possible, I didn´t watch the episode again and am relying on your screencap for now :)

Mario

5. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Many interesting thoughts to digest, thank you gentlemen!

@ BorgusFrat
    I concur, the width and height of the main corridor suggests that Starfleet's Engineering Corps considered the psychological need for space.
    The outer corridor on Deck 5 ("Journey to Babel") is equally wide as the inner main corridor ("rank hath ist privileges"?) but I wonder whether the corridor width should stay the same as we proceed to the outer areas. Further out, the radius of the circular corridors will allow ship's personnel to see farther down these corridors (= more "space") and theoretically could be narrower.

@ Mytran
    I really like the idea of a higher "bunk bed" in the other half of Cabin 341 with a working desk below it (except it will not show in a 2D blueprint representation :scream:).

Two such bunk beds in the standard cabin would be claustrophobic, thus the empty space above Garrovick's bed provides pyschological space for two occupants of such a cabin. Great idea!
    While Garrovick doesn't have to climb into his bed, he needs to go to his roommate's half and the roating closet to get to his stuff. I also have little doubt that 23rd technology would allow for some efficient sort of (visual and audio) separation of the two halfs should the two occupants desire it.

This would also explain the stupid (can't really put that nicely, sorry) concept of having one small cabin with two doors to access it, with the bedroom one being obviously redundant.

But if we are looking at some kind of standard cabin module, mostly in use by more than one occupant, the doors would make some sense and obviously have a name sign ("...Garrovick Ensign" left) and door ringer each. Let's say Ensign Garrovick is on duty but his roommate Ensign Ricky is at the working desk. Someone rings for Garrovick. No reply, Garrovick is gone and Ensign Ricky occupied with something else and doesn't have to interrupt his studies or whatever else he is doing to come to the door unless someone is outside "his" door.

@ Mario de Monti
    If there was a bathroom adjacent to the standard cabin it should be the side door in the half that's usually occupied by Kirk's bed. In "The Corbomite Maneuver" cut scene - as Mytran had pointed out and which I didn't pay proper attention to - it was just an extra wall closet for Kirk's uniforms (we can catch a bare glimpse of it open in the background when he leaves his cabin) but episodes like "Mirror, Mirror" and especially "Elaan of Troyius" suggested it to be a bathroom, IMHO.

Kirk said to Elaan that Uhura's cabin was the best they had on board and I've taken this as a hint that Uhura's is probably among the few (if not only one) that has a bathtub and not just a (sonic?) shower.
    In general (and in particular for the Season Two ones, where the corridor displaces the possibility of a bathroom, e.g. "Amok Time", "Journey to Babel"), I wonder if even the senior officers have to go for public bathrooms and showers as long as they reside in such cabins. As a spartanic Vulcan Spock might not really need a cabin with a bathroom, in the case of Kirk's cabin in "Journey to Babel" I believe this was a temporary choice and that he had given his normal one up on behalf on an ambassador who insisted on a cabin with an adjacent bathroom for the duration of their mission.

If a bare-chested captain in blue slippers is no out of the ordinary sight aboard the ship, I'd expect other personnel to be equally undressed coming from or going to a "public" shower.

Bob

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  6. Mario de Monti

That makes sense. I had not paid attention to the locations of the door ringers before. Guess I must start watching the episodes on a frame-by-frame basis ;)

I concur. But just because the bathroom is located there in the senior officers quarters it doesn´t necessarily mean it has to be there in the crew quarters as well. And if you´d consider two cabins sharing a bathroom located between them, then in one cabin the bathroom would be on one side, in the other cabin on the other side.

I have to stress this again, I´m afraid: I really, REALLY don´t like the idea of shared cabins or shared bedrooms. I mean they are all young, healthy adults. There´s gonna be plenty of romance, intimacy and sex aboard - what else is there to do on board anyway, if you´re not into botany or chess? :devil: Would you (or Starfleet for that matter) really ask your crew members to quarrel over "bedroom time" with your roommate like present day college students? They are all grown-ups who have certain standards and expectations as to their living conditions and I´m sure that being able to be alone in their bedroom whenever they want to is among those.

Seriously, never noted the blue slippers before :guffaw:

But I don´t think Kirk qualifies as proof in this matter: we know how gladly he takes off his shirt in front of everyone ... anyone :lol:
    The crew´s just gotten used to this sight.

