Lost 5x03: "Jughead"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 28, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

45.8%
  2. Above Average

49.4%
  3. Average

3.6%
  4. Below Average

1.2%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe. Although, the Others killed all the army guys. We didn't hear about any of them leaving. Which isn't to say they didn't of course. But maybe the army somehow found the island and got more than they bargained for when they got there.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, are there ANY redshirt survivors of the Losties at this point? Did this episode literally kill every single non-main character? Holdasec, what happened to Rose and Bernard! Where was the last place we saw them? Maybe they have some other redshirts with them.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Hmm, Widmore is a former Other. Yet his orders to Keamy were to kill every single person on the Island after Ben was retrieved. He's willing to kill all his former people? To kill Alpert? To kill Jacob, if that's possible? He must have had a very unpleasant expulsion from them. Does he hate Ben just because he's the current leader of the Others, or because Ben personally exiled him? This seems unlikely since Ben didn't become the leader until 1992 with the Purge and obviously Widmore was off-Island way prior to that to father Penny and found his company. Of course, he might have just been working off-Island for the Others before that and then finally Ben didn't let him come back home. Then again, he keeps declaring its "his" Island... does he feel he should be the leader and not Ben? Did Ben beat him out in a struggle to be the leader?

5. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I hope all the redshirts are dead. They really serve no purpose other than cannon fodder.

6. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Great episode with a ton of revelations. However, my favorite scene was definately when Desmond burst into Widmore's office and had a confrontation with him. Des is the man!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  7. DeafPoet

I had the same thought about the redshirts. But you're right, there's gotta be another group of them somewhere. No way are Rose and Bernard dead. They and Hurley are like the holy trinity of characters Damon and Carlton wouldn't kill because of death threats :lol:

8. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

true, they must have had a ship though

9. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

she's cute

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

OK, the last we saw Rose and Bernard was the onset of the fire arrow attack in "The Lie". So this means they just ran off into the jungle and got separated from our characters. This means there could still be other redshirts with them.

11. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

they formed their own camp, "The Reds"

12. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I think there are about 20 redshirts still left.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So is the death of all these redshirts the horrible events that Bentham was alluding to? How many died in that one fire arrow attack like twenty?

14. DeafPoet

That power vacuum oughta work out well for Bernard then. He and his Jack-Complex have been waiting months to tell some people what to do! :lol:

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Random Remembrance: what the hell happened with Harper, the Other psychologist married to Goodwin who hated Juliet? She was supposed to be a major new character on the same level as Dan/Charlotte/Miles/Frank, yet she only appeared once and was never heard of again. Was this because of the strike-shortened season? Or was she never supposed to be important?

Also, I really hope we see more of Frank. I really love that guy. The actor just makes the character so charming and nice. Unfortunately they seem to be writing him off...

16. DeafPoet

I recall when they were bringing Harper around last year it was for a role that was possibly recurring. So we may see her again. I don't think she was ever supposed to be anywhere near as important as the Freighties.

As for Frank, I think we'll be seeing a lot more of him. I somehow doubt they brought the guy down to Hawaii on the promise of one or two lines in "The Lie."

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, come to think of it she was listed alongside the Freighties and Minkowski and whoever Zoe Bell played. So I was pretty damn shocked when those two had a couple voice cameos, appeared once, then died! I thought they were all going to be major characters.

18. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well maybe the military ends up being on the island for awhile?
    Remember that Hurley first got the numbers form the crazy ex-soldier who was doing some secret military listening for something in the pacific & ended up hearing the numbers being broadcast. Could the military have build the radio tower?

19. da sisko

da sisko Captain Captain

I agree totally, his eps have awesome reveals.

20. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Above average. Another entertaining outing.

It is clear the writers have mastered this particular style of storytelling expertly. The show is well on its way to being the best example of complex arc based storytelling ever. The way the writers keep track of who knows who and what to the way the writers don't tip their hands to early and the way they time the reveals to where they will have the most impact. And I love how everything plausibly builds on everything else and the ease with which the characters' lives interconnect.

