Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

IIRC the original filming miniature of the D-7 had very little detail. The AMT Model kit added the fins in the secondary hull leading edges and the narrow vents on the top of the hull. Those were intended from the design sketches but never on the ship we saw on screen.

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Any plans to do more large size ships like the JJ Prise. I'd love to see the refit at that size.

3. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The JJ-Prise is larger because it's one of the special issues. The DS9 model was also (slightly) larger than the bi-monthly issues. The Vengeance is also on the list as a special issue, and I'd imagine that will be roughly the same size as the JJ-Prise.

4. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I would hope it would be larger...

5. trekker670

I agree, but this series isn't in scale, so I doubt they'd start with the JJ-Prise and Vengeance, given the latter would have to be double the length, making it nearly a foot and a half long!

6. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well my order of issues 11-16 came in Saturday (got it today), And boy it had some great ships and the worst one they have yet to make.

The Ferengi Marauder is easily the worst, both model and magazine.

The Magazine's completely omits all of the wonderful detail on their CGI Plan Views (the only Plan view worse is the Romulan War Bird, boy it looked like crap).

Then on the model to not paint anything, WTF (I did know this was going to happen, just venting). Seriously the worst overall paint job.

The only other problem ship was the Galor class Cardassian ship. Both the tail and the cobra head are very marginally off (I mean ever so slightly), enough to not request a new one, but enough to make you look twice at it.

But the Reliant is outstanding tied with NX-01 and 1701-D as the best models to date.

Tthen you have three ships that are not quite as great, but I love hem and so very happy to have the Nova class, the Dominion Cruiser, and the Akira class. Heck I might just order extras of those three just because I don't have any of them in any other form factor.

7. mswood

ActuallY I think so far I would like to see the Excelsior at that size just because how slight the ship is currently.

8. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Well, that didn't take long... the first shipment arrived today! The Enterprise-D was waiting for me when I got home! (I had thought they mentioned *two* ships would arrive with each shipment, but maybe they're just sort of ramping up or something.)

I guess I don't really recall seeing anyone in this thread discussing the packaging, but I had sort of assumed they would have come in a shipping box. The bubble envelope doesn't really do much to protect them, and so the magazine arrives fairly beat-up looking. And the box that holds the model was sort of crushed in on one corner, but fortunately the models are packed well in the box, so the ship itself was no worse for wear.

And of course, the model itself was fantastic, but I was kinda expecting that with all the praise on here... ;)

Any other Canadian subscribers on the board?

9. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

In the US they come two at a time in a cardboard box.

10. mswood

Sorry to hear about the packaging, but congrats to our Canadian brothers and sisters.

And yes that model is one of the very best. I mean besides the same size shuttle bays I really didn't have any issue with it, and the painted detail for a ship that size was just WOW.

Just remember the next is one of the weaker efforts, and then its back up in quality. In fact really personally just the 1701 refit, the Cardassian ship and Ferengi ship have been poor in my opinion. And still not terrible.

11. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

They do that here too!

12. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Any word on when the JJ-Prise will hit the states?

13. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I have no idea, but mine looks rather nice on my desk.

14. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Im amazed that with all the slight mistakes and errors in the models,that paramount(or whoever) are getting the models on the market with those flaws.

15. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I've read that Lucasfilm used to be rather draconian in their pre-release approval process (but my understanding is thay was the exception rather than the rule). It's possible that if Eaglemoss released a bunch of crap CBS might pull the license, but my guess is the quality of the customer service probably means more to CBS than the products themselves.

That being said, to date, the only error that I think is particularly glaring is the backwards decal on Defiant, but even that is so relatively minor that I don't think it's that big of a strike on the overall line (and in no way would raise the ire of CBS). Other problems like the occasional crooked part or paint inconsistencies are to be expected on a mass-produced item a $20 price point. If it was expected that every unit would be picture perfect, it could likely raise the price just enough that the product would likely not be as viable.

16. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Have any Australian subscrbers received their 2nd delivery yet? or know when to expect it?

17. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Because the third round of models didn't arrive in April, I've emailed Eaglemoss (or rather, its German distributor) and they replied promptly that they had a supply bottleneck.

That would explain why there's not a single package openly available in newspaper shops across the country. Anyway, I wonder whether they'll combine the third and fourth delivery and maybe even throw in the (for me useless) E-D dedication plaque. It would save them delivery costs I guess.

Anyway, to prevent mysel from starving I procured USS Equinox from Ebay. The connection lines between the parts are very obvious but other than that, the model is top notch. They labelled the lifeboats! I also like that the secondary deflector is properly recessed, unlike it was on the Furuta version.

I've got the Furuta version since childhood, so it will always have a special place in my heart but Eaglemoss's Equinox is technically superior. No material does starship models as much justice as down-to-Earth metal.

You know how hard it is not to just buy all the models off Ebay instead of patiently waiting for the delivery? :rommie: But then, I don't need every single model twice. I can wait. I can. Resist. :drool:

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Much to the detriment of the Titanium series?

Let's have a whole bunch of pod-racers--they will sell...oops.

19. trekker670

20. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

It's a shame that we have to wait a while for the original Enterprise, but it's nice that the Enterprise-C is coming. I love the Ambassador-class!