Space Quest creators are making a new game

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by pcj, May 12, 2012.

1. pcj

pcj Ensign Newbie

The Two Guys from Andromeda, creators of the Space Quest adventure game series (from Sierra in the '80s and '90s), have opened up their Kickstarter campaign for their new space adventure game. And they've got some nice voice talent lined up as well, including:
    • Gary Owens - Narrator from SQ4 and SQ6, voice of Space Ghost, Laugh-in, and many many others in a long and distinguished career.
    • Rob Paulsen - Pinky from Pinky and the Brain, Yakko from Animaniacs, Raphael the Ninja Turtle, and multiple characters from Monkey Island among many other characters he has voiced.
    • Robert Clotworthy – Jim Raynor from StarCraft 1 & 2, Senator Evran & Supreme Chancellor from Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Narrator of The History Channel’s Ancient Aliens series, Big Bang Theory, etc.
    • Ellen McLain - GLaDOS from Portal 1 & 2, Overwatch from Half-Life 2, Administrator from Team Fortress 2, Witch from Left for Dead 2 and many more.
    • John Patrick Lowrie - Sniper from Team Fortress 2, Sword Control from Halo Reach, Citizens from Half-Life 2 and author of Dancing with Eternity.

Check out their Kickstarter now at: http://www.tgakick.com

Also be sure to check out their website: http://www.guysfromandromeda.com

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

3. Decaffeinated Jedi

Decaffeinated Jedi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope, Gary Owens is still around. He recently reprised the role of Space Ghost on an episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

I'm pretty excited about the new project from the Two Guys from Andromeda. I thought the series' Trek spoofs -- especially the extended riff on "The Trouble with Tribbles" featuring rapidly-multiplying Space Monkeys in Space Quest 5 -- were hilarious.

4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First Wasteland and now Space Quest. Kickstarter is the best damn thing to happen for retro gamers. Come on Mega Man Legends 3.

Anyway, this sounds good, but for the love of god take a tip from LucasArts and do not make this game unwinnable. I've always wanted to play some Sierra games, but I could never get over that infuriating design flaw.

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Looking forward to this. I've always liked the Space Quest games and I'd love to see what they can do with new technology.

6. pcj

pcj Ensign Newbie

I don't think that was a design flaw, per se. A lot of people don't like it, but that's how they designed the game.

Anyway, they have talked about that (in podcasts and on Twitter) and seem to understand players' feelings on that. So I'd imagine they'll try to work with that in mind.

7. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is honestly amazing!!!! The happiest news I have heard in years regarding classic gaming.

Anyone who considers them self an old school gamer should be familiar with the Space Quest series. They are legendary in their sci-fi, humor, and countless homages and parodies of star trek and other great sci fi franchises.

If you love star trek, adventure games, and humor, space quest is right up your alley.

The Two guys from Andromeda deserve this shot, and I for one am going to pledge at least $115 to this project. (The rewards you get for donating are pretty impressiv as well... 8x6 autographed pieces of art, easter eggs personalized to you, t-shirts, old school game boxes, beta testing access, GOG.com bundle credits, producer credits in the game, and much, much more...)

Just made the front page of adventuregamers.com!

8. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True, it wasn't a design flaw because Sierra intended it that way, but it was still a dumb ass way to develop games. Well, games used to be infuriatingly difficult back in the day, so fair enough. That's how it was back then. But if they release a game as unforgiving as the original Space Quests today, well, I hope they know better.

Ideally they'll have a "hardcore" and a "casual/normal" mode.

9. Mr_Homn

For those who may not be familiar with the Space Quest franchise (or it's huge amount of very humorous star trek references), check out this well made and educational retrospective on the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSQKQOrpw4

10. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got my 100 in. I want that hardcopy. Also supported Wasteland 2, Leisure Suit Larry and Jane Jensen's new project.

Good to see retro gaming coming back.

Also in the board/wargame realm, with Steve Jackson Games scoring HUGE with ther Ogre Kickstarter. Car Wars is next...

11. pcj

pcj Ensign Newbie

Yeah, a lot of cool stuff to donate to. I know my priority is the Two Guys, but definitely looking forward to all the adventure games coming out in the next year or so. :techman:

12. stonester1

I'm absolutely looking forward to that one as well. And it's good my computer gaming tastes are so particular. I save on time and money.

:D

13. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Space Quest Guys Might have a hard time getting funded..still 48% away with 7 days left.

14. pcj

pcj Ensign Newbie

Erm..what? They're 53% funded with ~13 days left.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in playing the original Space Quest series games and hasn't done it yet, they're available today on Steam for 75% off ($4.99): http://store.steampowered.com/app/10110/

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Space Quest was an awesome game series.

16. Mr_Homn

17. stonester1

From what I hear, this one is going to be rich in the scifi jokes and references. Trek, natch. Star Wars, sure. I've heard Firefly/Serenity mentioned...

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

SQ:5 is by far my favorite simply because of all of the Trek references in it.

19. pcj

pcj Ensign Newbie

20. stonester1

This new game is going to ladel the jokes all across scifi. Trek and Wars, I'm certain, will be there. I've heard Firefly/Serenity will. Wouldn't be surprised if Mass Effect makes the list...