Star Trek TNG Hive #3 [delayed/cancelled?]

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Jaro Stun, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

Hi,

do you know when Hive #3 is coming out?

It seems to me like there is some trouble. Hive @2 was delayed by a month, and now Hive #3 apparently missed even the delayed deadline and on some site I have seen this is coming out in June 2013...

I have not even been able to find #3 on amazon now.

Thats kind of a pitty, despite it being a classic comic uber-story, I like it and want to see what happens next.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

June 2013 is a bogus ship date. It will be out before then.

3. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I haven't jumped into this one, the TNG/Who series has been good but wasn't all that interested in this one.

4. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IDW hasnt put out anything I was interested in for years. Pity too because they started out so excellently.

5. sulfur

sulfur Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The first came out late September. The second came out mid-November. Issue #3 is due on Dec 12 or 19th if I recall correctly.

6. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

The June ship is the tentative ship date of the TPB containing all 5(or is it 6?) issues.

7. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

It's only 4.

8. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

It has been delayed, but there is no date just yet, I would expect it to come out in December

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

December 19th.

10. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

4 issues.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

12. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picked it up and read it yesterday. I thought it was another solid book.

Spoilers....

It was great seeing Christine Vale (?) and Tuvok (?) on Titan. I thought it was an interesting choice to use Trek Lit. characters there, but not on the Enterprise. Unless Lt. Archer is coming to Trek Lit., and I wouldn't mind that at all.

Also, the end of the book actually provides a neat way to bring Data back. I've heard (but not read) that this has been done in David Mack's current TNG novels. But if it hadn't, Hive could've been a way to do it. Better, IMO, than how his resurrection was explained in the Countdown story.

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering if the Hive isn't going to end up as a sort of prequel to Countdown

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Issue 3 is decent entertainment. It does seem the name of the game here is to reunite the TNG cast, which is fine, given this is supposed to be in celebration of the 25th anniversary. But then, at some points they seem to be trying a bit too hard, like how they wrote the Titan off and now Riker's back to his post on the Enterprise's bridge.

Also, what's with the picking and choosing from novel continuity? The story itself is very incompatible with the novel contnuity, though we've seen novel ship designs pop up, including that of the Titan. And now the Titan's bridge has Vale and Tuvok on it. Why was Tuvok wearing red? Admittedly, I've only read a few Titan novels, but since he's supposed to be the tactical officer (and indeed is at tactical in his Hive cameo) shouldn't he still be in gold?

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nothing new about such picking and choosing. Various Trek licensees have been borrowing elements from each other's incompatible continuities for decades, like DC Comics using Romulan ship designs from FASA games, or DC's Who's Who in Star Trek cherrypicking backstory from both Enterprise: The First Adventure and DC's own completely contradictory version of Kirk's first mission as Enterprise captain. You also have canon borrowing characters' first names like Hikaru Sulu and Nyota Uhura from the novels, or Ron Moore tossing in a Final Reflection reference or two on DS9 even after years of creating an entirely separate version of the Klingons, or Enterprise borrowing Andorian lore from an RPG manual that it no doubt contradicted in other ways. And of course the Shatnerverse novel Captain's Glory also used characters from the Titan novels while completely contradicting their continuity, and Star Trek Online has used the novels' design for the Luna class despite being inconsistent with the novelverse.

It's no different from, say, the Superman comics adopting Jimmy Olsen and Perry White from the radio series, or the Batman comics adopting Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya from the '90s animated series, or Agent Coulson showing up on the animated Spectacular Spider-Man. Or the various different continuities of Godzilla movies bringing back the same monsters in different forms. Different versions of the same franchise borrow elements from each other all the time.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Well, being colourblind, I didn't notice, but colouring errors happen all the time. Did you see the bald Bolian medic with a white head where his stripes are?

I would venture that neither Vale nor Tuvok were mentioned in Braga's story (or the writers' manuscript) and that artist Joe Corroney just added those characters as his contribution to the coolness factor.

Nothing new about cherrypicking from TrekLit continuity, but it's rare enough that we can celebrate when it happens!

17. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What year is this supposed to take place in?

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

2382, three years after Nemesis.