Mario

7. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bunk bed and desk - something like this? An interesting idea (in a suitably TOSified design of course) and solves the problem of both a work area and a roommate (plus an explanation of the extraneous door)

An open bathroom & closet room is a good option - the (opaque) mesh could be the edge of a sliding door that closes off for privacy.

However, I am much more spartan in my view of Enterprise living conditions and see no reason why everyone should get a personal bathroom, or even their own room. Yes they'd have to do the 23rd century equivalent of hanging a tie on the doorhandle when having a "friend" over and as Mario_de_Monti said this is a lot like a college student - but time and again (especially in Season 1) we see the male crewmembers acting like college students, so what's the problem?

The idea of everyone having their own room is lovely, but the biggest obstacle IMO is that its already been done - by Franz Joseph. Following Roddenberry's instructions in "The Making of Star Trek", FJ allocated a single bed to each of the 430 crewmembers (those sharing still had two rooms, so the ratio of each person having their own room still applies) The result: is deck after deck of bedrooms. Now, this is not a slight against FJ and I do not wish to derail the thread, but the fact remains that giving each crewmember their own private bedroom eats up a huge percentage of the Enterprise's interior volume, with very little space left for work areas and machinery.
    Hence: cram them in, I say!!! :lol:

I don't know if I ever mentioned any of them before, but I've come up with very similar theories as Robert_Comsol with regards to Uhura's cabin being one of the few with a bathroom, public washrooms being the norm (as per Kirk's stroll) and even corridors having different widths throughout the ship. As I mentioned above, I think my interpretation of wash areas is a little stricter, but in parts of the ship solely devoted to accomodation (or just low foot traffic) why would corridors need to be wider than 4 feet?

8. Robert Comsol

Looks like the crew cabins is a delicate subject and apparently needs to be resolved before my friend Andy is confronted with the task of accomodating all the cabins in the final CAD blueprints.

For the introduction to his movie Enterprise thread, Donny made a statement I absolutely agree and think it's equally appliable to Kirk's TV Enterprise: "I'm drawing both from TMP and TWOK as far as detailing goes, mixing and matching various elements. I want to balance the clean feel of TMP with the functional militaristic feel of TWOK. Less hotel, less submarine, more starship."

From what I read at the BBS there are fans that apparently advocate the submarine approach while Mario de Monti seems to rather advocate the hotel approach. If I were forced to make one choice I'd go with the hotel approach.

But then again, this project is not about what I like things to be but to represent the ship as seen onscreen and as close as possible to what Matt Jefferies and the producers intended it to be. For me it always comes down to the question "Would Matt have approved?" and I hope and pray I'm doing something he would have liked - and approved...:rolleyes:

Unfortunately he no longer walks the Earth to be consulted (same for Bobby Justman and of course Gene Roddenberry), therefore we have to rely on source materials like The Making of Star Trek: "Junior officers are assigned similar accomodations, but usually are required to share them with one other fellow officer."

And considering the influence of the Hornblower novels I believe that the bulk of the crew sleeps on the B(erth) Deck and not the H(otel) Deck (sorry, couldn't resist a little pun).

While I feel that Nicholas Meyer went into "Hornblower Overdrive" in ST VI and especially the "bunk bed brawl" aboard Excelsior at the beginning of he film, I think it's pretty clear that the idea of "sharing" a cabin had been among the first premises of the series.

And the outside of Garrovick's cabin in "Obsession" suggests nothing to the contrary (notice that the camera angle inside Cabin 341 avoids to show us the other half of the cabin. The cabin set only had one bed and one desk. Had the producers wanted to provide Garrovick with an officer's cabin, they probably would have shown more of his cabin...and inevitably a desk).

But I sympathize with the need for privacy and sexual interaction (yet feel the standard cabin's dull interior not to really be an invitation for such interaction). Since this is not the Enterprise-D with families aboard, I'd presume sexual interaction wouldn't mean "reproduction" but constitute an activity that comes under the heading of "recreation"?

On Deck 8 we do have the R(ecreation) Deck which contains "a rather exotic entertainment center". (or did Whitfield censor Roddenberry's "erotic" by transforming it into "exotic"?:p).

I can imagine rooms there which do serve the aforementioned purpose and obviously a walk straight from the herbarium to one of these rooms might yield a much more rewarding experience than passing the busy and/or dull corridors on the way to a cabin which would possibly rather be a mood killer, IMHO. Thoughts?