Last week, I was 95% certain Hawkins was Dan's mother. After this week, I'm a 100% certain. The way Dan was cut off in getting out her name. The fact that she was scribbling complex calculations on a chalkboard like Dan. The subtle hint with both having last names of famous physicists. I like how it is all, even this early, started falling into place where you can start to see the broad outlines of the season. Clearly, Desmond will now head to LA where he'll locate her and realize she is the same person who he met in episode 3.8 which will lead to its own series of revelations and insights. I can hardly wait for Desmond's reaction. It will also mean he'll inevitably cross paths with the Oceanix Six for the first time since they left Penny's boat in last year's finale.

Poor Desmond doesn't realize she is being placed in danger because of his quest to help the other survivors--although her life might be spared. Last week, I wondered why Ben hadn't killed Penny yet and then with this week's teaser it briefly had me thinking Desmond had gone for a doctor to treat a bullet wound she had suffered during an attempt on her life. I also wondered that the reason Sayid no longer works for Ben is because Ben had asked him to kill Penny and he refused to do so because of his relationship with Desmond. This also means that Penny, who had been safely tucked away, will be out in the open and an enticing target for Ben who has yet to fulfill his vow to kill her from last season's "The Shape of Things To Come".

Desmond remained on the Kahana promising to never set foot on the island again and again tonight it was mentioned so I'm thinking that the only way he would willingly go back is if her life was threatened and Ben promised to spare Penny if he returned to the island. Although it hasn't been brought up, it would seem not only the Six but Desmond and possibly Frank must return to the island.

I certainly never saw Widmore being an Other. The writers engaged in a bit of clever misdirection with him wearing the uniform of a dead soldier that read the name "Junes". I'm also thinking in hindsight that the young female Other is Mrs Hawkins. She was British and in her twenties which would be consistent with Hawkins' age. It puts a new spin on her holding a gun on Daniel. It also sheds new light on Daniels' interest in joining up with the freighter last season. Each of the four seemed to have their own reasons and agendas for participating and to learn his mother might be a part of the Others' certainly suggests a lot. I'm also wondering if she was the unseen caretaker in "Confirmed Dead" since they deliberately shot her only from the shoulders down.

And now it raises the question about what is the current state of the relationship between Widmore and Hawkins? She is helping Ben locate the island but Ben is Widmore's mortal enemy? And when and under what conditions did Hawkins and Widmore leave the island? Was it voluntarily? Was it by force? Why and when did they come to the island? How were they recruited? Were they involved in DHARMA? Was the notebook Dan is constantly referring to not his but his mother's research notes? Does Hawkins know her son was on the island and had been tapped by Widmore and knows this before Desmond tells her? Had Ben told her? Did Ben know Dan was her son when he came to the island last year? Beyond the threat of what is happening to the island evoking the reaction "God help us all" it might explain another reason for her interest in helping Ben find the island and stop what happened? I also wonder why Jacob via Christian told John to move the island if it was going to result in this calamity. And where is the island? The survivors are physically moving through time as opposed to the mental leaps Desmond experienced in episodes 3.8 and 4.5. The island also appears to be in the condition it was when at whatever point in time they jump into hence no campsite, the Hatch blown, then intact in a later jump, the drug plabe in the tree and then fallen down etc. So does the island just integrate into the time period or is it someplace else entirely. It obviously is no longer where it was since it vanished.

Richard refers to a leader. Is he referring to Jacob? We learn Richard was aware of Jacob as early as 1954. When did Widmore first meet Ben? Was it as a child or as an adult? What is the relationship between Hawkins and Ben? We also learn Dan is aware Miles can hear the dead. We learn there is an H-bomb on the island called "Jughead". Did the Others heed Dan's advice and bury it? If so, where? Interesting that it was there on this island all this time unbeknowst to the survivors. It will most likely come into play but I don't know how or when.

Juliet reveals she knows more than the survivors about Richard. I briefly thought John could just ask Juliet about another way off the island but Ben wouldn't have ever shared that with her given the fact he knew she wanted to return to Rachel. John has decided to keep the fact that the Six survived from the other survivors. John is clearly taking "his people" thing a bit too seriously. We learn there were Others before Tom, Bea et al as far back as 1954. We also learn that the object that was already John's was the compass(since the older John was given it it was already his) and John's visit in the 1954 instigated Richard's interest and visit to young John as chronicled in "Cabin Fever". The US military conducted H bomb tests on the island, using it as a proving ground, and was aware of its existence as far back as 1954. How did they locate it when others seem to have difficulty doing so. Is Charlotte dead?

Nice touch naming his son after Charlie.

I impatiently await the next chapter.