The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

Um...you can see his movies in a regular theater, too.

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

You just reminded me that I'll actually be able to see this in IMAX! Plans were announced recently for one of our local theaters to be converted into an IMAX theater by March of next year. Previously, the closest IMAX theater to me would have been a two-hour drive, something that I won't indulge in even for a Chris Nolan film.

3. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never cared much for the Riddler as a villain. So not using him is ok with me. I'm not sure which Bat villain i'd like to see though.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll make one more stab at this otherwise I'll just let it be.

He was saying Caped Crusader=Campy=Adam West show therefore they may not want to use that title.
    It's been 50yrs that show is hardly an impact on the character now. Not that the show hasn't been at one point an impactful influence.

Today's movie going audience isn't FIRST, if at all, thinking of Adam West's TV Batman or his movie tie-in. There have been 4 actors play the part in varying degrees of success. Simply using the title Caped Crusader isn't suddenly going to invoke flashbacks among moviegoers to Adam West and have them going "Oh my god it'll be campy". I wasn't dissing the show.

That's my last attempt to set the record straight. God the internet can be frustrating. I know if I was talking to you face to face this misunderstanding wouldn't have occured. :techman:

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Besides, younger audiences probably know Adam West more for his role on "Family Guy" than they do his role on "Batman."

6. Listener4

Listener4 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Don't much care for the title, but I doubt the title will make all that much difference.

7. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I just asked a contemporary where they knew Adam West from and she said Batman, so... okay.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Ooh, one person! I'm convinced!

Actually, what I meant was, though young people may know Adam West was originally Batman 50 years ago, they probably haven't watched the show. I've known Adam West was Batman for a long time, but I've never seen any of that series. I know it more from parodies than anything else.

9. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I remember watching West's Batman on reruns. Good times. And I happen to think Caped Crusader would have been a fine name. I'm pretty sure I'd never mistake Nolan's vision for West's camp.

10. JacksonArcher

I know plenty of people my age and younger who know Adam West strictly from the Batman TV show. They've seen the show and watched the movie. Like I said before, my friend owns Batman: The Movie on DVD and another friend of mine is a huge fan of the Adam West show.

11. JacksonArcher

I disagree. I think plenty of people still remember the Adam West TV show. I don't agree that the TV show has any sort of correlation or connection to the phrase The Caped Crusader, though- I think that title is cheesy in itself without any connotation to the Adam West TV series needed.

It seemed like you were. You might not have intentionally dissed it, but you may have inadvertently dissed it. That's okay. So long as you weren't.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And I know zero people like that. So which one of us wins? :p

My only real point is that "The Caped Crusader" as the title wouldn't necessarily make people think of the old Batman show.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The problem isn't that The Caped Crusader would make people think of Adam West -- the problem is that it wouldn't make people think of Christian Bale. Remember, films have to be targeted at a mass audience, not just the people who are already familiar with the concept. The Dark Knight was one of the most successful superhero movies ever made -- of course they're going to include The Dark Knight in the title to its sequel.

14. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nolan is probably too polite to say that Riddler is an exceedingly lame and unthreatening villain.

15. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

The Caped Crusader makes me think Batman...period. :shrug:

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Even something like "Gotham Knight" would be good. You would still have the "knight" part of it to connect it with its predecessor, and you'd have the "Gotham" part to show that Gotham City has accepted him as their protector. I think it accomplishes the same goal as "The Dark Knight Rises" without sounding so goofy.

17. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw what you did there, even if nobody else did.

That's clever. :techman:

18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

That was, in fact, you may recall, the subtitle for The Dark Knight's animated tie-in - Batman: Gotham Knight.

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Forever Knight! :evil:

:lol:

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Hmm, I do recall, now that you mention it. I never saw it, though.