Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Working hard on getting my diet back in gear (ie. eating as much as humanly possible) so I can start packing on the muscle again. I'm pretty much written off summer, and I'm ready for the great winter bulking season.

2. martinnman

martinnman Guest

Well, I have joined one well-known gym some times before. I'm works out there very hard. I have found a new exercise routine. It seems very hard. It will check my stamina. Hope this will grow up my health.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Is it just me, or has the fitness forum been taken over by robots with terrible grammar?

4. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

After a blood pressure scare in late July and early August, I decided to start moving toward an active lifestyle. A bit over a month ago I started walking, steadily increasing my pace and the length of my walking sessions. At first I just walked at dawn, and later followed that with a walk at dusk. I've been walking two miles at a brisk pace for a couple of weeks now, followed by a mile (also at a brisk pace) at dusk. On Sunday I started doing a third mile in the mornings. This is the first time I've ever taken up a physical discipline, so I'm loving the new strength and toughness I feel. I've noticeably lost weight and may need some new clothes by Christmas. :lol: Once I slim down more I'll probably have to switch to jogging, though I'm concerned about my knees there.

The point for me is not to lose weight (though that's an intended side effect), but to maintain an active lifestyle. I anticipate this being a lifelong commitment.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Took some time off after leaning down...not part of the plan...but I've gotten back to lifting again and my strength is surprisingly mostly intact.

RAMA

6. John O.

John O. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey guys, haven't checked in in awhile. Here's the latest...

Been lifting pretty solid since I last mentioned things here. Changed strategies a few times. To jump right up to present, I'm starting Wendler's 5/3/1 strength training program next week so I had to redo some "clean" benchmarks the last few days on the key lifts.

I'm up 14 lbs from July 20th - up to 147 as of today. Actually might be on part to hit my target weight of 155 by December 15th. The maxes I measured over the last 2 days are a little lower than what I've hit previously, probably for 2 reasons. One is this week I was exhausted and not fresh, but I also approached them with a renewed sense of strictness about form and technique. No going down halfway for 3 reps at 250 with a spotter on the bench and calling it a 1RM of 262. Clean, solo on everything:

DL - 300x3
    Bench - 200x1
    Shoulder Press - 110x3
    Squat - 230x2

Pretty excited about this 5/3/1 program. Oh I also started using Fitocracy. Check out the website or google it to find out what it's about. It's like Bodybuilding.com but updated for the post-Facebook social networking site. I can send invites if anyone wants one, just shoot me an email at elessar54r@gmail.com and mention this thread. The site's in beta so you won't be able to just join on your own.

After reading some of Wendler's book and other discussions of year-round training, I'm excited to approach this thing with a more long term perspective. I've never really said to myself "I'm gonna be -here- in 6 months, and here's how I'm gonna do it." But now I'm doing just that. I plan to be 155 by Dec 15, 160 by the end of January, mid-Feb worst case scenario, and depending on the Illinois weather and when Spring starts, I'll push as hard as I can, maybe top out at 170 by the end of March - but from then on it's lean, lean, lean. Despite 14 lbs of weight gain I have dropped in BF from ~10 to ~6. Fully visible sixpack, but I'm prepared to give it up to make weight. Then maybe I can lean down and get to chiseled 150-155 next summer. If only!

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Anybody actually working out anymore? I know I've been really bad the last month or so. I went to a buddy's wedding in October, danced my ass off and was sore for about a week. Since, I think I've only been to the gym about 4 or 5 times. I've just been tired and having a hard time getting back into a routine.

8. John O.

John O. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have been off for Thanksgiving week - done Crossfit once or twice - but only been off about 7 days. When I get back tomorrow it's back to the grindstone!

9. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

My commitment to an active lifestyle is alive and well, three months in. I'm down 73 pounds, though last week was a bit of a disappointment. I gained an ounce or two and I'm not sure how: I ate sensibly throughout the week and was active over an hour a day every day. I do know that my walking seemed easy this week, and while I attributed that to new shoes, it might have meant I wasn't really pushing myself. Since my weigh-in Friday morning, I've been pushing myself every mile. I had to remind myself yesterday, after mulling the weight results, that I didn't start walking to lose weight. I did it to keep my blood pressure in check, and I'm definitely keeping it subdued. I'm hoping when I visit the doctor in a month he'll take me off the maintenance pills I'm on (blood pressure pills + a diuretic).

