DW Series 7 Returns!!...with "The Bells of St John"

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by 3chordboy, Mar 1, 2013.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suspect they'll be this year's "Zoom into a Crack at the end of the Episode."

2. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Definitely possible, but on the other hand, given that the plot is about "something" living in the Wi-Fi and the monsters are robots brought to life, I think there's a possibility what we're discussing may actually have a significant role in the ep (albeit not revealed until late in it).

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ah, OK, I thought it was a General comment, not specific to this episode

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Bell" prequel is up!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2IROtC6cAT4[/yt]

Ending seemed familiar somehow... But I thought Matt was quite endearing.

5. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Curiously, the Doctor was back in his older threads in this prequel. Not that he couldn't ever keep the old jacket in his wardrobe, but I thought he'd moved on to whatever he was wearing at Christmas (partly to blend in a bit more, partly to symbolize the post-Pond passage of time) and from there to the natty purple coat he'll be wearing this coming weekend. I suspect the producers wanted to keep THAT outfit to premier during the episode proper for some reason, even though everyone already knows what it is.

Mark

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well it's entirely possible that he went back to his old duds after the Snowman then settled on his new duds before The Bells of St John, we don't really know how much time has passed between TS and TBOSJ?

7. Cutter John

Or maybe its simply that this was filmed before they decided to change his look permanently after Christmas?

Figure there's no reason he couldn't switch back and forth now and again.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  8. Mark_Nguyen

None at all - he's done so before, switching from the jacket he stole from the Leadworth hospital to a slightly less well-fitting version by the time the Elysium crashed, only to switch back to the one he stole by the following adventure. However, this was more because they filmed the Angel two-parter before his actual premiere episode, during which time they gave Matt Smith a better-fitting jacket to wear. :P He's since replaced it with another similar jacket, and also swapped into and out of that green frock coat he started wearing last year, that just didn't look right.

Still, to him it's probably been some years since he's lost the Ponds, so I thought to visually symbolize the passage of time he would have abandoned the outfit style he'd bee using when he met them. Mind you, he's apparently been wearing that outfit for 200+ years. Certainly it'd have worn out by now, and no incarnation of the Doctor seems to have had an affinity for needle and thread...

Mark

9. Mark_Nguyen

Aha! The latest preview clip has answered my curious inquiries. :)

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.ca/2013/03/the-bells-of-saint-john-another-new-cip.html

It also shows that they're exploring the new console room set. Looks like the lower floor is still used for storage in general, though in this case it has part of the current Doctor's wardrobe. Where does he keep the bike we see him and Clara ride later on?

Looks like the two staircases leading down from the console room floor lead to a landing and then split into two further staircases leading to the bottom floor (a little redundant IMO). A little strange that you can have one way up to get to two exits, four ways to get down to the closet. and apparently only one exit. :P

Also in stark contrast to the rest of the set (and every console room since 1996), the storage locker seems to be made at least partly of wood! :)

Mark

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  10. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, he doesn't have to, given teh way the TARDIS magically creates a duplicate of his costume whenever he loses it - chewck out, in particular, the number of times Hartnell changes into local clothes (usually in the historicals) and has no opportunity to recover his jacket, yet somehow gets it back by the console room lead-in to the next story.

11. Cutter John

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  12. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

So it's a clip-on?!?!? I find that disappointing. :(

13. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Now it's a clip on. River or Amy is not there to help him make a proper bow tie :)

14. Cutter John

Well its kinda traditional. Doctor Two held his on with a safety pin. :)

15. Mark_Nguyen

It's usually a clip on. In "The Eleventh Hour" you can see him hooking it on through the fuzzy holographic faces of his predecessors.

Dunno if the tie he wore in "The Snowmen" was a true bow tie, though..?

Mark

16. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

^^I missed that, I'll have to go back and check lol...

17. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

He had a traditional bowtie in "The Wedding of River Song" at least.

18. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

Well this is exciting. I've remained completely spoiler free for this coming season (or half season), so it'll all be genuinely new. Less than an hour to go!

19. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was great, how come the forum is dead though.

Nothing to do with the wi-fi I hope.

20. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really dug it. Nice and complicated, a refreshing break from the more simplistic standalone blockbuster format of 7a. I was really worried we'd end up with something more akin to Partners in Crime but it was all very textured and ambitious, especially for a modern day London episode.