@ Mytran

Can't shake the suspicion you do have a full archive of analogies what the interior of the ship should be like. First the "endless pool" and now a bunk bed with a desk to instantly illustrate the essential idea (TOSified it would have to be, indeed). ;)

I do believe when we're dealing with deck plans there's always an elephant in the room named Franz, so I have no problems with that. On the contrary, as you just mentioned, he illustrated accomodations for 430 people and this gives us a good idea how much space we do, could or should have for accomodation.

But as you said, toilets and showers could or should be shared where possible and appropriate to free up space we may need for mechanical components of the ship.

Bob

9. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Removed unnecessary comment

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  10. Mario de Monti

These are all good and valid points, against which I could just go on yelling "psychology, psychology!!" :devil:

But I hope we can agree, that the visual and "circumstantial" evidence can be interpreted either way. So I suggest postponing this topic until Bob has finished fitting in all the interiors from all the episodes and can determine how much space there is left. If it should turn out, that there isn´t enough room to give everyone on board their own (albeit small) cabin, than this discussion is moot anyway! And if it turns out, that there would be enough room ... well, then we´ll just put on the gloves :D

PS:
    @ Mytran: Love the bunk bed/desk idea :techman:

11. Robert Comsol

Could the "Life Sciences Department Botanical Section (LSDBS)" opposite Uhura's cabin been the inspiration for that? If there is one thing that is for certain it's that (most) plants in the botanical section require water and a cabin with a bathtub would make sense in the vicinity, wouldn't it? :)

I wrote earlier that the width of Deck 8 would be too narrow to accomodate Uhura's cabin, but I'm having second thoughts. According to the scale of the deck plan drafts the floor would end at the cabin's back wall at a radius of 68mm.

According to the cutaway I posted there's only 64 mm from the saucer's center to the stern outer hull of Deck 8, but 68 mm from the center measured towards the bow. I need to ask my friend Andy about this asymetry and which one is right and which one wrong.

Look like the turbo lift of Uhura's corridor on Deck 8 would be close to the 5 o'clock position on Deck 6 and we could have a connection from the LSDBS opposite her cabin to the LSDBS seen in "The Man Trap" on Deck 8 - hopefully!

Bob

12. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ever since I saw "The Undiscovered Country" I didn't mind thinking that on the TOS ship the briefing room sized cabins had bunk beds for 4-6 enlisted crew. The junior officers like Garrovick may or may not have shared cabins while senior officers got their own. Lucky ones got their own bathroom. But that's just IMHO.

13. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Yes, TUC establishes there are bunkrooms. And the Voyager episode "Flashback" runs with this, showing a bunkroom aboard the Excelsior which downright looks like a barracks.

I understand you're only using TOS to the exclusion of all other references, but I think that it would make sense to have bunk rooms for short-term enlisted crew. After all, it seems like the Enterprise is always exchanging crew. Perhaps some of the lower ranks get rotated fairly frequently, so they only carry about a dufflebag's worth of personal effects and expect to share a bunkroom with x-number of fellow crew? If they're only aboard for six weeks then this seems perfectly easy. I'm not suggesting hotbunking, but several crewman to a bunk room is hardly without precedent.

--Alex

14. Robert Comsol

I consulted my friend Andy and he admitted to an error in his side view CAD drawing I used as the basis for the cutaway and a reference point. The radius on Deck 8 is 68 mm, so it looks like Uhura will be getting her cabin there, finally. :)

I had also considered the idea of drafting a crew cabin within the briefing room set, although I'm not so sure, now. If I'm able to accomodate 90% of the corridor footage into the main corridor, then those ("briefing") rooms we see may have practical functions for the adjacent work sections.

In the vast and unseen area of Deck 6 we could have cabin stacked against cabin (as my Deck 6 "experiment" suggested) for crew accomodation.

I finished the "paperwork" of Deck 7, now have to clean it up, adjust the text comment to some (hopefully good) last minute changes and have it probably here for evaluation by Sunday. Stay tuned.

Bob

15. kennysmith

kennysmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

why did they take this one out?, i would like to here his point of view.

16. throwback

For myself, I don't understand some of the door signs. What is Computer Statistics? I was reading through some of the thread, and someone mentioned "Personnel Records" appearing in "The Mark of Gideon". It actually appeared earlier, in "Is There In Truth No Beauty?"

