11th Doctor Costume Try-Outs

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

LOL, yea, I know that now, but, at the time I suggested Tennant's Doctor also had a Scottish Accent, I believed it was Scottish, though simply less thick

Oh, didn't we get word a day or a few ago, that Capaldi was indeed using his Scottish Accent?

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

That's right, they bolted the continent to a star whale :D

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Ah, did we? I must've missed it. Cool.

4. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Yes, but what's wrong with that? Why can't a space and time traveling alien look like an early 21st century male model? From an outsiders perspective that look is basically from the same place and time as the first Doctor's edwardian outfit.

I like the look with the striped shirt and white cuffs best, they should have picked that one. Maybe the 12th Doctor will get an outfit like that?

5. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sylvester McCoys natural accent is Scottish, but as the doctor he seemed to speak with at least a near English accent to me.
    Really. He sounded a bit more English to me. He at least tamed his accent a bit.
    David Tennant is Scottish, but his doctor put on an English accent.

But I'm terrible with accents, so if I'm wrong, please excuse me.

6. Green Lantern

Tennant sounded English to me. Probably from the east end more than anything.

7. Captaindemotion

There's nothing 'wrong' with it per se. I just don't find it terribly interesting. I want the Doctor to look different and to stand out. The perspective of we 21st century viewers is as important as the fictional characters meeting him and, by and large, there's a tradition that the Doctor looks eccentric to our eyes. Eccleston's garb was conventional but that was partly to make it clear that the new show 'wasn't your father's Doctor Who' and partly to reflect his somber character.

Put a young good-looking guy like Matt in conventional clothes like that and he loses a lot of Doctor-ish quality, IMHO.

With all those rolled 'Rs' and so forth? Definitely not to my ears. Or Wikipedia:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seventh_Doctor

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

He sounded pretty English to me.

Moffat said it was yet to be decided, but added something along the lines of him imagining Capaldi would do.

9. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I can see where you're coming from but the costume Matt Smith ended up wearing is really not that different, it's basically a hipster look, all that's missing is a pair of glasses. It's very modern in its old fashioned professorness.

Another problem is that we risk getting another sixth doctor clown coat if they try too hard to make him look different and stand out.:ack:

10. Captaindemotion

^ I agree with you on Colin's outfit (and, to a lesser extent I'd say Sly's also tried too hard). Maybe it was an 80s thing!

It's just a question of getting the balance right and I think that the bow tie, slightly-too-short trousers and boots gave Matt's Doctor enough quirkiness to make him stand out from most young men without making him look plain silly.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sylvester McCoy spoke with his natural accent when he played the Doctor. Just listen to him in DVD interviews, it's identical. Plus being the only Doctor to not have an English accent has made him topic of a few jokes in Who fandom. My uncle is constantly making jokes about regenerating after banging your head on the TARDIS console can change your accent.

Tennant, though Scottish himself spoke with a fake English accent as the Doctor, though got to use his natural accent in Tooth and Claw.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think it was a John Nathan Turner thing...

13. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both, really. JNT's cosutming choices were notably known for their standardized look. Doctors 4-7 under his tenure basically stuck to one solid look with relatively minor variations (5 changed the design of his sweater once, 6 had different waistcoats and cat pins, 7 changed his coat) while the Doctor prior to that had more significant variations (notably 3 and 4 with several different coats, accessories, etc.). 11 is arguably the Doctor with the most variation in his costumes, with the bow tie and trousers being the only real constants.

Mark

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

JNT considered the costumes "uniforms," and he thought the characters would be easier to merchandise if they had a constant look.

15. Green Lantern

I think T Baker has a pretty large change too, at least as much as Smith. In his early years, he has the multi coloured scarf, short red jacket, weird jumper thing, checked shirt, floppy hat, and shoes and sometimes a brown long coat, then the next notable change was not wearing the hat much, plain white shirt with not jumpers and stuff, long grey coat and boots. Then his final costume was white shit with question marked collars, Waist coat, dark red long coat and trousers, dark red and purple scarf, and boots. Quite a big difference. So I'd say Baker's even with Smith.

16. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty good observation. Yes, Tom's ensemble gradually changed over the seven years he played the role until it looked remarkably different from his debut outfit.

Of course, there's always the fan who will analyze every bloody scene from every serial. Such is the case of one "CyberLeader", a member of the Who North America on-line store forum. Here's a transcript of his observations. It'll make your head spin.

Robot - Wave 1 Tom with Green Tie and Original Scarf, original hat

Ark in Space - Wave 1 Tom with Green Tie and Original Scarf with grey section removed, original hat

Sontaran Experiment, Genesis of the Daleks - Wave 1 Tom with Green Tie and Overcoat and
    Original scarf, original hat

Revenge of the Cybermen - Wave 1 Tom with Green Tie and original scarf, original hat

Terror of the Zygons - Unique Tartan Scarf and Hat, Overcoat and new waistcoat
    Also the original scarf was used missing a few short colours at either end

Planet of Evil - Wave 1 tom, original scarf, TOTZ waistcoat and brown kravat

Pyramids of Mars - POE Tom with Overcoat, new dark green hat

The Android Invasion - SOD Tom with red tie (Android tom had a new scarf), hat

Brain of Morbius, Seeds of Doom - SOD Tom from 11 Doctors Set, new lighter hat

Masque of Mandragora, The Hand of Fear - POM waistcoat, Altered Original Scarf (android scarf for studio shots), brand new hat

The Deadly Asssassin - Timelord Costume and Previous Episode Costume with AI duplicate scarf, original hat

The Face of Evil, Robots of Death - HOF costume with red tie and duplicate scarf, original hat and new brown coat (green shoes worn exclusively in FOE)

Talons of Weng Chiang - Dearstalker hat, cape, no scarf, new waistcoat

Horror of fang Rock, The Invisible Enemy - SOD Outfit with red tie and duplicate scarf, new hat

Image of Fendahl - New Brown Overcoat, no tie or kravat, brand new scarf, original hat

The Sun Makers - HOFR & TIE costume with duplicate scarf ect., new hat

Underworld, Invasion of Time - IOF costume including the 3 episode exclusive scarf, new hat

Ribos Operation - Brown Overcoat, original scarf with less pieces joined to the duplicate to create the longest scarf to date.. new hat

Pirate Planet, Stones of Blood, Androids of tara - Brown overcoat, new spotted waist coat, no tie or kravat, combined scarf, new hat

Power of Kroll, the armageddon factor, destiny of the Daleks - Grey jacket, grey trousers, boots, combined scarf

City of death - DOTD with shoes rather than boots, new hat

Creature from the Pit - DOTD costume with boots, new hat

Nightmare of Eden - Brown overcoat and DOTD costume, original hat

Horns of Nimon - COD costume, original hat

Shada - NOE costume with different costumes, original hat

The Leisure Hive - Brand new costume, burgandy with the longest scarf ever sporting burgandy/brown shoes with rather MAD socks, new burgandy hat

Meglos - TLH costume with new waistcoat and boots

Full Circle, State of Decay, Warriors Gate, Keeper of Traken, Logopolis - Standard Season 18 costume

Sincerely,

Bill

17. Green Lantern

18. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I like that look a lot. It looks great on Smith, though it doesn't fit the 11th Doctor at all. At least, certainly not the early era. It reminds me a bit of the serious twinge his wardrobe started to take on in the Clara era. If Smith had played the Doctor more seriously, it would totally work. (Although, perhaps it's a little too close to Tennant's look for comfort.)