TOS-Remastered: a waste of time

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by F. King Daniel, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Voyagerian

Voyagerian Commander Red Shirt

I have been around long enough to have over the years, as has been shown on local tv stations here and there, TOS as originally aired, and it's been beloved to me as any TOS fan. But I have zero problem with the 'upgrade' or whatever you care to call it. Let's face it, no fx were as gopd then as what can be done today. Do we as said need to go back and redo all those classic films?No. Need we have done so to TOS to make it more palatable-certainly not to us 'old-timers'!LOL.But c'mon...as best as it could have been done then-it had its flaws, so, tweaking kills nothing, and,to me, they look great, and don't clash or contradict anything. And the added scenes/ships are further enjoyment. You needn't to have been born twenty years ago to like this alteration, far as I am concerned. I would think that Gene would have loved to have had this level of technical sophistication when his team was churning out his series....

2. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Yeah, the remastered FX are mostly cool. Doomsday Machine, for example, is in a whole new ballpark now, thanks not so much to great new FX, but for LACK of crappy, distracting OLD ones!
    :techman:

3. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

That said, some of those in-space shots of the Enterprise were a little dodgy, and I don't mind the cleanup. But I can do without the rehauls such as the suspended bridge in Amok Time.

4. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

^ The advantage of that rock bridge shot was the ability to include the city of Shi-Kahr in the distance (one more poke in the eye of the "TAS isn't canon" crowd).

5. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

oh, hadn't noticed. Will have to take another look now that I have the 47".

6. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

To be honest, I think debating about whether the remastered eps are a waste of time is a waste of time. Those of us who are interested will go buy the set anyway and those who aren't won't. Still, I guess it fills the time until the next movie....

7. Prologic9

Prologic9 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well... the remastered shots aren't Canon either, so... :devil:

8. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

FIRE the cannon then!:guffaw:

9. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

I dont' have the remasterd on dvd but I do have the blu ray. I now have all of the seasons of TOS on blu ray, just bought season 3 yesterday. On the blu ray you can choose between the orginal or the remasterd. I always watch it on the remasterd because it looks great! I got the blu ray's because I wanted them, plus I love the show. So what if it looks great or not, I just like the show.

10. Captain Randy Hall

You'll get no argument from me. :bolian:

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

^^Me too.

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I think so too, and would have liked to see that. One of my most favorite changes was in one of my least favorite episodes, "Charlie X". I liked how they showed a "live action" version of the ship seen in the TAS episode where Spock was dying. I'm not sure, but I think it was "The Pirates of Orion".

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the new ships for ST XI was a TOS-ified Miranda. The 'new' Defiant has the same number as the TOS version - NCC-1764 - but is now a Miranda. Linky

14. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Wonder how much the size got bloated to from TOS, now. :p

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah, it was "More Tribbles, More Troubles". The ship from "Pirates of Orion" was the SS Huron, a different design. Both ship types are also in the ("un-canon!":rolleyes:) Star Trek: Of Gods and Men.

A TOS Miranda is in the (unfortunately utterly terrible) fan film "Blood and Fire". The story and acting are, sadly, horrific but the CG is great:
    [​IMG]

(pic borrowed from Trekmovie.com)

16. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, who wants to be the first to defend "Blood and Fire"?

17. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Haven't seen part II yet - but I'll do it.

18. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Not me -- I thought it was about twice as long as it needed to be to effectively tell its story.

I'm not saying I could do better -- far from it! But I wish it had been more tightly edited.

19. Captain Randy Hall

Not first, but I really enjoyed it, which I do with all the Phase II "independent productions." :bolian:

20. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    This is gonna sound weird but I don't really see the difference between the two. I mean, maybe because I've been watching these things for almost 40 years now, but my mind always substitutes the reimaged stuff for the old stuff.