This room, Personnel Records, was located on the same deck as Dr. Miranda Jones and the Medusan ambassador's quarters. Located near the turbolift, there was a room that was used for "Micro-Film Reference".

What is the significance for having differently numbered turbolifts? I have seen signs for Turbolift 2 and Turbolift 7. (In its first year, TNG did a similar practice, before dropping it permanently starting with the second season.)

17. Robert Comsol

Like those you mentioned there are a couple of door signs that repeatedly show up in all kinds of different places. Where these were readable I feature them in the draft. "Popular" ones are "Computer Statistics", "Electrographic Analysis" and "Personnel Records" (another one of these featured in "The Naked Time" coming up on Deck 7...;)).

I must have missed this one. And it's actually discernible as "Micro-Film Reference"?

I'd like to know that myself. First I thought it could mean "2" or up to "7" stops within the turbo shaft, but I have not examined it further whether this theory could hold water or not. In "Charlie X" near the galley we once had a "turbo lift 3" but I think it was the first and last appearance.

Bob

18. QuinnTV

QuinnTV Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I always thought the numbers were for individual turbolift stations/stops on a given deck. However, remember this bit from Scotty in ST:V:
    Perhaps the number is what shaft, or main route, that set of doors is connected to.

19. throwback

For "Micro-Film Reference", it's readable. It's the room to the left of the turbolift.

I was watching "The Man Trap", and I noticed a new sign. When we see the A-Frame, on the wall beyond this frame, there is a white directional sign with black lettering for "Officers Quarters", and it indicates that the quarters are to the right of the A-Frame. Trekcore doesn't have a screen cap of this A-Frame and the sign.

20. Robert Comsol

Here is the draft for Deck 7 before I take a summer break from the project (and hope that in the meantime someone will calculate the approximate dimensions of the arboretum / herbarium many of us assume to be on Deck 8).

[​IMG]

Main Deck 7 (130629) – FINAL DRAFT

I wrote earlier that the port side of Deck 7 is the only area where we can know what this area looks like, based on the Season One studio set plan and the footage from “the Naked Time”, revealing the whole length of this corridor in two camera shots (notice that next to the Engineering Control Room there was no turbo lift door in “The Naked Time” which explains why Kirk and Spock had to come to the ECR from the opposite side of the corridor!).

Various Items

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to provide a better explanation for the odd bulb in the Season One corridor (possibly a compromise they had to accept when building the news sets around the sickbay bedroom first featured in WNM.
    Beginning with Season Two they straightened the sickbay bedroom walls and thus were able to eliminate the corridor bulb), other than to use its odd angle to imagine a turbo lift car maintenance station and magazine that provides additional turbo lift cars when necessary at 12 o’clock (other turbo lift cars could be on Deck 6 next to the transporter room to be injected into the turbo shaft network when required).

According to The Making of Star Trek “all” of the medical laboratories are located on Deck 7 and Kirk mentioned in “Operation Annihilate!” a total number of 14 laboratories of the medical and life sciences department.
    The possible locations for these labs are hinted in the blank areas by “lab” and together with the Biochemistry and Radiology Lab I put on Deck 6 we should have those 14 and therefore be able to put Deck 8 to better uses. Regarding what those labs should look like I don’t have good ideas at the moment (“Damn it, I’m a deck plan assembler, not a doctor!”). :p

At 9 o’clock we have the turbo lift seen in “The Way to Eden” and hinted in “Is There in Truth No Beauty”. There is no turbo lift straight across / vis-à-vis the exam room door, thus it can’t be the Season Two sickbay set illustrated at the bow (although I believe there had been the main door to the impulse engine room seen here in “The Doomsday Machine”).

Notice that in “Is There in Truth No Beauty” Spock apparently walked the corridor to arrive at Medical Ward 2 and McCoy’s redecorated (Season Three) office. Had this been the office in Medical Ward 4, he could have just walked across the room, but he didn’t. I therefore assume that Medical Ward 4 on Deck 7 actually accommodates Dr. M’Benga’s (never seen) own office.

Another thing worth noticing in this episode is that it’s missing the second bed! You may remember that I had already mentioned that I presume that these sickbay beds can be covered up and thus be transformed into coffins. Writing this comment I realized that there had been one fatality in this episode – Lawrence Marvick!

