Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Godless Raven, Apr 11, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tuvix's life doesn't belong to him? So now we get to it... you endorse servitude and slavery in the name of authority just because he's different?

2. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

That works both ways. IMO, telling those who disagree with you that they are anti-Janeway, anti-choice and/or anti-feminist does nothing to help the discussion.

Tuvix stole nothing and murdered no one. A perpretrator has to act. Tuvix didn't exist prior to the accident, therefore couldn't act.

ETA: Not to worry. No one is going to murder you and steal your organs. That's illegal and, as I've made the point over and over in this thread, immoral. It's nice to see finally that you agree with me.

However, :techman: for a truly emotional argument!

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  3. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

You just admitted that you like Tuvix less than Tuvox and Neelix and then claim that the other folks are using emotional arguments? Seriously?

This is what a rational way to approach the case would look like:
    Two people died and one was born. You can reverse this process. Whatever you do, somebody dies / remains dead. There is no easy way out.

There is no Tuvok and Neelix or Tuvix bias in here, it is just boiling down the problem to its basics. Any comparisons with organ donation or whatever or claims that there is a "natural state", be it as it was before or after the accident, is just an attempt to avoid the horror that whatever Janeway decides is wrong and makes her guilty.

4. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Yes Seriously, I will freely admit I am very emotional about this subject. Why do you think I went to all the trouble to research organ donation, so yes I feel very deeply that Janeway made the only decision she could have made, now I have tried (and I am sure failed) in some instances. But I will not deny my gut feelings about this either.

And you are completely right, every thing else is conjecture on all our parts. Like I said earlier, the women in the US are fighting a battle now over the right to our own bodies, and yes I am very emotional about it. I cannot stress how important I think this is.

5. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

I think it is good to feel strongly about an issue. There is nothing wrong with being angry and hot-headed about anything of importance and it is certainly better than being ignorant or cynical or just not caring. But I also think it is necessary to use cold reason to analyze and completely understand a topic one cares about.
    Perhaps I am stupid but I fail to see in what way the Tuvix accident is related to organ donation. It's not like some evil doctor took Tuvok and Neelix and cooked a Frankenstein monster out of them. It was rather an accident that happened without the involvement of any agency, it was a symbiotic plant getting into the transporter.

This is what we humans have a problem with, a catastrophe that has no deeper meaning. We are very good at coming up with reasons for something horrible that happened (Pat Robertson and 9/11, euphemisms for being no more like "resting in peace", the ancients sacrificing something to the gods to influence the bad weather) but we have a hard time embracing the total lack of sense of something like the Tuvix accident. There was no higher power involved and there is no meaning to it. Two people die and one was born. It is a total nightmare.

6. teya

I don't think you're stupid. I'm at a loss, myself, and I did my medical ethics thesis on the ethical issues in organ transplantation. Granted that was back in the mid-90s, but I've remained fairly up to date on the technology involved and the ethical issues. I have made reference to live donor transplants, but that's the only place I see any possible correlation, and the argument would benefit Tuvix.

It is, as you say, an episode that puts Janeway in a no-win situation. And the thing is, she knew it. Look at her face at the end of the episode. She's not clapping Tuvok & Neelix on the back and smiling broadly at their return. She says a curt, "Glad to have you back" and walks into the hall where she pauses with a look that says the entire weight of the universe is on her shoulders.

She isn't happy with what she just had to do. She will, however, live with it.

7. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I, too, liked how that last bit was played. However, I always thought the issue warranted a somewhat more extensive discussion. Or a discussion at all. The way it is presented – with no-one from the crew, not counting the Doctor, supporting Tuvix heart-breaking pleading to let him live – makes the crew look very cruel. One moment they act like Tuvix' friends, the next they assist in his murder.

I would have been nice, if they had presented some kind of coda to the episode. Just a little scene right after (or before) the execution on sickbay, where Janeway gets the chance to voice some sort of ambivalence about the thing she has just done. The way it is shown makes it look like a much too easy decision for her.

8. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I see Janeway as the ultimate sin eater. She not only took on the sin, she committed the sin to save her 2 crewmen.

