The Novel you read the most...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Distorted Humor, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does anyone else have a novel they love and will return time and again to re-read it and enjoy it?

For me it is "Dune".

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have never read a book more than once.

3. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I generally don't re-read fiction. Some of the non-fiction books I have I'll re-read all the time. But there's one 1 novel that I've read more than once-- American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

4. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

A Finnish old book called Täällä Pohjantähden alla. I reread it every 2 years or so.

But more appropriately for this forum.. I've read Joe Haldeman's Forever War three times. And then some Star Trek books are my comfort food; if I'm anxious and life's too hectic, I'll read Strangers from the Sky or Spock's World for a few pages before I go to sleep.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I've read the Game of Thrones books a number of times. I'd say they're the most commonly read books but there are others I've reread, too.

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.

7. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings about once every two years or so. I've read certain Star Wars books more than once - specifically, the X-Wing series because those books were just so much fun, and some of the New Jedi Order books while that series was on going to refresh my memory. I've read some of the Deep Space Nine relaunch novels more than once due to large time gaps between working my way through the series.

8. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I re-read the Princess Bride every couple of years. The book just makes me happy. I also re-read the Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay every so often.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Dune and the Mars Trilogy by KS Robinson.

10. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one that I've read several times. It never gets old, either.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dune, The Lord of the Rings, and Macroscope.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"God Emperor of Dune" followed by "Dune" and "The Dark Wing" by a science fiction author named Walter Hunt.

14. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Same. Though I think that I need to insert the word "dozen" after several. :lol:

15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

The Star Trek novel Federation. I've read it 5 times. Non Star Trek it would be some of the early Tom Clancy novels like Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger. I've read those three times each.

16. The Green Mushroom

The Green Mushroom Commander Red Shirt

It may not be my favorite book, but "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe."

The class read it in fourth grade, I liked it so much that I made my parents get me the whole series for Christmas that year. I must have been really insistent because I remember thinking that was the first time I ever had one thing that I really wanted that I got.

I still have that box set though its yellowed by now and I don't have the box it came in. All the books are still there and in pretty good condition. Every time I read it I learn something new (for example I was in college before I noticed the series was about Christianity--guess thats what I get for reading it through a public school) and I every time I try to read the series I somehow abandon the project before getting to book five "A Horse and His Boy." I've never read that one and probably never opened it since I got that set. I haven't read the Last Battle since I was in elementary school but I do occasionally read the "Magician's Nephew." I just can't see why that was renumbered as #1, its a clear prequel and wouldn't work without at least TLTWATW.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Rendezvous With Rama, by far. Also, it's not a novel, but I re-read parts of Lost Worlds of 2001 frequently.

There are quite a few books I'd love to re-read, but there's so little time, and so much stuff that I haven't read yet.

18. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

I'm far too slow of a reader to re-read books. However, there are several I would love to revisit.

Because the publishers insist on all current editions of the Chronicles being numbered according to the internal chronology of the story. I agree that it's stupid. The Magician's Nephew is clearly meant to be read after the previously published books.

19. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've read Rendezvous with Rama a number of times. That's an easy read.

Starfarers and Harvest the Stars by Poul Anderson are somewhat more complex but I've read them the most.

20. pigletsgiblets

pigletsgiblets Commodore Commodore

The Stand by Stephen King.I read it every summer.