Apparently his body had been placed into the sickbay bed / coffin, had been lifted up by antigrav units and waited for transportation to the morgue. This would also explain the strange shadow we see on the exam room wall the moment Kirk leaves Dr. Jones and Spock.
    Fracking amazing how clever and subtle the producers and directors suggested such little things, which also is a testimony how much they did care about such details, IMHO (and quite a reward considering all the work I’ve thus far invested into these deck plans. The little details I unexpectedly discover really keep me fascinated and motivated). :)

For the record I’d like to state, that when I started accommodating the medical wards on the various decks, I really hadn’t planned that we’d see on Deck 7 the medical ward from Season One (port), the one from Season Two (bow) and the one from Season Three (starboard) and thus keep all their various, individual “season details”. This is either a coincidence or the result of a “helping hand”.

I’d also like to add that the sickbay beds facing the inner (computer) core were a last minute addition I almost overlooked (although I had already experimented with the idea in the engineering hull but had forgotten). :rolleyes:

In a broader sense the medical wards on this deck all have characteristics of intensive care areas. Somewhat dislocated from the busy decks above this is the perfect deck to treat critical injuries and perform complicated operations. And if a patient dies...the morgue and the ship’s chapel are in close proximity at 6 and 5 o’clock. It’s probably not a morale booster for the crew moving a coffin around on the more busy decks.

As for Kirk’s exit from the chapel in “Balance of Terror” (refer to post # 163) I believe he used a stairway up and popped out of the yellow door on Deck 6 (which still needs to be illustrated / altered on the Deck 6 draft).
    While I believe Dr. McCoy took a shortcut though the morgue when he left the chapel in “Balance of Terror” the exit path of Kirk (and Spock and McCoy in “The Tholian Web”) merits an explanation: The room (6 o’clock) is obviously a redress of the briefing room set and as such the exit paths through the side door (there is no main door in the chapel!) would usually recommend a turn to the right to reach the main corridor (shortest access to the nearest turbo lift straight to the upper decks).

Apparently, something blocks that passage and “The Way to Eden” provides the explanation, IMO. Chekov and Irina needed some privacy and went inside the multi-purpose room which seems to be some kind of waiting area and/or meditation room (considering the mattress on the floor).
    With the chapel next door, such a “silent” and/or preparation room would be a practical consideration and explains the onscreen detours via the turbo lift at 6 o’clock or the adjacent stairway. This waiting room also provides some privacy for the chapel as it separates the chapel from the intensive care corridors.

Thus I like the deliberate or coincidental symbolism in “The Way to Eden” scene where Chekov and Irina are facing each other, but are not facing the waiting room exit door together (those two are obviously not getting married although they appear to be a good match, sad).

In case of a funeral the sickbay “coffin” is moved in from the morgue (4 sickbay bed “coffins” on ground floor illustrated), after the ceremony the coffin is lowered 6’ down to Deck 8 from where it is either ejected through the starboard “inspection door” (or alternately the yellow airlock hatch on Deck 9).

The morgue (4.30 o’clock) is “sandwiched” between two turbo shafts that access to the main horizontal shaft above. The outer one looks a little odd but can’t be on Deck 6 because of the transporter chambers’ bulge.
    Essentially these outer elevators at 4 and 12 o’clock serve as medical transport elevators to carry injured landing party personnel, after first aid assistance on Deck 6 in the emergency rooms, to the most suited medical ward on either Deck 5 or 7 (hence the blue “exit only” color seen in “The Naked Time” on Decks 5 and 7).

The deck plan draft also illustrates that the ship should be at least 1,080’ long, because otherwise these elevators would stick out of the hull on Deck 7!

Between 2 and 5 o’clock we see Medical Ward 2 as featured during Season Two and containing Dr. McCoy’s office. The corridor outside was only revealed in “The Deadly Years” and featured the “odd” corridor between the cabin and the briefing room set. To prevent showing a “ship full of corridors” I presume this corridor (3 o’clock) to have a stairway leading up to Deck 6 (similar to the ones on Deck 5 and 6), which I think is the only good excuse for this kind of Season Two “oddity”.
    Judging by the red turbo lift vis-à-vis the exam room this was the medical ward we saw in “Journey to Babel”, “The Immunity Syndrome” and “The Ultimate Computer”.

An interesting variation of the third bed, introduced in “Journey to Babel”, occurred in “Return to Tomorrow” where the bed was aligned with the glass cabinet wall, but also featured further inwards!
    Although admittedly on the odd side, I presume this bed to be attached to the door of a medical safe which contains toxic supplies and thus access is only possible under supervision of the head doctor and by swinging the wall open (you can’t just sneak into sickbay and grab some drugs). Better rationalizations are welcome unless we can dismiss this as a production glitch or oddity not to be taken too seriously.