This vid is stopped at the Tuvix mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQgLRrSVsZ0&feature=player_detailpage#t=92s

Yeah... I "know" it was wrong, but I also know IF I was Tuvok, or Neelix, then I would want her to sav me.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQgLRrSVsZ0[/yt]

I know, I know, it is selfish, it is "wrong", but I would still want her to do it. And by "her" doing it, not only do I get to live but I don't even have to carry the sin of Tuvix' death on my conscience. SHE did that... for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQgLRrSVsZ0&feature=player_detailpage#t=121s

She didn't even pretend it was right.

She didn't even pretend he didn't exist.

She turned to watch Tuvix die, as Neelix & Tuvok were "reborn".

And then she left, without a word to the men she saved.

9. R. Star

Yeah that scene were Tuvix was reaching out to anyone, begging for someone to support him was just plain powerful and awesome in it's morbidness.

10. teya

That's a terrific analogy. :techman:

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tuvok is an organ.

Neelix is an organ.

Were they donated?

No.

Were they stolen?

No.

(Maybe it's comparable to being switched at birth?

Can you blame the mother for loving the wrong baby, or the children for stealing each others toys and crapping in some one elses diapers?)

But Janeway retroactively decided that because "Tuvix could not speak for Tuvok and Neelix" permission for the hybrids conception, and the continued re-ratification of their ongoing existence, would never have been given if the two original components had been allowed to decide for themselves before the meld and then periodically after integration to weigh if Tuvix is worth their deaths and then periodically ad infinitum still worth their deaths.

No permission = stolen.

(Why am I thinking about a mother refusing to breast feed because they're sure that their baby is an asshole?)

HA!

"It's easier to say sorry than please."

12. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Heart breaking scene for sure. You know that Janeway made the right choice but that scene makes me question it. I can see this episode on a level of logig versus emotions.

13. cabby

cabby Lieutenant Red Shirt

Of course Tuvok and Neelix are not terminally ill. They are dead. Their consciousness and brain function have ceased. They are not sentient, because they do not exist.

The sniper analogy doesn't at all fit. Tuvix is not committing a crime and has done nothing to perpetrate this. He is a sentient being. That he exists due to an accident is irrelevant. Only his status as a sentient being is relevant.

If we are going to stick with the flawed organ donation analogy, it would be more like a person donating a kidney, having their remaining kidney fail and a attempt to take it back from the recipient.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tuvix may not be committing a crime, as such, but remember the argument posited earlier - that Tuvix, as a Starfleet officer (due to Tuvok's memories) should be willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good. I'm having a hard time being against this argument. If Tuvix insists on his own life, is this not contrary to that spirit of self-sacrifice that every Starfleet officer is expected to have?

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I don't see Tuvix as part of Voyager's crew, he was clearly a new type of life form.

Besides, Worf never donated his blood the the dying Romulan even for the greater good. Picard could have ordered him to, but he didn't. In the end Worf kept his respect for his captain.

16. R. Star

That's what made The Enemy a great episode. Worf really surprised me in that one when he didn't do the "right" thing by saving the Romulan, who by his own admission didn't want the "klingon filth" in his body anyways.

Even as Bochra and Geordi built a bridge, Worf and his Romulan still had a long way to go. You wonder if Season 7 of DS9 Worf would've done it. Still, it's a very... real... episode.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tuvix had all of Tuvok's knowledge and experiences. He was clearly qualified to be the tactical officer if required.

18. R. Star

The only nitpick I have is he should've had one of those "provisional" rank badges... heck, Paris should've too though. Janeway does play favorites.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Tuvix also had all of Neelix's knowledge and experiences.

Janeway would have no right to order Neelix to save another at the cost of his own life.

20. cabby

cabby Lieutenant Red Shirt

Would you sacrifice yourself to bring back someone from the dead? (Which Tuvok & Neelix are).

This, however, is an irrelevant point. While Tuvix's actions can be debated morally, that is not the question we are asking. The question regards the morality of Janeway's actions (the arbitrary killing of a sentient being in order to save another).