Right now I'm walking four miles in the morning and three miles in the evening. I was walking at lunch, too, but the constant work hurt my left knee and I had to take it easy for a week.

10. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I've been on my stationary bicycle twice today. I need to also get back into doing floor work - sit ups and such.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have discovered Power Cleans. I now have a new favorite exercise.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have a lifting buddy again! I haven't had anybody to work out with in years. I'm so excited. We've both already forced each other to do exercises that we normally don't do, and I think I'm gonna see a big jump in my strength in the next few weeks.

13. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Hello, I'm Peacemaker...long time lurker, first time poster (Hi, Peacemaker!).

Doing P90X this year. This is my second run. I did it last year a couple times and fell off the wagon after my ex and I got back together. He was my coach last year before we got back together. He and I aren't speaking to each other now (long depressing story involving New Year's Eve that I still don't understand), so, after turning to food during January, I decided to get back on the wagon. I started last week - so am in my 2nd week now. Hardest part is the diet...I'm trying my best, but those Fudge Rounds at the convenience store up the street are calling me now, even as I write this.

14. Lumi

Lumi Captain Captain

Am I the only girl in here...?

I've been walking my entire life, never had a car as a kid. In the last couple of years I've started jogging (as gently as one can, don't want to hurt my knees). A few months back I started watching what I eat, and I have lots 16 lbs so far. So happy!

15. Giggity

Giggity Cadet Newbie

Alas, as a personal trainer, I need to be in shape so I'm starting a diet to slim down next week then bulk up in a few months. I've spent too much time eating munchies and watching Star Trek lately :lol:

16. Me-Ike

Me-Ike Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Never fear! I'm throwing my double X chromosoms into the ring as well.

I've also been jogging for the past years as well, equally gently at first as well (I was elected Queen of the Couch Potatoes). Now I run most days of the weeks, usually around 6 kilometres, 10 when I have the time. Knees are complaining it about it from time to time, so I stretch after every run. It helps.

Do you run with music or without?

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Hard and heavy for me since early January. Total aggregate weight lifted last week for just leg press and hack squat: 102,150lbs.

RAMA

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My friend and I have been working out very regularly for the last 2 months. It's awesome having a lifting partner again! I've already added a ton of weight to all of my exercises. It helps having a spotter who can push a couple extra reps out of you!

19. Lumi

Lumi Captain Captain

It depends. Sometimes my reason for getting out running is more than just wanting exercise. Sometimes it's just to get away from my hectic household, and enjoy the quiet of nature. But I do find that when I do listen to music as I move, it makes me move much faster. Very motivating! It's pretty much 50/50. :)

I hit a plateau after I made that last post. Can't seem to lose any more weight, no matter how low I go with calories. It's hell!:scream:

20. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

I started working out on my own about 9 years ago (no gym though - home made exercises).
    I weighted 130kg before that (it slowly piled up over an 8 year period from when I was 13 years old - before that I was pretty 'average') and lost 46kg in 4 months.
    Ever since then I meditate on a regular basis, and work out by going out for a jog (45 to 60 mins - depending how much I feel up to at the time) with additional 15 mins (up to 30) for some body exercises with dumbbells - this I do about 2 days in a row, with 1 day of rest, or just every other day (depends).
    My knees had a tendency to complain at a time because of the jogging, but it settled down.
    I usually stretch before jogging (and sometimes afterwards), so its usually not an issue.

I was thinking on taking up regular swimming in addition to my jogging because the former would have an easier time affecting the entire body - but memberships are a bit expensive right now, so I just exercise on my own.

I have no issues with motivation, and if I don't exercise at all for a period of time, I don't gain weight (I'm eating mostly 2 meals per day anyway which I split into 4 smaller ones, and it's mostly enough for me) - and getting back into working out, I like to ease into it more or less (if I see the need to - if not, then I just continue as I did before).