As for what’s inside the (“briefing”) room opposite the doctor’s office (between 3 and 4 o’clock) I have to assume it’s the extension of the environmental engineering pipes from the room above on Deck 6 which do make a 90° turn here and connect to the outer, inhospitable rim of the inner Deck 7.
    This would probably make the room not usable for purposes other than storage and given its vicinity to the morgue I’d think this would be an appropriate place for cryogenic (medical) supplies.

On the port side we see the Medical Ward 1 from Season One. I left the inner cabin set from Season One to compensate for the loss of the regular cabin set across the corridor, so that the night nurse of this medical ward has a place to stay and – if possible – sleep, too.

My major motivation to equip each medical ward with 5-6 beds results from the concern that an entire landing party might suffer specific injuries of the same kind, thus it’s easier to treat such injuries in one specialized medical ward, rather than to scatter the patients around the medical complex between Decks 5 through 7.

Saucer Engine Room(s)

When I saw the actual Season One studio set plan for the first time, I marveled at the foresighted genius of Matt Jefferies who left enough space between the saucer engine rooms to allow turbo shift passage between the saucer and the engineering hull without the necessity of rationalizing turbo lift detours around these sections.
    Yes, I have no evidence for this assumption but looking at the Season One studio set plan (preserved as part of the draft) and the otherwise odd angle of the ECR I dare to say that the design logic is rather obvious, simple, and efficient.

Despite the turbo lift passage possibility (not required for warp engine rooms) there are additional strong hints that the Season One engine room design had always been intended to be a location in the saucer hull:

• “Where No Man Has Gone Before” (WNM) only referenced an “impulse deck” but not a “star-drive deck” or section.
    • The Making of Star Trek suggests the engine room to be at the stern of the saucer but made no reference whatsoever to an engine room in the engineering hull (IMHO a concept that was born with Season Two and the ability to convert the Season One impulse engine room set into the new and larger warp drive engine room set)
    • In “Court-Martial” Uhura reported Finney’s sabotage of the impulse engines on the “B(erth) Deck” and accordingly Kirk tried to find Finney somewhere in the port side impulse engine room
    • As a rule of thumb the large GNDN props do represent an impulse engine room when they are standing cheek-to-cheek, but a warp drive engine room when they face each other vis-à-vis (apparently this rule came into effect when they redressed the impulse engine room as the warp drive engine room in “The Conscience of the King” with many noticeable changes and before the impulse engine room returned to its almost original appearance in “Court-Martial” – “almost” because the Enterprise’s engine room got a little upgrade at Starbase 11 / kept a souvenir from “The Conscience of the King” redress effort…)
    • Events in “Space Seed” appear to be happening in the saucer, judging by the speed the characters move between Sickbay, Briefing Room 2 and the engine room. It stands to reason the engine room seen in “Space Seed” was in the saucer, too.
    In “The Naked Time” Scotty made a ship wide call addressing other “engine rooms” from the Engineering Control Room, thus there were at least two more.
    Interestingly the Star Trek Sketchbook refers to the Season Two Emergency Manual Monitor as “Secondary Engineering Control Room” which would make the Season One Engineering Control Room the primary one (or just for the corresponding hull of the ship), but first and foremost a master control room and not necessarily the (only) one devoted exclusively to the impulse engines.

Apparently, the first distinction between the impulse engine room and the warp drive engine room occurred at the warp engine room’s first appearance - aboard the starship Constellation. Scotty and repair crew descended into the Constellation’s warp engine room (there’s no space to descend to the upper level of this set in the saucer!) where Scotty went to a wall cabinet, grabbed the trident engineering tool – and left the room to fix the impulse engines elsewhere.
    The next time we see him use this tool, the soccer ball - we previously saw on top of the warp engine’s dilithium crystal converter assembly casing – is gone! That could suggest he is repairing the (starboard) impulse engines from within the impulse engine room of the Constellation, and possibly this configuration is similar aboard the Enterprise.

