7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 29, 2012.

?

Grade "The Angels Take Manhattan"

Poll closed Oct 30, 2012.
  1. The girl who waited

100 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. Something borrowed

35 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Average

10 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Is it bad that I really miss this?

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. You're Scottish, fry something

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Where we differ is that I wouldn't consider it a cop out. It seems entirely consistent with what happened before. Although, having said that, I did think *that* was a cop out! ;)

Mr Awe

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Here you go

2007...has he contradicted himself since then?

Couple of quotes from it.

Highlights mine.

Obviously at the end of the day this is just one guy's opinion, same as each of us have an opinion, and like I say I did rail a little against this the first time I read it many years ago, but its an interesting article to insert into the debate.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

And since Rory's exisntence was restored, presumably he was standing with Amy on the hill again.

The modern day New York scenes are set in 2012. This is fact, stated in dialogue a couple of times. Rory's grave was seen when the Doctor and Amy left in the TARDIS to begin their attempt to get to 1938. At the end, after Amy and Rory are returned to the graveyard after their jump off the roof, there's a line like "we're back where we started" suggesting this is 2012. More concrete proof, after Amy and Rory are transported by the Angel the Doctor runs to Central Park to get the page he ripped out of the book, meaning that it must still be 2012.

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Fantastic, 2012 I can understand but I don't know the idea that it was set in 2021 came from. And since Rory and Amy died before 2012 their can't be a version of them from 2020 standiing on a hill in 2010. :eek:

ETA: I suppose the argument could be made that the Doctor took Amy and Rory from 2010 and put them on the hll to be able to wave to themselves, although that really makes no sense at least to me. But it also makes no sense for the Doctor to take the 2020 versions of Amy and Rory to Central Park in 2012. I guess it's just better not to think about it too much.

OTOH, I don't see a reason why River Song can't be his official companion now, since they are married.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The reason to set it in 2012 is that it was filmed in 2012 (and, due to ongoing construction, would obviously not be 2020). Maybe they were going to see a show or something after that took place in 2012.

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

7. The Wormhole

No one is saying it was set in 2021, just that Amy and Rory were from 2021 and the Doctor took them to 2012, which like you say makes no sense.

And really the whole dating thing makes no sense at all anymore. 2021 is conjecture based on admittedly flimsy evidence, but if you take into account everyhting that has been established in seasons 5 and 6, Amy and Rory can be from no earlier than 2016 in order to accomodate all the time jumping that has been going on.

Really, Doctor Who has never been too consistent with dating modern day stories. The only time any real effort was put into doing so was during the RTD era, and they still screwed things up. Still, I think S7 may be as sloppy as UNIT Dating.

8. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

10. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see why it's so weird that the Doctor would take 2021 Amy and Rory to 2012. In "Human Nature" he takes Martha (from 2008) to 2007! Ooh, exotic. At least Rory and Amy have had time to get nostalgic.

11. The Wormhole

To be honest, that bothered me too.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I like it. I wish they had filmed it. Although it overlaps with Amy's scene, so they can't really include both in the episode. But it made a great web extra (and would have made an even better extra if filmed).

13. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Quite a touching ending. Would have made the episode for me.

14. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

If the framing sequence from Angels in Manhattan is set in 2012, why does the newspaper say the Detroit Lions won the Super Bowl, when they didn't (and the episode was filmed after the Super Bowl). I would say it's more likely that those scenes took place in February 2013 (even if the Lions' performance so far makes it unlikely they'll even sniff the playoffs).

15. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I assumed they were trying to firmly establish that Doctor Who is indeed a fantasy show, not just science fiction. :lol:

16. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

My son and I have been working our way through last season, and then the current one. Tonight we finally saw The Angels Take Manhattan.

I'm sure everything that can be said already has. I'll just add that both of us were crying (I'm not talking about a single tear welling up, I'm talking about sobbing here!).

:lol:

When Amy's name showed up on the tombstone, and we realized at once that they were gone, but that they lived long and happy lives together, well...that was a beautiful moment. Just brilliant. We loved it.

Farewell to the Ponds.

:beer:

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

20. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

More than 450 posts and no one has said anything about Sting?