What’s the dilithium crystal casing doing in the starboard impulse engine room? In addition to my theories presented in this thread, I believe the (last) dilithium crystal seen in “Mudd’s Women” is usually integrated in this casing (in contrast the warp drive room uses the crystal paddles) and amplifies the energy output of the “batteries” / fusion reactors (the large GNDN standing around in the engine rooms) into the “main energizers”, mentioned to be on Deck 7 in “The Doomsday Machine”, which I now do believe is the proper term for what we usually refer to as the “cathedral” behind the grated window of each engine room.

I can’t help the feeling that the producers of the Animated Series (TAS) - consultant Gene Roddenberry - had this notion when they made the cels for their engine room. The position of the GNDN fusion reactors suggests “saucer” and it does have the aforementioned dilithium crystal casing. I assume the pipe we see protruding from it usually goes straight up to power the transporter room on Deck 6 above (and should rather look like the one from “The Enemy Within”).
    And the most important thing: The ceiling height is much, much lower than the ceiling height of the ECR, thus it could be possible to have a transporter room above on Deck 6 (as illustrated in the previous draft) which on the other hand is impossible with the TOS studio set of the Engineering Control Room (ECR).

Admittedly, in TAS this engine room often has qualities of the ECR, but obviously it can’t either be the TOS Season Two warp engine room (no upper level, ceiling height, position of GNDN reactors) or the Season One Engineering Control Room (no dilithium crystal floor casing, ceiling height) and thus presents itself to be the perfect candidate for the starboard impulse engine room.

Amount of Medical Wards

In the meantime, I noticed dissent about having that many medical wards (Decks 5 through 7) considering these are only referenced as “Sickbay” and no specifications are provided (and, of course, unlike the transporter rooms, it’s highly unlikely that medical wards are shut down for maintenance…).

However, we do know that there at least 4 medical wards aboard the ship which must have already existed during WNM, judging by the “astro-medicine ward 4” door sign (which had, admittedly, way too many comebacks during the run of the series up from the first until the very last episode!).

For these deck plans and because of my dislike for “reconstruction rationalizations” my reasoning to have that many is the amount of noticeable differences in the Season One set (medical monitor over exam bed or not) and the noticeable differences of the “multi-purpose room” interior seen in “Wink of an Eye” versus “The Way to Eden” versus “Turnabout Intruder” plus the different interior sickbay layout suggested by “Amok Time” and “The Lights of Zetar”.

I also believe the concept of just having one sickbay and one operating / examination table for 430 people on a starship which – unlike our aircraft carriers and cruise ships – operates “where no man has gone before” (except colonies and outposts the Enterprise frequently visits in TOS) to be unrealistic and impractical:

• Captain Pike only had to take care of 203 crew members and I believe Medical Wards 1, 2 and 3 could have been sufficient to take care of the crew and injured crew members (returning from away missions!)
    • By the time Kirk had command of the Enterprise the crew complement had been boosted to 430 crew members (more than double) and accordingly the whole Medical Ward 4 complex had been probably added to compensate for the larger crew and its needs on several decks
    • In episodes like “Arena” and “The Galileo Seven” we witnessed the return of injured crew members and/or outpost residents that required immediate care. Lt. Kelowitz returned from Taurus II with two injured landing party members and a body (and had been injured himself), and this was just landing party # 2. Therefore, the ship has to have enough facilities to take care of all injured members of one or several landing parties - and just one medical ward wouldn’t do the job (I have a vision of a redshirt crewman moaning that with only one ward and him being the lowest rank he surely is going to die). This is not a sailing vessel of her majesty King George III. with only one sickbay, one surgeon and walls painted in red (to make the patients’ splattered blood “invisible”) from the 18th Century but a Starship of the 23Rd Century whose medical facilities I’d expect to be capable of handling all injured landing party members simultaneously
    • The Enterprise provides medical checks and assistance to remote colonies and settlements as we’ve seen or heard in TOS. Just recently I saw an interesting program about a non-military hospital ship in Russia, the Nicolai Pirogow that travels down the rivers once every two years, and acts as a hospital for the outermost and remote regions of Russia. The analogy to the Enterprise couldn’t be a better one, IMHO, and while the Enterprise is not a hospital ship first and foremost, it definitely has to act as one if the need arises and therefore has to have sufficient medical facilities to be prepared for the worst, IMHO.
    Of course, since Medical Ward 1 has now “moved” to Deck 7 (previously Deck 5), Deck 5 would now have the Medical Ward 4 seen in “The Naked Time” (and “Space Seed” and others) with the medical monitor over the examination table.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.